What special ways do you celebrate?

marliejaneca

Bronze
Oct 7, 2003
Okay, we know how Rocky,Ted, Alan, Sue, Kurt, Sandy, Tom, Tanya et al all celebrate New Years Eve.... and what a hard act that is to follow!:cheeky:

I am interested in what other ways folks here at DR1 celebrate it? Any unique ideas to share?

I will start...

Our neighbours are having a bonfire and the neighbourhood is invited. They have strung up lights all through the forest, down a path to the bonfire pit. They have their ice-fishing shack down there with heaters on, which will serve as a warm-up area as well as a place to serve the "feast" . They have run speaker wires down to the pit as well so we may listen to music. They have logs set up for chairs, or you can bring your own.

The meal consists of fresh smoked Turkey, fresh caught crappie and walleye deep fried, deer poppers (compliments of me!!), and all the other fixins'.

Mind you, a fresh blanket of snow which consisted of 4 inches fell overnight so that kind of brought on more work, but at least the temperature is only going to be -9 Celcius!!!

A wonderful gathering of friends and neighbours, children and pets and the fresh outdoors - couldn't get any better than this.... or could it?

Your turn...

Happy New Year

Marlie

Alyonka

Silver
Jun 3, 2006
We went to a theater to watch "Swan Lake" one evening on the 31st. It was FUN.

Happy New Year to everyone! :bunny:

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
I'll be working in my colmado with Dominican and Haitian music at full volume, rushed off my feet making ham and cheese toated sandwiches and doling out cold presidentes and little bottls of rum!! Feel free to call in for a drink if you are passing!!!

matilda

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Mi turno....

I really do NOT make a big deal out of Holidays anymore but I know it's not fair to SOME of my family and friends so I try my best to be festive around them.

We were invited to "welcome" the new year at my childhood friends' house and that's where I will be....We will have our own "fireworks" display on his backyard.

I will make a few "easy to make" dishes and bring them along.

It it's anything like the past, we will have a great time!.

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
I stay at home and make sure all my extended family, as in mom, dad, sis, etc... Do as well...

So many drunk people driving and crazy stuff going on it's best to keep at home and make sure that this day will always be one to be joyous about and not a remembrance to all the family of a tragic loss...

It's a day to reflect on our lives and goals. To pass muster with what went right and what didn't. Auto-critic our person and aims this past year and reflect on the opportunities that the next is sure to bring with it.

A day to meet yet again with ourselves in deep exploration of our individuality and hopes. A day to once again give back something to the community as proof of our maturity and acceptance that we can't fix it all but sure can add our little grain to it to make it better.

2LeftFeet

Bronze
Dec 1, 2006
Since I live in NYC so I will be at Times Square at the Ball. This year, I am told is the 100th year anniversary of this tradition. So the ball is BIGGER, brighter and badder than it's ever been!!! It should be fun!

I usually don't do this but this year that's where I will be. It's not too cold today. There is no snow so.. it should be bearable.

Happy New Year to everyone! Be safe out there where ever you are!!

marliejaneca

Bronze
Oct 7, 2003
So many drunk people driving and crazy stuff going on it's best to keep at home and make sure that this day will always be one to be joyous about and not a remembrance to all the family of a tragic loss...

That is why we are going to the festivities that I wrote about... everyone in our neighbourhood will walk to the bonfire. We have even joked about giving people rides home in wheelbarrows so they don't have to walk intoxicated!! LOL

Come on folks - share some more unique New Years Eve celebrations!

Marlie

alicious

Bronze
Oct 2, 2007
Well this year...I'm headed to a friends' friends' BIIIG house party.
They are having a DJ and they always have strobe lights and fog machines set up.
Usually 200+ ppl...
Always a good time.
All buses are free from 6pm-4am, so no one has to drive...plus alot of Taxi companies and M.A.D.D sponsored drivers drive for free.
I know a lot of ppl find New Years a time to be with family, but my family are not big partiers...
To me Xmas is a family time and New Years is a party time.

So maybe it's a bit shallow..but to me I love my New Years at a party with some of my closest friends...don't mind how big or small...

Oh..and one of the most important things...MUCHO champagne! ;)

Would love to go to NY for Times Square one year...

And hopefully (maybe next year) to go to Rocky's... :D

Maybe it's nothing special, but I know I will have a good time :)

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
To me Xmas is a family time and New Years is a party time.

So maybe it's a bit shallow..but to me I love my New Years at a party with some of my closest friends...don't mind how big or small...

Oh..and one of the most important things...MUCHO champagne! ;)
Wow..
That is EXACTLY how I feel.
It's party time tonight, and it I don't care if it's big or small and it has to include Champagne.
To me, that is the very description of New Year's Eve.

sollie

Jul 30, 2006
"It's a day to reflect on our lives and goals. To pass muster with what went right and what didn't. Auto-critic our person and aims this past year and reflect on the opportunities that the next is sure to bring with it.

A day to meet yet again with ourselves in deep exploration of our individuality and hopes. A day to once again give back something to the community as proof of our maturity and acceptance that we can't fix it all but sure can add our little grain to it to make it better."

Well said and may next year bring untold moments of meaning, contentment, and wellness to all.

Sollie

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Asi mismo......

That is why we are going to the festivities that I wrote about... everyone in our neighbourhood will walk to the bonfire. We have even joked about giving people rides home in wheelbarrows so they don't have to walk intoxicated!! LOL

Come on folks - share some more unique New Years Eve celebrations!

Marlie
Ok darling, how about this for "unique":

My buddy told us fat people to bring swim shorts because at 12, we will be in the backyward and we ARE going to jump into the pool, IN THE FREEZING COLD!!!. NOOOOOT the skinny people....JUST the fat ones!!!.

I AM TOAST!!!!!.

My daughter and g/f have NOT stopped laughling!!....ALLLL they can say is "ooooh, poor gorditos".

Ooooh, the INSANITY.....ANNNND THE HORROR!!!!.