is there such a thing as police forensics in the DR?

Sep 19, 2005
I am sure that is has to be available, but I really wonder if it ever gets used. Has anyone seen proof that it is used?

My girlfriend has a freind whos boyfreinds sister died sunday night.

she fell in the bathroom. Broke her neck. 21 years old 2 kids lived with the husband and kids.

how do the police know what happened?

they asked someone at the house.."what Happened"...right? that is it.....

We have all read reports about corrupt cops. mainly they act like keystone cops with some of the dumb things they do and get caught.

if they knew anything about forensics , they wouldnt get caught as much...

so i wonder in my mind how they would react to a case where this young woman died at home in the bathroom from a broken neck.....something pretty rare i would guess.

anyone?
bob

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
i know of at least one forensic expert working in DR and he is an american. He was a very well respected doctor in atlanta, did government work and now works in santo domingo.
AZB

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I personally don't know but would expect that the larger communties would have a coroner to do relatively simple autopsies. In fact, the must have examined the deceased person's vertabrae to determine that it indeed was broken.

As far as being a rare accident I agree. However, being that I live in the DR, I can vouch that the typical bathrooms in the homes have a hard concrete raised edge/sill and a smooth concrete floor that can be very slippery when wet. I fact I have almost busted my arse a few times in my own house when stepping on a wet tiled floor with an old pair of flip flops, lesson learned, get new ones with better grips.

jruane44

Bronze
Jul 2, 2004
A, A
I am sure that is has to be available, but I really wonder if it ever gets used. Has anyone seen proof that it is used?

My girlfriend has a freind whos boyfreinds sister died sunday night.

she fell in the bathroom. Broke her neck. 21 years old 2 kids lived with the husband and kids.

how do the police know what happened?

they asked someone at the house.."what Happened"...right? that is it.....

We have all read reports about corrupt cops. mainly they act like keystone cops with some of the dumb things they do and get caught.

if they knew anything about forensics , they wouldnt get caught as much...

so i wonder in my mind how they would react to a case where this young woman died at home in the bathroom from a broken neck.....something pretty rare i would guess.

anyone?
bob

I would find it highly unlikely that a 21 year old would fall and break her neck in the bathroom. I would lean toward domestic violence at first glance. The husband would be the first suspect. An autopsy would be able to tell if she was strangled or actually broke her neck from a fall. A broken hyoid bone and pitikia in the eyes are the tell tale sign. I hate to say it but Domestic violence is looked at by many as not really a big deal.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I would find it highly unlikely that a 21 year old would fall and break her neck in the bathroom. I would lean toward domestic violence at first glance. The husband would be the first suspect. An autopsy would be able to tell if she was strangled or actually broke her neck from a fall. A broken hyoid bone and pitikia in the eyes are the tell tale sign. I hate to say it but Domestic violence is looked at by many as not really a big deal.

This is true here in the DR, but murder is another thing altogether, I can assure you.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Instituto Nacional de Ciencias Forenses (INACIF) is headquartered in SD but they have a northern regional office in Santiago plus regional offices in Azua & SPM etc. Address in Santiago is either Av. C?sar Estrella Sadhal? No. 25
or Dr. Victor Luciano, Directora Regional Norte, Calle Pedro Francisco Bono No. 33, Santiago Tel. 809-226-1018.
(latter may be the previous address - one of the Santiago people like Chip or HB would know).

Read their website:
:: Instituto Nacional de Ciencias Forenses ::

INACIF covers the range of forensics as explained on website. Autopsies in Santiago are I think done at Jos? Mar?a Cabral y B?ez.

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
Speaking of forensics, in cases of suspicious homicides are there experts who specialize in doing analysis like DNA testing for blood, hair samples and anything else that they could come across in a crime scene?

And are the commonly called in to investigate crime scenes?

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
In terms of technology, I am sure they have the ability of most modern cities, however, they can probably only handle one or two cases at a time, due to limited resources.

I bet in most robbery or murders they don't even finger print.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Well, they certainly do ballistics. How accurately? I've never been present so I don't know but they do carry out ballistics tests certainly for elimination purposes (to eliminate your weapon from being the one used). I can't comment on how.....er.....uncontaminated this process is.

