Hillbilly goes north

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
As part of the 42nd anniversary celebrations, Ms. HB, HB and 1 grandson traveled to FLL via Spirit out of SDQ. As always, the flight was excellent, albeit a bit delayed.
No problem, we arrived in time to go to the Judo class and both my Fl based grandson and his " brother" had a good time. Next class is on Saturday. Good for PAPA HB and the two tykes.
There IS a thing known as reverse culture-shock. Like, if you are staggered by what you see in the DR, imagine, after what would be considered an excellent ride down Duarte Hwy. to Sto Dgo, a 35 minute crossing of the city to the airport, and an unfortunate hour's delay, to come out of FLL to the maze of highways that are SO FREAKIN' ORDERLY> The drive to Boynton Beach was shocking. Nobody cutting across lanes and thenpiling on the brakes because there was an accident across the street that they just had to see!! NO holes!! Lanes incredibly well marked. SHOCKING to the ol' HB...

Me and Ms. HB were sort of giggling about this with my son-in-law Carlos, and he said that when he came to the states he did not know how to drive!!!

And when he goes back he can't handle the DR traffic....

Of course, this morning I went to Walmart for a look-see...just a peek....

But even so, I would not give up the Hovel in Santiago for all of this....Just different, that's all...

Happy New Years to all y'alls

From the happy confines of Hovel North, somewhere in West Palm Bitch....

HB

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
As part of the 42nd anniversary celebrations, Ms. HB, HB and 1 grandson traveled to FLL via Spirit out of SDQ. As always, the flight was excellent, albeit a bit delayed.
No problem, we arrived in time to go to the Judo class and both my Fl based grandson and his " brother" had a good time. Next class is on Saturday. Good for PAPA HB and the two tykes.
There IS a thing known as reverse culture-shock. Like, if you are staggered by what you see in the DR, imagine, after what would be considered an excellent ride down Duarte Hwy. to Sto Dgo, a 35 minute crossing of the city to the airport, and an unfortunate hour's delay, to come out of FLL to the maze of highways that are SO FREAKIN' ORDERLY> The drive to Boynton Beach was shocking. Nobody cutting across lanes and thenpiling on the brakes because there was an accident across the street that they just had to see!! NO holes!! Lanes incredibly well marked. SHOCKING to the ol' HB...

Me and Ms. HB were sort of giggling about this with my son-in-law Carlos, and he said that when he came to the states he did not know how to drive!!!

And when he goes back he can't handle the DR traffic....

Of course, this morning I went to Walmart for a look-see...just a peek....

But even so, I would not give up the Hovel in Santiago for all of this....Just different, that's all...

Happy New Years to all y'alls

From the happy confines of Hovel North, somewhere in West Palm Bitch....

HB
Isn't it amazing how organized and disciplined things are in the robotic Northern society?
I wouldn't dare drive there now.
They'd probably toss me in jail and throw away the key.
Happy New Year to you and yours.

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
AWhhhh its heaven whenever i come back from Santiago and land in NYC drive along the Grand Central Parkway awhhhh its so orderly, so smooth, people are so courteous, courtesy; a concept not known in the DR :tired:

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
Drove for the first time in Canada when I went back in September and I think I was more nervous than when I was learning to drive! It was really, really hard to resist the temptation of blasting my horn away at someone asleep at a green light or zipping by a Sunday driver in a residential area. I mean I know the laws over there and everything and it's nice to be able to drive without worrying about cars cutting you off or falling into craters but it's just so boring and some habits are hard to change! lol

And with regards to Walmart, I have to admit that I went 4 times in 18 days and it wasn't just to take a peek!

Enjoy your trip!

Tallman1818

Nov 19, 2007
I love driving in DR, is just more fun than in the States I was in Santiago for Navidad and I found it really hard to get use again to the drivings rules here in Boston in DR I make the trip from Santiago to Santo Domingo in 45 minutes is just fun for me drive without order.

