New type of voip

Techman

Dec 29, 2007
This is not advertising , i am not selling anything. i am just bring to good news.......

I bought online this new thing called a Magicjack and it works great .....

It's a USB donggle the size of a usb drive...... with a phone jack

for $US40 the 1st year and $US20 for the next... you get unlimited USA , CANADA and PR calling...... and a USA number for incoming calls.

I know many have tried vonage and Skype and those are good , but this for me is just great.

You can just carry this in your laptop bag and where ever you have wifi you can talk .......... with a regular phone or via it built in software phone.....

I have tried it in bellavista mall and other wifi spots, no problemas what so ever .........

you can buy it online at magicJack ........

I have Vonage for work and i'm considering canceling it for this , it's much more mobile and no bills.

Sometime i just carry the dongle with me and if i can sit at a pc with internet i plug it in , and in 2 minutes i'm calling. It fits in that small pocket in your jeans....... now i have a use for that pocket HAHAHAHHAHAHAH......

I know there are people selling it here in the DR , but i bought it myself from the site, if you want you can buy it online for yourself....

Anyone else here has tried it ........ It's great

Techman

Dec 29, 2007
sorry chris i really did not mean to spam , it may sound like an ad , but it's mostly just my review of the jack

Jan 9, 2004
There's magic in magicjack

I have been using the Magicjack for several months now. To me, it is far superior, more user friendly and less expensive than Skype, Vonage, OOMA, voipbuster, lingo etc.

The sound quality has been excellent for almost all calls and I can also attest that it does work well in the D.R., provided you have a high speed internet connection.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
The sound quality has been excellent for almost all calls and I can also attest that it does work well in the D.R., provided you have a high speed internet connection.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

The way I understand it playacaribe2, is that one still needs a telephone? Not like Skype where you just pop the headset on your head?

And only for North American calls?

Jan 9, 2004
Chris:

The device plugs into a USB port and you plug any telephone into the device. Just to be clear, you do not need phone service, just high speed internet and any telephone.

There is a softphone that appears on the screen, but not being that tech savvy (I stumbled onto magicjack quite by accident) I am not sure if you can get by with just a headset. Perhaps other users will/can weigh in with their knowledge.

For the moment, calls can only be made free to phone numbers in the U.S. and Canada. However, they have been constantly updating and innovating the product. With some tweaking, this could very well be a category killer application.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

The way I understand it playacaribe2, is that one still needs a telephone? Not like Skype where you just pop the headset on your head?

POP Bad Boy

Bronze
Jun 27, 2004
MagicJack...........

......is one of the reasons I had posted a thread "communications" a few days back. I have seen it on TV and was trying to figure out how it could be applied to calls in and out of the "Dominican Republic"........ Robert suggested using the "Best of" forum for different types of communications, and I started one thread.............that's when "Techman" started to respond.

Maybe those using it could explain it better......ie: calls from computers to computers??? and to land lines?????? and to the DR from Where??????? etc....

gamana

Apr 24, 2006
Has anybody tried this magicjack with a satellite connection? I am having issues using Skype and Ichat because of the latency.

Techman

Dec 29, 2007

You can use a regular phone or a head set on the pc

as of now it works with windows and mac

as of now only USA and Canada and PR.... but they will be selling prepaid international minutes as of 2008.......

since its a small usb dongle you can carry it almost anywhere....

oh yeah price wise you can't beat it $20 for a full year unlimited that's alot of callsssss

Last edited:

Techman

Dec 29, 2007
Has anybody tried this magicjack with a satellite connection? I am having issues using Skype and Ichat because of the latency.

i believe you will have the same problems with this too..... where do you live maybe i ca visit and we can test.

james

Jan 14, 2002
Hi, if this sytem works to reach St. Croix, USVI then I would be very interested to try it. Right now vonage does very well for there but obviously there is a big price difference. Has anyone tried ot to St. Croix or St. Thomas

Jan 9, 2004
Yes, U.S. Virgin Islands is also included.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Hi, if this sytem works to reach St. Croix, USVI then I would be very interested to try it. Right now vonage does very well for there but obviously there is a big price difference. Has anyone tried ot to St. Croix or St. Thomas

chillindr

Mar 6, 2007
From what I read on the website you would have to purchase minutes to call those locations but if the person you are calling there has magicjack they can call you and vice versa for no cost.

Jan 9, 2004
No.

As chillindr has pointed out, magicjack has said that they will begin selling International minutes sometime in January, 2008.

However, if you take the device (which is a little larger than the size of an old zippo cigarette lighter) to the D.R. and you have a high speed internet connection and any old phone (landline phone service is not necessary), then you are in business to call.

Once you plug the magicjack into your computer it takes you through setup, wherein you select an area code from a drop down menu. From there the software assigns you a number local to that area code. If you do not like the number, I believe they allow you to change it once for free. There has also been some talk about letting you choose a so called "vanity number." However, if that feature is added, you can probably assume that there will be an additional fee.

So from the D.R. perspective, you would now have a U.S. area code and number while on the Island. That in turn allows you to make calls to the U.S. including Puerto Rico, U.S. Virgin Islands and Canada for the price of $46.90 which includes purchasing the magicjack, one year of phone service, and shipping. The following year service is currently priced at $19.95.

The "phone" has many features at no cost. Call forwarding, call waiting, voicemail, etc. The downside from the D.R. perspective is that you must have your computer on 24/7 to receive calls (voicemail works even if the computer or power is off), you cannot call local D.R. numbers or any other countries not listed above.

Bottom line is that if you are in the D.R. and need or want to make frequent calls to the U.S. or Canada, this is a great inexpensive option.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

.....the question I have would be..........can you call 809/829 from the US with the Magicjack at no charge?

Last edited:

POP Bad Boy

Bronze
Jun 27, 2004
Well..............

...........I just ordered it ......going to give it a try............

using it at this point on the DR side to call the US...........

NOW, IF it is programmed in my computer in the US, I can take it to the DR and just plug it in? or should I program it in the DR??? on a DR computer??

.........ACTUALLY, I just answered my own question by watching the informational video on the website.....YOU CAN CALL **FROM*** anywhere in the world............TO the US/Canada etc..........

......so it should be a good thing to try here in the DR........

Last edited: