I have about had it with Alejandrina German

arturo

Bronze
Mar 14, 2002
DISCLAIMER/WARNING - This is a whiny post and it the views it expresses are my own and not necessarily those of DR1.

Just to qualify my annoyance with the Minister of Education, I fully understand she is an appointed official, a politician, and a long standing PLD functionary (aka "lambona"). She has to toe the party line and part of her responsibilities includes making public statements that higher ranking party officials, including the President, cannot politically afford to make - even if they are the party's and the government's position. All that aside, for the past four years she has taken demagogery to new levels that have left me utterly nauseated.

When Ellen Brineman criticized the state of Dominican education - including the shockingly small percentage of the country's economy that is devoted to educational development - in her final remarks as she left USAID, Alejandrina responded with criticism of the U.S. education system. This was classic "echarle la culpa a lo demas." To her credit, she made no attempt to defend the indefensible Dominican education system; but I think she let an excellent opportunity to remain silent go by. This week, she cited increasing numbers of Haitian students in Dominican schools as "proof" that Dominican antipathy toward Haitians is a myth. Alejandrina, as the King of Spain asked Hugo Chavez, "?por que no te callas?"

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
She is a typical Dominican politico....lots of talk and no substance.....many of us do know where the money for education has gone. Its so sad, as education is a basic foundation for real progress.:disappoin

1410022622_db45a83f88_o.jpg

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
So the following has no meaning what-so-ever? :ermm:

Year: Budget of education dept (Secretaria de Educaci?n)

In red: under PRD rule
In blue: under PLD rule
In black and bold: projected for next year

2002: RD$ 10.8b
2003: RD$ 11b

2004: RD$ 12.8b
2005: RD$ 17b
2006: RD$ 20b
2007: RD$ 25b

2008: RD$ 32b

A 250% increase in funding towards public education has occurred since 2004 to the 2008 education budget, the first significant increase in education budget given that under the entire PRD rule time period education funding remained frozen, and yet, that's all talk with no substance? :ermm:

Sources:

Secretar?a de Educaci?n pedir? presupuesto de RD$32 mil MM

S?ntesis de la Estad?sticas e Indicadores 2005-2006

-NALs

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
Hey NALs were you on R&R...I missed you except your long posts.Lol

Now to the issue on hand. Those figures you quoted above are meaningless unless they are put in context.

As I'm sure you know that Ley #66-97 or Ley Organica de la Educacion de la Republica Dominicana states that a minimum of 4% of GDP is to be spent on education. The Dominican government is spending less than half of that. According to UNESCO's latest figures its 1.1%.

The way I see it the new subway system is a good thing, but not to the detriment of the education of future generations.

http://www.unesco.cl/medios/bibliot...a_america_latina_caribe_ept_prelac_ingles.pdf
(statistic page 231)

Ley de Educaci?n: T?tulos X y XI

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Hey NALs were you on R&R...I missed you except your long posts.Lol

Now to the issue on hand. Those figures you quoted above are meaningless unless they are put in context.

As I'm sure you know that Ley #66-97 or Ley Organica de la Educacion de la Republica Dominicana states that a minimum of 4% of GDP is to be spent on education. The Dominican government is spending less than half of that. According to UNESCO's latest figures its 1.1%.

The way I see it the new subway system is a good thing, but not to the detriment of the education of future generations.

http://www.unesco.cl/medios/bibliot...a_america_latina_caribe_ept_prelac_ingles.pdf
(statistic page 231)

Nothing happens over night.

In 2002, the figure barely was 1% of GDP and the RD$32b for 2008 would put it at 2.5% of GDP. If the funding for education continues to increase in the next four years as it has in the last four, the DR will be funding much more than 4% of GDP on education by 2012 when the next elections are due.

Considering that from 2000 to 2004, the percentage of GDP devoted to education fell (mostly because funding was increased in extremely tiny amounts relative to the economy as a whole), the growth seen in the past four years are promising.

They are not promising on a short term basis, and that is the logic behind all the criticisms; but they are promising on a long term basis as long that funding continues to increase year after year as it has in the past four years.

Education funding increased substantially during the 1996-2000 PLD administration, it again has increased substantially during the 2004-2008 PLD administration and if the PLD wins in May, judging by its track record, it will continue to increase substantially between 2008-2012 time period.

It looks promising.

-NALs

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
Nothing happens over night.

The law was passed in Leonel's first administration which was in 1997. You are right about the above quote, but for some reason its much more pronounced in the Dominican Republic.:ermm:

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
Btw NALs why didn't you show the PLD figures of the first Leonel administration, 1996-2000.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Hey, what about where the rubber meets the road? The end result is the public education here stinks. Somebody should have asked the numnut education director, upon mentioning the US system, how well the average Domincan student would do with his peer in the States...can you say: well...I....but...stutter.....

Also, you guys realize that the Domincan politicians don't want an educated constituency. Why would they want to have the people actually tell when they are talking that they are full of schit?

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006

Just as I thought, from 1997 on when the law went into effect, 10 years ago, the PLD and the PRD administrations have never achieved the 4% of GDP to be spent on Education. I believe that going forward even that 4% is an inadequate figure to be able to ever achieve any real change in the educational system.

As for the PLD with Leonel as President they have held power from 1996-2000 and then again 2004-2008 and no 4%, but then again its not the first time a Dominican administration ignores its own laws.

NALs you are a genius for saying "nothing happens over night":eek:

Last edited:

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Just as I thought, from 1997 on when the law went into effect, 10 years ago, the PLD and the PRD administrations have never achieved the 4% of GDP to be spent on Education. I believe that going forward even that 4% is an inadequate figure to be able to ever achieve any real change in the educational system.