In my humble opinion scene of crime investigations are a work in progress. Frequently not helped by ungloved police moving evidence so the forenics person can be sabotaged by his own side.........

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
As most of you, I would doubt the accuracy of anything these epople might do.

Regarding the case in hand, remember that Dominican bathrooms can be deadly. I know mine is and it was " designed" by a Dominican architect. The tiles are deadly when wet, and it's a bathroom fer crissake!!!! Thanks God (as AZB would say) for rubber mats..

A famous (or infamous) beauty queen became a quadrapleagic when she slipped and fell in her bathroom...

HB

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I Worked In a Dominican Hospital for 10 years!

They don't even do autopsies!
"He Died!",cause of death? "Stopped Breathing!" "Plant 'em!"
Cris Colon

voo doo man

Dec 27, 2007
Ladies and gentlemen,
There is a unit of the National Police called police Scientifica! The process is such that when a body is reported the Sci Pol group send a Medicolegista to examin the body,and interview the family,witnesses etc. A report of that interview is then provided to the National Institute Of Forensic Pathology . The report is then correlated with the autopsy findings. The investigators also ask about possable spousal abuse. The autopsy also looks for signs of a struggle!

voo doo man

Dec 27, 2007
For those doubting Thomases in the past 18 months every maior Homicide case has been resolved, furthermore a new ballistics and tox lab are on line. The Autopsy lab in SD can handle at least 7 cases every 4-5 hours. Lastly a teaching Group from John Jay college including the Doc AZB refered to is in place and has been schooling the Police Scientifica,the prosecutors,and the new police grads for 18 months!

voo doo man

Dec 27, 2007
Dear Mr Colon ,
You are correct .The pathologists here and in the US are not trained in autopsy pathology.Only the pathologists in forensics specialize in autopsy practice. The path unit at Moscosa hospital in SD only gets 6 months of autpsy training.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
For those doubting Thomases in the past 18 months every maior Homicide case has been resolved

With the greatest of respect, sir, I would challenge that comment. Even a glance using the search function of DR1 will indicate a finding to the contrary. I'll start the list off, if you like. Lloyd Robbins murdered October 13th. 2006. Not resolved.

Other north coast cases: Lic. Milton Arnulfo del Rosario Castillo, murdered in Montellano March 2005 (ok a bit outside your 18 months frame). Not resolved. Lic. Wilson Garcia murdered in Puerto Plata April 2006. Both of these men were lawyers working out of Sosua. Resolved? What about the murder of Ing. Engels Alberto Sarita in Puerto Plata April 2006 (the drive-by shooting where Aladino Acevedo, the fish shop owner, was targetted & also killed & happened to have his architect/constructor with him). Have these been resolved?

And while we're at it, what about the Sosua Fiscal, Teodulo Ceballos killed November 2006. Resolved?

These are just some from the north coast area - I'm sure there are people who could add to this list both north coast, north east, Santiago, SD etc. Or maybe these don't count as 'major homicides'? Every homicide is major to someone...............

voo doo man

Dec 27, 2007
I was speaking to the cases in the capital. The Sarita case was a case where a buy stander was killed during an assination og a drug dealer by a rival.The others I am un aware of! Sorry

jruane44

Bronze
Jul 2, 2004
A, A
in the past 18 months every maior Homicide case has been resolved I thought that every Homicide was major. Just my oppinion.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
To Paraphrase Bill Clinton,......

"It depends on what your definition of "resolved" is?"
In the DR things can often be "RESOLVED" in "Ways" that are "Different" than in the "REAL WORLD"!
Cris Colon
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Sep 19, 2005
"It depends on what your definition of "resolved" is?"
In the DR things can often be "RESOLVED" in "Ways" that are "Different" than in the "REAL WORLD"!
Cris Colon
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

funny thing CCCCCC for those dead people it WAS the real world!!

how true...you have to get that knowledge sunken in deep to fit in.....

it is different but it is REAL......adapt!!!!

some people come here to get away from other lives and they need to FIT IN......someone people come here because they already FIT IN!!!! know what i mean.....opportunity is spread out for them in the DR...

bad bob