DannyS

Jun 19, 2007
Unfortunately that can not be said in NY/NJ

Isn't it amazing how organized and disciplined things are in the robotic Northern society?

Unfortunately that can not be said about drive the highways in the NY/NJ megalopolis. Maybe not as unruley as the DR "highways" but you know they say the middle finger is the NJ state bird because you see it so often on the highways in NJ. Road rage is the norm in that state. Serious Road Rage is epidemic there.

Try driving in Bombay or Jakarta.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Unfortunately that can not be said about drive the highways in the NY/NJ megalopolis. Maybe not as unruley as the DR "highways" but you know they say the middle finger is the NJ state bird because you see it so often on the highways in NJ. Road rage is the norm in that state. Serious Road Rage is epidemic there.

I have heard of it being a bit rough in some US areas, but 17 years of driving in the DR has prepared me well for any conditions, except being disciplined and organized.
I know that I would get busted at something.
Maybe for trying to see how fast the rent-a-car could go on those nice big smooth highways.

Tell us, HB.
Do you drive yourself around, when visiting the US?

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
AWhhhh its heaven whenever i come back from Santiago and land in NYC drive along the Grand Central Parkway awhhhh its so orderly, so smooth, people are so courteous, courtesy; a concept not known in the DR :tired:

Newyorkers courteous? I know you must be kidding...right???!!!

BTW, I don't mind driving in the DR if I'm not in a real hurry. In the States what is bad about the driving is one sits in traffic at lights all day long or if one dares to get on the expressway during peak hours one is libel to either get run off the road trying to merge only to have to come to a complete stop a 1/2 mile away. We Americans are becoming increasingly discourteous drivers, unfortunately. Dominicans are less organized for sure but really are more courteous, just remember "he who hesitates loses" and they WILL let go first if you look like you ain't stopping, kind of like Russion Roulette with cars, haha. BTW, I really love running red lights here i the DR, try that back home!

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006

really??? i thought they were always so polite compare to NY drivers, when i go from NY to NJ I see the difference.

Newyorkers courteous? I know you must be kidding...right???!!!
Compare to the DR drivers????, NY of course 100% more courteous.

margaret

Bronze
Aug 9, 2006
really??? i thought they were always so polite compare to NY drivers, when i go from NY to NJ I see the difference.

Compare to the DR drivers????, NY of course 100% more courteous.

What was fascinating to me on my recent trip South was my observation of the effect of 4 years of driving in POP on a typical Northern Canadian driver. Normally we nod and wave at people who give us the right of way, sometimes we even apologize to ourselves as we exercise our right of way. But after 4 years of driving in DR, I was astonished to hear a fellow citizen cranking down the window, using all her recently recharged beeps, and yelling "MORON, you bloody moron!" "Right buddy, just sit there and have a chat, we don't have to go anywhere, BEEEEEEEPPP you freaking MORRRROOOOONNNN!

I wish you were really coming North, Hillbilly! I'd take you to IKEA. Happy New Year to you and yours!

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Ah yes, I can see it so vividly. Within minutes of Rocky arriving to the "robotic Northern society" after so many years in fully free Dominican Republic, he:

Completely disregards this adornment along the side of the road:

hts-obey-signs-tmb.jpg

And within minutes he finds himself in the following scene, confused to the nth degree wondering what he did wrong and wondering why the cop frowned on him when he offered "a little gift for his kids", ahem!

cczone0722big.jpg

:p:p

Happy 42nd anniversary HB! That is quite something in a day and age where marriages end before they even start!

-NALs

Alyonka

Silver
Jun 3, 2006
Happy 42nd anniversary HB! That is quite something in a day and age where marriages end before they even start!
-NALs

Where is your positive thinking? :laugh:

Happy Anniversary HB!!!!!! Many more anniversaries in the years and years to come!

rick99

Nov 7, 2007
sounds like driving in the DR will be exciting. I can hardly wait. Happy New Year. Hope your trip was great.
rick