Do you dream in Spanish?

jrf

Bronze
Jan 9, 2005
I noticed a funny thing the other night when I woke up from a dream.
The RD is on my mind a lot and I will be back soon after being there for November.
I found that I was dreaming in Spanish and about the RD quite a bit. Have to say that I love it there, mostly, and certainly enjoy my time there but to dream in Spanish was something new.
Part of 'assimilation' maybe?
(BTW I'm English speaking Canadian)

N

naturelover

"dominican Dreaming"

I wish i could dream or even talk in spanish...............does a dream about drowning in mangu count

london777

Bronze
Dec 22, 2005
I am English speaking and have started learning a few languages as an adult without having much natural aptitude for it. I battle away for a few months at the grammar without much result then the first indication that I am making the breakthrough is when I wake up with a word or phrase from that language on my brain. From around that time I am able to converse (albeit very basic stuff) without having to translate in my head first.

Another issue is that our minds can play tricks. How do we know that we actually dream in any one language? Maybe our dreams lie at a lower level of the subconscious than language and we "interpret" them as being in English, Spanish, or whatever only when we wake up?

tee

Bronze
Sep 14, 2007
Cabarete
I am lucky enough to speak four languages fluently, English, Spanish, French and Italian. I have had dreams in all 4 languages. This is quite normal, and quite often I find that the last language I spoke before I went to sleep usually determines my dream. I also think a lot in those languages without realizing. As I live here in the D.R. I find myself thinking in either English or Spanish as that is the two main languages I use on a daily basis. If I am with a group of French or Italian speaking people then my brain automaticaly changes to that language and what I am thinking at the time will also be in that language.
I used to work on a cruise ship for 5 years and at any given time I would have to speak all 4 languages quite literaly at the same time, having questions fired at me from all directions,and my brain adjusted to each one and then right back to another.
Good to know that at least some part of my brain is still working.
It is a well known fact that your brain is healtier when you can speak another language as it is more active than a person that speaks just one....so for those of you out there that only speak one language, time to get those Spanish books out...lol

N

naturelover

drat ...i hate you ...I cant
even think in english and thats my native language....lol

johnsantodomingo

May 13, 2006
My native language is Danish but I hardly ever speak it. Only English and Spanish. So I most of the time I think in English or Spanish. Only when I count money I really have to concentrate and then I think and speak in Danish.

oldschool

Oct 9, 2004
I don't know

I have a hard time remembering my dreams let alone which language there in.

does this happen to anybody else. Maybe I lead a boring life and have nothing exciting to dream about. Or maybe I live out my dreams in real life so I have no need to dream.

I'm confused?

or dreaming.....

Help....:paranoid:

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I Do!......i Think!

All the women I am having "Relations" with in "My Dreams",are "Spanish"!
Does THAT count?
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

DrChrisHE

On Probation!
Jul 23, 2006
Dreaming in PERFECT Spanish!

LOL-- After several months of living in the DR, I found myself dreaming in Spanish; but the funny part was it was PERFECT Spanish.

Then came the times when I was running or swimming with my iPod (I have a waterproof housing--love it)...and found myself translating songs from English into Spanish (I tend to have regular playlists so repetition helps.) That is when I decided that maybe I should try actually exercising to Spanish songs. THAT triggered MAJOR dreaming in Spanish with the songs as a "sound track"!

For those of you who want a diff approach to learning Spanish, I found music helped a lot with things like the proper preposition placement and rapid fire common idiomatic phrases. Of course my dh seems to think that all I'm learning is the ridiculously dramatic, flowery lingo of Spanish lyrics, but I think it helps. I find myself just saying things in Spanish without thinking about the construction. The dreaming came first. If others have experiences like this, I'd be interested in hearing them.

BTW, it helps if you go online and get the lyrics actually printed out in Spanish--otherwise you might be making up the most 'interesting' phrases.