STI-Sosua Directions

egeth

Oct 24, 2005
Hi, Just wanted to get an update and make sure the Turistica road is open for travel. Not sure of Olga impact?

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
Yes I drive this way every day .
It is in terrible condition specially the intersection from stgo. to la cumbre.
JJ.

cab_kiter

Jan 12, 2008
Quickest route: rt 1+5 or 25?

I assume you are talking about the shorter route through the mountains (Route 25 on the maps).

What's fastest from STI to Cabarete? Two weeks ago I drove from the Santiago airport northeast on the main highway from Santo Domingo (Rt 1) and then north through Puerta Plata (Rt 5). The road was fine although it went down to one lane in spots. It took a couple hours, partly because of traffic in Santiago and Puerta Plata.

Would the more direct road, which I guess is the one you're talking about (Rt 25 through Palo Quemado), be significantly faster? I'll be going midday on Thursday in a regular rentacar.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
I assume you are talking about the shorter route through the mountains (Route 25 on the maps).

What's fastest from STI to Cabarete? Two weeks ago I drove from the Santiago airport northeast on the main highway from Santo Domingo (Rt 1) and then north through Puerto Plata (Rt 5). The road was fine although it went down to one lane in spots. It took a couple hours, partly because of traffic in Santiago and Puerto Plata.

Would the more direct road, which I guess is the one you're talking about (Rt 25 through Palo Quemado), be significantly faster? I'll be going midday on Thursday in a regular rentacar.

Thanks for any suggestions.
The fastest route is via Moca, through Jamao Al Norte to Sabaneta and onto Cabarete.
It will save you 45 minutes.
FYI: Any route you take to the North coast from STI will take you through the mountains, including the one you took through Puerto Plata.
That big highway is a lot straighter, but reaches the same altitudes as the Carretera Turistica and the road through Jamao.

cab_kiter

Jan 12, 2008
directions through Moca from STI to Cabarete

The fastest route is via Moca, through Jamao Al Norte to Sabaneta and onto Cabarete.

Thanks. Is it straightforward finding my way from STI to Moca and then the right highway to Jamao? Did I read there are several turns in Moca to make?

I found my way last time through Santiago no problem, including at night on the return. I can speak Spanish and I'm not afraid to ask for directions.

49erman

On Vacation!
Sep 3, 2006
FYI: Any route you take to the North coast from STI will take you through the mountains, including the one you took through Puerto Plata.
That big highway is a lot straighter, but reaches the same altitudes as the Carretera Turistica and the road through Jamao.

When you say via Moca, do you mean originiating in Santo Domingo or Santiago?