As for the PLD with Leonel as President they have held power from 1996-2000 and then again 2004-2008 and no 4%, but then again its not the first time a Dominican administration ignores its own laws.

NALs you are a genius for saying "nothing happens over night":eek:
And you are a genius in ignoring the fact that these are long term goals. Had the PRD not won the 2000 elections, the country would had been different today in many aspects, including the share of GDP invested on education.

Now its going to over 2% of GDP, a percentage that has not been seen since the 1970s as far as education spending is concerned. The goal is 4% and the investment on education has been nearing such percentage in the past 4 years. Another 4 years and it will most likely reach it, unless, of course, another party takes over and they completely disregard and undo whatever the PLD did before as did Hipolito.

-NALs

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
And you are a genius in ignoring the fact that these are long term goals.
Long term?.....well 2 years is not long term. You are the one ignoring the facts by making up this long term nonsense.

Art. 197.- El gasto p?blico anual en educaci?n debe alcanzar en un per?odo de dos a?os, a partir de la promulgaci?n de esta ley, un m?nimo de un diecis?is por ciento (16%), del gasto p?blico total o un cuatro por ciento (4%) del producto bruto interno (PBI)
Basically the above quote states that in a period of two years public expenses for education should reach a minimum of 4% of GDP.

Another 4 years and it will most likely reach it, unless, of course, another party takes over and they completely disregard and undo whatever the PLD did before as did Hipolito.

No need for another party to disregard and undo anything, the PLD has been doing it since 2004 and will do the same in 2008.

Last edited:

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
Nals;

Accordingto you, "Nothing happens 'overnight'"!
Are ayou "Overnight's" aperiod of 100 years???
It has taken this country over 500 years to reach the level of "education" it enjoys today. What will the NEXY 500 years bring unless those that hold the "Purse" rip out the strings that holdit closed andstart puuring money into th "education" system?
The DR has a very long way to go even to reach the point in education that Europe and the US have held for the past 100 yeaars.
By what stretch of the imagination (reaad that as pulling your heaad out of your collective A$$E$" and start recognizint that education is the keystone of Democracy and progress, both economically, socially and politically.
Get your head out of the sand and look around at the rest of the world, then look at the place the DR hold in theworld of Education. You might really be amazed at what you find when you do the comparisons.

Texas Bill

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
I see Nuria got the last laugh on the Education Minister. From todays DR1 News

Nuria explains
Investigative journalist Nuria Piera is explaining why she hasn't purchased a lavish summer home located in the hills of Jarabacoa from Education Minister Alejandrina German. After releasing the story of the vacation home that contrasted with the poor conditions at the public school in the same community, German said she would sell the home to Piera. Piera says the purchase didn't take place, not because of a lack of money, but because the land the house is built on is the subject of litigation. Piera said that herplan for the home was to either build a children's home or to give it away, but that she decided not to buy it on advice from friends.

Emboldening mine. Nice one Nuria! :)

qgrande

Bronze
Jul 27, 2005
Also, you guys realize that the Domincan politicians don't want an educated constituency. Why would they want to have the people actually tell when they are talking that they are full of schit?
This is a bold statement and an interesting point.
Of course there are plenty of historical examples of dictators and pseudo-dictators actively keeping their populations uneducated, to avoid too much criticism. I think the Duvaliers and even Aristide are said to have followed this policy. And in the Dominican context, an uneducated uncritical population is of course a necessary element in a system of caciquismo.

But what about today's Dominican political elite? Do they actively and consciously underfund education and keep the Dominican population uneducated to maintain the political status quo? Or are they perhaps mildly yet genuinly interested in improving education, but end up being even more interested in filling their own pockets and spending money on projects that build short-term loyalty?

Mar 2, 2008
qgrande asks a very good question. To find the answer one must ask another basic question, Cui bono? Who benefits from an uneducated populous? Perhaps not all within the Political leadership of both major parties, but perhaps a large enough number to keep the process slowed to a crawl. One thing is certain, the longer the people of the DR are kept to a very basic education the political leaders with have an almost exclusive lock on the benefits of "leadership."

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
But what about today's Dominican political elite? Do they actively and consciously underfund education and keep the Dominican population uneducated to maintain the political status quo? Or are they perhaps mildly yet genuinly interested in improving education, but end up being even more interested in filling their own pockets and spending money on projects that build short-term loyalty?

I think the last sentence of catcherintherye's post is more accurate in regards to the DR's commitment to education. Both Leonel and Alejandrina were professors at UASD and Alejandrina was one of my wife's teachers. Yris was expecting better from both of them and has had several communications with them in regards to education. For all you that think there has been no progress you are wrong. There has been some, definitely not enough, but for example: Every school in the DR, public or private is suppose to have a vision and mission statement and a yearly project or goal for improving some aspect of education. Yris has done this unofficially for the past 15 years, Last year and this year are the first years that her school has been inspected by the ministry, with clear guidelines on what she has to have at the school, teacher's qualifications....etc. This year is also the first year that the mission statement, vision...etc had to be presented the the ministry. To me this is a good sign that the government is taking an active role to improve quality of education. One of the big problems as I see it with education in the DR is the strength of the teachers association. Many, perhaps even most people that become teachers in the DR do it because once in the public school system it is a job for life, with guaranteed pension...etc. I also see a lack of planning in the building of schools- most schools were not build for expansion...i.e no ability to put a second floor on them. With the huge population growth the governments past and present have not planned for the future. Where there is hope there is life.

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
The fact that she manages a private school explains why its better than the public ones. The public schools are the ones suffering from low funding.