Facebook & DR1

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
I have never had this problem, then again I use Mac's, so spyware isn't an issue.

You can only get spyware if you physically download an application that has it imbedded. If you don't download aplications, then you don't have a problem.
Millions of people use Facebook everyday and NEVER have a problem as they
don't download applications that are bad etc.

I'm not asking people to download anything, I'm asking them to join the "dr1.com" group.

If you join Facebook or already one of it's millions of users and you add the dr1.com group, you will NOT have a problem.

Thanks!

LuvtheDR

Apr 4, 2004
I have to agree with Robert! I use facebook, and haven't had a problem with spyware at all - but then again, I'm not accepting the invitations from people to download a bunch of applications. :cheeky:

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
there have been HUGE articles about the spyware on facebook!!! I think they finaly resolved to stop it.

One example was that if you had a friend on facebook and you made an on-line purchase your friends would be alerted. (one guy's girl got alerted when he bought a ring for her).

I'd wait a bit till they clear up the issue. ITs been all over the NY Times and Drudge and other media outlets.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
there have been HUGE articles about the spyware on facebook!!! I think they finaly resolved to stop it.

One example was that if you had a friend on facebook and you made an on-line purchase your friends would be alerted. (one guy's girl got alerted when he bought a ring for her).

I'd wait a bit till they clear up the issue. ITs been all over the NY Times and Drudge and other media outlets.

That issue had nothing to do with spyware.
That was a feature they offered in the news feed.
You now have the option to turn this off.

I don't see the issue here, if you have reservations about Facebook, don't use it. If you use it and not clear on the spyware issue, don't download applications.

Personally I love Facebook and have never had a problem and don't know anyone that has ever had a problem, just like millions of it's other users.

Casale Media may be tagged as adware or spyware by spyware detectors for its use of cookies. "The same was true of ad networks Advertising.com, Casale Media and ValueClick's FastClick, each of which had its cookies discovered by eight of the 11 spyware-tracking systems tested.
Casale Media uses anonymous cookie files to control ad delivery factors including frequency (the number of times an ad is shown to a user over a specified period of time).

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Question, how is facebook differnet than myspace, tagged, hi5 and all similar programs?

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
It's not any different on the surface, it's a social networking site.

But, it has a very large user base, has 1,000's of applications and is very active and popular right now. It's also a lot more "sticky" than other social networking sites I have played with.

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
not claiming to be an expert or nothing. I just have decided to leave face alone until things get figured out. Read a few articles how they quickly turned into devils from darlings.

Just have to be carefull with these kind of sites and, like robert said, read the "agreement" part and make sure you are not agreeing to dowload or install ANY software.

I might give a try later down the road once i read that this issue has finaly been put to rest.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Facebook does not have any issues. It's no different to using your PC and downloading anything and everything. If you do that, then sure, your going to have issues with spyware etc. Use your common sense and you will be fine, better still, buy a Mac, then all those problems go away :)

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Once again, these stories have NOTHING to do with downloadable or malicious spyware.

You gotta love the press, they know how to twist a story :)

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
ok ok ok...i'll drop it! i just thought people MIGHT want to know about the contraversy that they created a couple of months back. They seem to have dropped the "remember me" feature that showed your invited friends you internet moves and purchases etc.

I'll probably join up in a couple of months (just to make sure there is no more bad press).

When i can afford a mac i guess i wont have these worries! Am thinking of going for the powerbook since i am doing a lot of freelance these days