Junot Diaz Short Story

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
A (2) page piece of fiction entitled "Alma" appears in the Dec. 24/31 2007 issue of The New Yorker.

JE

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
Here is the link......any guy that doesn't like this story has ice water running through their veins.:cool:

You have a girlfriend named Alma, who has a long tender horse neck and a big Dominican ass that seems to exist in a fourth dimension beyond jeans. An ass that could drag the moon out of orbit. An ass she never liked until she met you. Ain’t a day that passes that you don’t want to press your face against that ass or bite the delicate sliding tendons of her neck.

Alma: Fiction: The New Yorker

Last edited:

samanasuenos

Bronze
Oct 5, 2005
I just read it - thank you for the post. As a woman, I enjoyed it. Although, for obvious different reasons. What they may be now escapes me. But I liked it.

Has anyone else had a chance to read the essay?

It has such a strong closing sentence. WOW! WAO!

Alyonka

Silver
Jun 3, 2006
I read this story and enjoyed it. I also started reading his story about Oscar Wao and really like this author's style. He has great sense of humor :)

samanasuenos

Bronze
Oct 5, 2005
Amen!

Read it when when the issue came out. And while I'm truly in awe of his words and voice, I think it's time to venture out for our sake - the rest of us wannabe-writers will be considered wannabe-J?nots otherwise.

I applaud your courage; go for it. Why not start writing and post here. They might even make a special forum for writing about the Dominican Republic; how cool would THAT be!?

-- Sammy

Alyonka

Silver
Jun 3, 2006
I applaud your courage; go for it. Why not start writing and post here. They might even make a special forum for writing about the Dominican Republic; how cool would THAT be!?

-- Sammy

I support this idea. I have seen some very good, interesting and funny pieces of writing on this site and would definitely like to read more :glasses:

Alyonka

Silver
Jun 3, 2006
What would we call the forum?

“About the DR and Dominicans”, “Dominican Impressions and Memories” or something of this nature … It will be only for those who want to write short stories about the DR, Dominicans their culture and how it compares to other people and places in the world. But definitely not for posting complaints or gossip.