Fyi

bryan1258

Bronze
Dec 24, 2007
There are a lot of serious threads and posts on this site so I apologize for this.
Just payed 18 bucks for a hamburger, no cheese, no fries, plus salad and two soda waters, no alcohol. La Roca, Sosua......Kiwi John was nowhere to be found!!!!!

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
I have never had a problem there. You really should not trash a man's business on the internet because you ordered items "off the menu", and neglected to ask the price. You know a burger and fries with a soda is under $6 @ Rocky's or Britannia Pub?

bryan1258

Bronze
Dec 24, 2007
I have never had a problem there. You really should not trash a man's business on the internet because you ordered items "off the menu", and neglected to ask the price.

Here it is. I'll trash any somebitch that gives me an 18dollar bill for a friken burger off the damn menu....out

BlueLodge

Dec 28, 2005
I feel for you Bryan. About $5.00 for a burger, coke and fries at Rocky's, about $6.00 at the Scandanavian Bar on the beach.
La Roca was one of my visits several years ago, food was just so-so, nothing special. What stood out was the final talley on the bill with tax and service. I went back a couple years later for the Friday night barbque. Now I know what happens to all out of date meat.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
I have never had a problem there. You really should not trash a man's business on the internet because you ordered items "off the menu", and neglected to ask the price. You know a burger and fries with a soda is under $6 @ Rocky's or Britannia Pub?

It's been ages since I ate there. Last time I ate in Sosua was the famous Rocky ribs which were excellent :) but when I did last eat at La Roca the menu then had burgers on it. And prices. Can you remember Tambo if your menu had burgers on it?

trabajadora

Aug 29, 2007
That's wild! How much for a burger and salad???? First of all, I would never order ANYTHING from a menu with no prices. First mistake. The first and only time I ever went to La Roca was when I came here to secure an apartment back before I moved here. We sat down at La Roca and were presented with (I guess) the "special menu" and it didn't have any prices on it. I was suspicious. Then I looked around and didn't see any other people eating there. Doubly suspicious. So I looked across the street and saw Morua Mai and I had no problem getting up and saying "no thank you, we changed our minds" and walking directly across the street. From that time, I've never even thought about going back to La Roca. And now that I am reading about the ribs, oh heck no, Rocky's is waiting for me!!!

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"A FOOL And His Money Are Soon Parted"!!!

Like "P.T. Barnum" said,"There's ONE Born Every Minute!
Should have posted on DR1 BEFORE you went!
Cris Colon

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
And last night we went to Ringling Bros & Barnum and Bailey Circus...everything was so expensive. Water $2, popcorn $6; Ice Cone $8....Coloring book and a clown nose $8...But the kids had fun and grandpa did too....

(That's US $$$)

HB

Eager to get to Rocky's ribs and Garlic Chicken

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
And last night we went to Ringling Bros & Barnum and Bailey Circus...everything was so expensive. Water $2, popcorn $6; Ice Cone $8....Coloring book and a clown nose $8...But the kids had fun and grandpa did too....

(That's US $$$)

HB

Eager to get to Rocky's ribs and Garlic Chicken

Don't visit Yankee stadium unless you want to get shocked to death!!!
l_0395ecae5e4ff327481c0ae528bcd7f0.gif

alicious

Bronze
Oct 2, 2007
And u paid it?????

Daaaamn....I wouldn't pay that!

Did you even complain or question the price at the time?
I haven't been to La Roca personally, but unless its some super high class fancy a$$ place...I would def. not pay that!

I'm heading to the Hilton Hotel in Toledo in about 1 week, and I've checked their room service menu. Their hamburgers are 18 euros plus taxes!!! (7%)

Then again I don't know if La Roca would compare to Hilton Room Service??:cheeky:

But I know for sure I won't be paying for a 18 Euro burger..lol..even if it's "gourmet"...

tarrantino

Jan 12, 2006
Sometimes, one has no choice.
I've been there, done that, where a waiter brought me a gigantic surprise bill.
What can you do?
You pay it begrudgingly and never go back.

Exactly, what else is there to do? Geez, but I can just feel the pain.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
If You Have "KIDS",or "Grand Kids", You take them to the Circus!

Pay "Whatever" it costs!
"Memories" are "priceless"!
Funny you should mention "Garlic Chicken",and "Ribs" at Rocky's. I just send a long time friend to Rocky's. I told him that he MUST have "Garlic Chicken" and "Ribs"!!!
They are only a distant memory for me.:ermm:
Cris colonnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Exactly, what else is there to do? Geez, but I can just feel the pain.
Yup, It's not a good feeling to overpay or feel that you've been scammed, and the only thing one can do other than not going back, is to do as the OP did, write about it on the net.
The following thread is not quite the same deal, as I actually found foreign objects in my meal, but the result was the same, when the waitress insisted that I pay for the meal just the same, so I did as the OP did and wrote about it on the net.
http://www.dr1.com/forums/living/34520-plastic-hairy-burritos.html
It gives one the chance to vent a bit, and maybe even get even, if others decide to not frequent the place in question, and maybe, just maybe, the owners will see the post and smarten up and not scam people in the future. (referring to AguaCerros)

trabajadora

Aug 29, 2007
Yuck! Yes, the internet is amazing and I'm sooo happy I happened to read this thread. I've eaten at Aguaceros several times. The first time, I had a turkey club sandwich which was really pretty tasty. That's why we went back a couple more times but the food seemed to have changed for the worse. Then one day I went with my cousin and his new bride for lunch and was quite disappointed with my food. I decided then and there, I'd never go back. But the last time took the cake. We went for dinner with another couple who had just gotten married and I ordered fish. It was awful and didn't feel like it was done (you know how it feels in your mouth when it's not cooked thoroughly?). Well I hardly ate any of it. NOW after reading this thread, I KNOW I'LL never eat there again. Even if someone invites me, I'll just have a Presidente and call it a day.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Next time you get a bill like that ask for the proprietor and tell him if insists on charging you inflated prices, that whenever you get back to the States that you will post your experience on a "well known" internet forum that is visited by thousand of international tourists who visit the DR every year and the word will get out quickly that the place is a ripoff and their business will surely suffer.

This may not be far from the truth, we had a poster here complaining about a business here in the DR and I made a call to the business on the poster's behalf. It turned out the owner of the business was quite upset that the aforementioned person(the poster) had posted a bad experience on the "internet" and it was all over the island, giving him bad publicity.