"House Drink" - Ave. Venezuela - Mobbed!

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
After great Christmas dinner last night, me a couple of guys from the DR1 office decided to see what was open and happening after midnight.

We eliminated Lincoln etc, too many "jevitos" so we headed towards the Colonial Zone, dead! Very few people about, it was like a ghost town.

Next stop, lets see what's open on the over side of the river.
Drive down Ave. Espana, a few people about, but a little surprised at the low turn out.

Next stop, Ave. Venezuela. Oh my God! Grid lock, 1000's of people, the street was jammed! After fighting our way through the traffic, we managed to park in a side street, not far from a new bar called "House Drink. I know, stupid name, but we didn't care, it had what we wanted, people, music, drinks and atmosphere!

The place was mobbed, must have been 2,000+ people in the street, in the bar, hanging out etc etc. They played great music, lots of stunning woman and the drinks cheap (about 90% cheaper than on Lincoln etc).

A fun evening that ended at around 5am. I'm glad I wasn't the one getting up at 7am to drive and spend Christmas Day with his girlfriend family at a resort, hehehe.

Long live the "otra lado"! ;)

Mr. Lu

Bronze
Mar 26, 2007
I agree with Robert, the other side of the city has some great spots, and some good atmosphere, Macumba, Eclipse or just a colmado to drink a cold beer. Add to that cheap drinks, real energy and the women are good looking and easy to talk to. I guess there's just not that emphasis to "look good for the sake of looking good," rather an emphasis on having a good time. I mean compared with the "high end" plastic scene on this side of the city "aquel lado," presents a great alternative. Yeah, some on the board will harp about the whole "barrio" culture and "chopos" and blah blah blah, but it never hurts to listen to some good "mambo" now and then. And if I had a choice between Loft and "aquel lado" i'd chose aquel lado every single time.

Oh and by the way we need to get the fireworks back. I know kids blow their hands off all the time, but I mean it doesn't feel like Christmas without a cherry bomb going off every 15 minutes. I'm starting a petition:

Ant

Feb 1, 2002
Avenida Venezuela

I have to agree with Robert, Ave. Venezuela is the most happening strip in Santo Domingo. It seems like one big block party, and I have met some really great people.

Highly advise those who haven't been to give a look-see.

tjmurray

Bronze
Aug 11, 2006
After seeing how lively the atmosphere was on Venezuela on Christmas Eve, I have a new found love for the strip. Unfortunately, most the people I hang out with look down on Ave. Venezuela or "Aquel Lado". I guess for many if you hang out at places like, Tao, Retro, Montecristi, Tonic, Docks, etc, Ave. Venezuela is below your class. What crap!

I'm looking forward to my next visit to Ave. Venezuela and next time I will make sure I don't have to get up at 7am to drive 2 hours to Bayahibe (2 hours of sleep). Whatever, I'm young.

johnsantodomingo

May 13, 2006
I love Av. Venezuela but mostly I dont know anybody else who does. My normal hangouts are Montecristo, Trio etc... Or the Colonial Zone. So let me know when you are going.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Ok, so what if the place is below my standards, I would simply have to lower my standards. Hahahaha. Please take me along next time.
AZB

Mr. Lu

Bronze
Mar 26, 2007
It's not lowering your standards, its changing them. They just do things different on that side. I feel like this Dominican classism is expanding itself into cyberspace and getting at all you DR1ers....jejejej. Still, maybe it's money, maybe it's perception, maybe it's a whole lot of things but all I know is that they just know how to have a good time on that side. It's kind of stupid to stand on Lincoln looking at other people's cars drive by, and looking at girls that won't talk to you unless you are driving one of those fancy cars. Or standing in Loft as if someone was always taking your picture. That's dumb. It's like parking lot pimpin, without the parking lot and without the pimpin.... I'm tired of this low class bullsh*t and people looking down their noses. Actually, wait hold on lets back track a sec, AZB you have standards? Anyways, i'll promise to bring you along next time if you cook that chicken. Im not letting it die...we need more chicken. At least three or four pounds. What else can you cook?