Activating Prepaid phones

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Has anybody ever activated one of those prepaid phones they sell here in The US down in The DR? I'm talking about like the Virgin mobile or track phones sold at Walmart.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
If you mean connect to the US phone service provided by the company you bought the prepaid service from, you can't do that in the DR. But the phone, if it is unlocked, can be used here if you sign up with Orange or Codotel and get a number from one of them. Those phones are often locked, so would have to be unlocked there or here by someone.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
If you mean connect to the US phone service provided by the company you bought the prepaid service from, you can't do that in the DR. But the phone, if it is unlocked, can be used here if you sign up with Orange or Codotel and get a number from one of them. Those phones are often locked, so would have to be unlocked there or here by someone.

I meant the latter. I know you couldn't use them with the network they use in The US, but I thought maybe you could buy them and activate them with Verizon or Orange in The DR. Was looking to see if anyone had done this...

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
You are talking about prepaid phone? I don't know if that can be done.

As far as the other type, I had my phone changed over from Cingular to Orange - it cost me RD600 and they unlocked it and changed the chip.

From what I understand the prepaid one's don't have a chip or the type that is easily interchanged and therefore that is why they can't be converted to another companies system.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
You are talking about prepaid phone? I don't know if that can be done.

As far as the other type, I had my phone changed over from Cingular to Orange - it cost me RD600 and they unlocked it and changed the chip.

From what I understand the prepaid one's don't have a chip or the type that is easily interchanged and therefore that is why they can't be converted to another companies system.

CHIP: That is WRONG!

AT&T sells prepaid GSM phones here in NY which may be unlocked @ a future date. Most GSM phones can be unlocked and used on another carrier. Some easier than others, even for free!
Prepaid cell phone, GoPhone - Wireless from AT&T, formerly Cingular

Both of these Nokias are GSM and require a SIM card. You will get a much nicer unlocked phone from eBAY. I have had no problem with any I bought.

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
I have a postpaid Verizon phone in the US which is ALSO activated on a second NAM (prepaid) with Claro in the DR.

It is CDMA, not GSM, but both Verizon and Orange offer GSM service now. I know about the Verizon because a friend of mine had an Orange phone switched to Claro in November of 2007.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
CHIP: That is WRONG!

AT&T sells prepaid GSM phones here in NY which may be unlocked @ a future date. Most GSM phones can be unlocked and used on another carrier. Some easier than others, even for free!
Prepaid cell phone, GoPhone - Wireless from AT&T, formerly Cingular

Both of these Nokias are GSM and require a SIM card. You will get a much nicer unlocked phone from eBAY. I have had no problem with any I bought.

Tambo' - work on that English PLEASE, I said "from what I understand.." which implies a certain amount of doubt for goodness sakes.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Chip:

Perhaps you should do a little research next time prior to posting incorrect information. I think my English is pretty well for my 3rd language.

You really need to work on the punctuation a little, amigo.

tambo'

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Chip:

Perhaps you should do a little research next time prior to posting incorrect information. I think my English is pretty well for my 3rd language.

You really need to work on the punctuation a little, amigo.

tambo'

Your English is ok, but don't you think it is somewhat presumptuous to correct a native speaker? My English was correct and my phrase implies doubt, make a note of it for the future. Those who think they have arrived never will.

Apr 26, 2002
Cell Phone English

You are talking about prepaid phone? I don't know if that can be done..

Try: "Are you talking about a prepaid phone? ..."

Try: "From what I understand, the prepaid one's don't have a chip or type that is easily interchanged and, therefore, that is why they can't be convered to another company's system."

Soy muy presumptuoso, entonces.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Try: "Are you talking about a prepaid phone? ..."

Try: "From what I understand, the prepaid one's don't have a chip or type that is easily interchanged and, therefore, that is why they can't be convered to another company's system."

Soy muy presumptuoso, entonces.

I guess you don't understand the phrase "from what I understand" either. However, I will give you good marks on punctuation. However, this won't help you with communicating and understanding idiomatic expressions more fully. Keep on trying though, I can see improvement. ;)

augustus

Dec 19, 2007
As Rodney King said, can't we all get along. As far as prepaid phones go, I take my old Sprint phone or newer ones to Sosua, the phone shop, next to the photo shop right off the main road up the steet from the Jail, and for as little as 700pesos if that, they take whatever phone, other than nextel and activate it, locked or not, So, save yourself that money. I always ask my friends here in Philly for whatever phones, when they update photo phones or whatever. I think Verison phones with the chips, also, but I have turned a given, locked, photo phone on, with no problem & they included 300pesos worth of minutes & I use that as my D R phone, photos and all. Hey, with all these grays, I forget WHO's WHO .

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
As Rodney King said, can't we all get along. As far as prepaid phones go, I take my old Sprint phone or newer ones to Sosua, the phone shop, next to the photo shop right off the main road up the steet from the Jail, and for as little as 700pesos if that, they take whatever phone, other than nextel and activate it, locked or not, So, save yourself that money. I always ask my friends here in Philly for whatever phones, when they update photo phones or whatever. I think Verison phones with the chips, also, but I have turned a given, locked, photo phone on, with no problem & they included 300pesos worth of minutes & I use that as my D R phone, photos and all. Hey, with all these grays, I forget WHO's WHO .

Verizon does not charge to activate a CDMA phone. In most cases, your US carrier will be cooperative unlocking your old GSM phone, so save your 700 Pesos.

Spec Ed Teacher

Apr 21, 2009
I now have a prepaid Claro, I bought a cheap phone, but now have unlocked my phone from Canada and switched the sim and voila it works, How do I tell how many minutes are left after I put 100 RD on it? Does texting take up minutes?

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Dial *22 for your balance...

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=429 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top bgColor=#ecf4fb>
Servicio
</TD><TD vAlign=top bgColor=#ecf4fb>
Precio RD$
</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top width=272>Minimensaje Nacional a n?meros Claro
</TD><TD vAlign=top width=149>
RD$1.00​
</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top width=272>Minimensaje Internacional
RD$2.50​
</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top width=272>Minimensaje Nacional a otros Operadores
RD$1.75​
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Sep 22, 2009
Anyone with a pulse and a passport can walk into Claro and buy a 600 peso Motorola under a prepaid card plan. The sim, phone and activation in a half hour for about 1200 pesos.

hey. And whats that crap above? Tamborista, now i get who you are. How rediculous.

Feb 7, 2007
Has anybody ever activated one of those prepaid phones they sell here in The US down in The DR? I'm talking about like the Virgin mobile or track phones sold at Walmart.

Virgin and Tracfone are on Sprint network, so the only option in the DR would be Tricom. They can be activated as "ID2" or whatever it's called (the second line, all CDMA phones support 2 networks that can be programmed simultaneously).

You can check out the underlying networks here
MVNOlist.com

Also worth to note is that you can get any locked GSM phone unlocked for free at most of VIVA's authorized retailers when you activate a new VIVA line (prepaid) there. You just pay 100 pesos activation, which you will get back in the form of call credit. Have passport or cedula ready.