I want to spend my summer volunteering in the DR.

goesaroundgoes

Dec 24, 2007
Hi,
I am a college freshman and I would really love to spend my summer volunteering in the Dominican Republic. I am an American citizen, but my two parents were born and raised in the Dominican Republic, so I consider myself Dominican. :)
Anyway, right now I'm considering majoring in Sociology with a minor in Social Justice and Social Policy. Maybe a double major in Politics.
I'd like to volunteer somewhere dealing with public health, habitat for humanity, or anywhere that would help those in need in the Dominican Republic.
However, this is where the problem is: most of the volunteering programs that I've looked at are too expensive and I cannot afford it at all.
Ideally I would find an organization that offers a stipend for those that are volunteering, and I was wondering if any of you guys knew where I could look for that or anything of that sort.
Thank you so much.

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
have you looked at ISV International Student Volunteers....they have some programs for the summer

tk toronto

Sep 7, 2006
I volunteered with International Student Volunteers (ISV) in the summer of 2006.

If you're worried about cost, you could raise funds because any organization/company that files its taxes in the US could write it off, so it should be fairly easy to get people to donate. I'm Canadian, so I had to pay out of pocket.

Message me if you have questions

goesaroundgoes

Dec 24, 2007
thank you everyone for your responses! each and everyone of them is very helpful. i feel that the DREAM Project would in fact be perfect for me. so now i'm looking into that.

do any of you happen to know any company or organization that donates to college students who want to volunteer abroad?

MaineGirl

The Way Life Should Be...
Jun 23, 2002
amity.beane.org
do any of you happen to know any company or organization that donates to college students who want to volunteer abroad?

This, my friend, is part and parcel of volunteering. It means clarifying your vision for what you will be doing, sharing your goal/mission/projected outcome, and pounding pavement, knocking on doors, reaching out to people who may be interested in your work. It is half the fun of volunteering your time and that is raising your funds. If you need ideas or suggestions as to how to write a good fundraising letter or start a conversation about it send me a pm. I've been there and done that.