insect repelant

kevin & sammy

Oct 18, 2007
Hi ...
will be arriveing mid january and was wondering what the best insectrepelant would be.... how are the insects this time of year? any info helpful thanks... Kevin ... looking foward to a great tiip

bryan1258

Bronze
Dec 24, 2007
I bought some repellent here; Deporte, works great. This is after having the begeezus bit outta me on the south coast. I was worried about septic shock after bites became infected. Go with this repellant...and no deet as an ingredient.

jaguarbob

Bronze
Mar 2, 2004
Hi ...
will be arriveing mid january and was wondering what the best insectrepelant would be.... how are the insects this time of year? any info helpful thanks... Kevin ... looking foward to a great tiip

you can buy off here about anywhere,but a little expensive...I would recommend it at all times at night when going out to eat or what ever,the higher quantity of deet the better..the mosquitos are in rare form after dark,and under every dinning room table in the town,no matter how expensive the food.....might as well enjoy rather than bent down scratching all night.
bob

kevin & sammy

Oct 18, 2007
repelent

Thanks deet is the way to go i guess get the buggers and get em good....
i will get the stuff before i go may save a little thanks again and cant wait to get to LG

bryan1258

Bronze
Dec 24, 2007
Don't want to argue, but deets fairly toxic...and actually will melt your plastic sunglasses. Good luck

N

naturelover

you have to find one that works for you.....they are different on different people .Also avoid bananas,milk and getting pregnant coz they come after you more.
I use orange "off" for sport

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
you have to find one that works for you.....they are different on different people .Also avoid bananas,milk and getting pregnant coz they come after you more.
I use orange "off" for sport

Naturelover:

It's posts like this that cause folks to wonder if you are male or female!
I am not picking on you, just making an observation.
Does anybody else find this an odd statement for a man to make?
tambo'

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Local product DEPORTE (Available in almost every pharmacy) is cheap and effective.
Of course it will eat your plastic sunglass frames..but the bugs won't bite. And this statement is based on forty odd years at Punta Rucia where we spend a good bit of time, and which boasts some of the most ferocious "mee-mees" in this world.

So, bring a small can of off--there is a new one that I like--and get your DEPORTE here...

Bon voyage!

HB

Sep 19, 2005
Naturelover:

It's posts like this that cause folks to wonder if you are male or female!
I am not picking on you, just making an observation.
Does anybody else find this an odd statement for a man to make?
tambo'

oh tambo...you are just second guessing your own sexuality......:ninja::bunny::ninja:

hey maybe the person is both....going one way and not quite there.....ya know what i mean??

you accountant types always have to have it all spelled out ha ha ha

thats the fun sometimes trying to figure out WHAT someone is........

I had a set of Ludwigs when i was 12 ya know!!!!!!

cya

bad bob

N

naturelover

thats weird coz i thought you were a woman till recently......does it matter since i wont be having relations with you ? lol

Sep 19, 2005
hey natureboy(or girl we havent settled that yet have we?)dont write me off yet.....................oh you were talking to Tambo???
good choice i think he is much cuter than me anyway.

tambo do you have them or are they still at mom and dads house?

mine were white....I was a good guy....mine were new in 69 I believe.

bad bob

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
They are in my sister's basement/music studio. My YAMAHA's are here in my house. I normally play there and in a studio on The West Side, all I bring are stix, and my DW pedal!

t'

thurston

Apr 21, 2007
Insect repelant

Hi ...

Hi Kevin & Sammy,
To get back to your original question DEPORTE is one of the best, if not the
best, keep away from ( eyes and children) Happy Days.

carolathompson

Oct 11, 2007
I bring teatree oil with me on vacation and works great. Just put a little on your ankles and your good for the day. If at the beach put a little around your lounge chair, keeps the critters away. As well put little drops around perimeter of your room to keep insects away. The two times i was there this year I saw many people with bites, and my friend and I had none.
Very inexpensive and small for travelling. You can buy it in any drugstore.
Carol

CyaBye3015

Bronze
Jan 8, 2003
Deet

I live a part of the USA that has so many mosies that if you sat naked outside at sunset there would be so many they'd carry you off, suck out all of your blood then feed your rotting corps to their young!

The only thing that truly works is DEET! Bring it with you.

jaguarbob

Bronze
Mar 2, 2004
I use orange "off" for sport[/QUOTE

just get the best for you,remember that Dengue fever is still around and comes from mosquitos..Use it all the time..
bob

kevin & sammy

Oct 18, 2007
thanks for all the interesting sugestions.... DEET may be the answer deep woods OFF work up here in the northeasy very well use it at the beach on late summer eves and keeps the skeeters away thanks again all you DR1ers so much usefull info availiable on here and promt answers to most all questions....cant wait....

JenRob

Mar 27, 2006
Deet

The recommendation from travel clinics is to use DEET 28% to last 5-6 hours. There is no vaccine for Dengue fever which makes people VERY sick and even anti-marlarias do not protect 100%. Before I get a flurry of replies about no marlaria in certain parts of the DR--check it out for yourself, there have been reported cases I believe in the Punta Cana area. Besides which I have been annoyingly itchy and spotty bytimes and that's no fun!

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
Save your money as repellents really don't work on all species and some will even use it as you use mouth wash...

About Dengue and Malaria being a problem for you, pack your bags and goto a cold climate country. There's no way that you could be 100% protected from anything, even a lightning strike! You just have to use common sense and if going to be outdoors, forget the airy short sleeves and use long sleeves thin cotton shirts, and for crying out loud! Forget the movies or style magazines and wear long summer pants!

Common sense can help you avoid getting sick from the aforementioned ills...

l_1d921512a82c38567cb2c3af379278ee.gif