inter-city travel

bayareabeej

Jan 1, 2008
I am trying to find the approximate cost and if possible the schedule of whatever the cheapest transportatation is from Samana to Puerto Plata. I am working on a travel project for my spanish class and this is one of the final reuirements i need to complete my itenerary. Thanks for your help.

Me_again

Bronze
Nov 21, 2004
Small bus (commonly called the purple bus) leaves Puerto Plata daily and early for Samana (the city) and another one for Las Terrenas. Transporte Papagayo is the operator. If you want the phone number PM me, I don't have it at this "box". Cost was about 200 RDP to Samana last year. Time about three and a half hours. If you search this forum you'll find a few references to it.

The return (which is what I now see you asked about) is similar --- I think departure is early afternoon from Samana.

Last edited:

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
It leaves Samana around 09h30/10h00. To be honest, the "schedule" is variable as we experienced back in November. Cost was $RD150 each way. This bus doesnt go to Las Terrenas, it stops in Sanchez and one has to take a taxi over the mountain road to get there.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
It leaves Samana around 09h30/10h00. To be honest, the "schedule" is variable as we experienced back in November. Cost was $RD150 each way. This bus doesnt go to Las Terrenas, it stops in Sanchez and one has to take a taxi over the mountain road to get there.
What a deal.........
We hear people complain all the time about things being so expensive, but this ain't one of them.
Imagine being able to take a public bus in North America or Europe, for a 3 hour ride (200 km) at a cost of less than 5 bux.

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
What a deal.........
We hear people complain all the time about things being so expensive, but this ain't one of them.
Imagine being able to take a public bus in North America or Europe, for a 3 hour ride (200 km) at a cost of less than 5 bux.

I know, it certainly is a great deal! Now they did try charge the gringos in the group $RD350 but stand your ground people!;)
From a tourist perspective, public transportation is ridiculously cheap in DR and I think the service is great.
In NA, that is the equivalent of the expected "propina" for the driver! lol

Sep 19, 2005
What a deal.........

ha ha ha welllllllllll a 3 hour bus ride in america and a 3 hour bus ride in the DR......is apples and oranges baby.......in the DR you might get a few zip codes away from where you started, but in america you can get a few states away from where you started.

I would concede that if you know what the local pays for stuff and can get it...you can find things that are a bargain compared to america.

it was a better story before we knew that the bus company tried to gouge the tourist at more than DOUBLE the fee!!!

bad bob