Rental Car vs. Buses

chungs

Dec 27, 2007
I am heading to the Dominican Republic with some friends in February for the first time. I have heard great things and am very excited!

I've read a few books and websites on traveling in the Dominican Republic, but I was hoping for some good advice on renting a car vs. relying on the buses.

Our plan is to arrive in Santo Domingo, then travel to Cabarete, then check out Las Terrenas, and finally end up in Punta Cana for a friend's wedding.

We will be traveling for about a week and thought that a rental car might be the only option to get to these cities. However, I've heard the buses are pretty reliable and cheap. Unfortunately, I cannot determine whether or not the buses go to all of these cities. I assume that there is a bus from Santo Domingo to Cabarete, but I'm not sure about the remainder of the trip.

Any help anyone can provide would be very much appreciated! Thanks

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
I am heading to the Dominican Republic with some friends in February for the first time. I have heard great things and am very excited!

I've read a few books and websites on traveling in the Dominican Republic, but I was hoping for some good advice on renting a car vs. relying on the buses.

Our plan is to arrive in Santo Domingo, then travel to Cabarete, then check out Las Terrenas, and finally end up in Punta Cana for a friend's wedding.

We will be traveling for about a week and thought that a rental car might be the only option to get to these cities. However, I've heard the buses are pretty reliable and cheap. Unfortunately, I cannot determine whether or not the buses go to all of these cities. I assume that there is a bus from Santo Domingo to Cabarete, but I'm not sure about the remainder of the trip.

Any help anyone can provide would be very much appreciated! Thanks
If you are several traveling together and splitting the cost of the rental, that's the way to go, as long as you buy a full insurance plan and undestand that the drivers here do not observe the rules of the road, and act accordingly.
If you are faint of heart, then don't do it, take the buses, and yes, they are reliable and cheap.

Feb 7, 2007
Always remember that from Las Teranas to Punta Cana you have to go back via Santo Domingo (in rental car and comfortable buses).

You can also go to Samana in small bus, take a ferry to Sabana de la mar, take small guagua to Hato Mayor and then take express bus to Higuey and from there express bus to Bavaro/Punta Cana.

Other option: Samana back to Santo Domingo (Caribe Tours) and from SD to Punta cana express bus. Do a search for "santo domingo punta cana" keywords.

jaguarbob

Bronze
Mar 2, 2004

Any help anyone can provide would be very much appreciated!

Thanks

take as many busses as you can,you will learn more about this beautiful country and meet so many great and friendly Dominicans.And be a little safer.I always use busses or publicos,and very inexpensive.

my two cents
bob