Only 2 to a motorbike

bryan1258

Bronze
Dec 24, 2007
Almost ran over a 20ft piece of PVC pipe trailing behind a motorbike with three guys wearing hardhats in SD. I was blatantly tailgating........never thought I'd say that about my driving here. HA

drmc

Jun 10, 2007
My parents came to visit me in the DR last May and the first thing they saw driving through Santiago was a moto ...2 guys along with a huge brass metal bed headboard they were transporting .... HILARIOUS ...and a great way to welcome them into their first 3rd world country!

this new law is interesting ...I'm not sure how most of the families in my neighborhood are going to take all of their kids to school in one trip now :)

I'll admit, the most I've ridden is 3 on a little paseo with 2 backpacks ...never again ...I don't know how they all do it, but they sure make it look easy.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
this new law is interesting ...I'm not sure how most of the families in my neighborhood are going to take all of their kids to school in one trip now :)
The country's not ready for this law to be enforced.
What about the mother who has to run to the local clinic or hospital with her sick young baby?

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
My guess would be that babies in arms wouldn't count as passengers. Interestingly Ley 241 Articulo 105 (Page 110 of the pdf) says that a child under 8 years doesn't count as a passenger in motor vehicles (& 2 children aged 2-8 years = 1 passenger) but when you scroll down to the motorbikes part - Articulo 135 - it just says passengers limited to number of seats or sidecar available. Mind you I might have missed it - I didn't read every single page!
http://www.amet.gov.do/LEY241/LEY241.pdf

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
The DR1 news states "more than 2 passengers".
So to me that would be a total of 3 people on the bike, driver not being a passenger.

Does the law say 2 people or 2 passengers?

Don

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
My guess would be that babies in arms wouldn't count as passengers. Interestingly Ley 241 Articulo 105 (Page 110 of the pdf) says that a child under 8 years doesn't count as a passenger in motor vehicles (& 2 children aged 2-8 years = 1 passenger) but when you scroll down to the motorbikes part - Articulo 135 - it just says passengers limited to number of seats or sidecar available. Mind you I might have missed it - I didn't read every single page!
http://www.amet.gov.do/LEY241/LEY241.pdf
That makes good sense.
Although I agree that motoconchos need a bit more control, the well being and financial state of the general populus has to be considered in applying certain laws.
The DR would be a better & safer place to live in if motoconchos were forced to have mirrors & baffles in their exhaust pipes (mufflers), and if the Amet cops started forcing them to observe the rules of the road, like one ways & red lights.
More lives would be saved doing this, than enforcing the maximum passenger laws.

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
agreed...what scares me more is what they carry on the motos (pvc pipe, bathtubs, etc.)....

alicious

Bronze
Oct 2, 2007
I just can't see this be seriously enforced....unless they are just giving out fines to make some extra $$$...

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
I just can't see this be seriously enforced....unless they are just giving out fines to make some extra $$$...
As it is a main office decision, I do believe that they will enforce it.
There is a possibility that it will fade away with time, as the helmet laws have, but I think they are a bit more serious about this one.

trabajadora

Aug 29, 2007
That makes good sense.
Although I agree that motoconchos need a bit more control, the well being and financial state of the general populus has to be considered in applying certain laws.
The DR would be a better & safer place to live in if motoconchos were forced to have mirrors & baffles in their exhaust pipes (mufflers), and if the Amet cops started forcing them to observe the rules of the road, like one ways & red lights.
More lives would be saved doing this, than enforcing the maximum passenger laws.

I agree with all that you said Rocky. First of all, that this country is NOT ready for a law like this. Not sayiing that they ever would be, but it needs to be somehow gradually enforced because, like someone else mentioned, this is the only affordable way that a lot of mothers/fathers have of getting their kids to school or wherever they need to go, in one trip. But I also agree that they definately need to put more controls and enforce the laws when it comes to motoconcho driving safety. All those things you described in terms of what they're allowed to get away with need to be halted. Just this mornng I almost hit one who just darted into the main road from the left side of the street with a big truck coming at him from the opposite direction and me coming from the direction he was intending to go in. He was stuck there in the middle and thank God nobody was right on my tail and I was able to slow down enough to let him get in front of me and out of the path of the big truck. That's why I try to always drive at a speed where I'm in control and can slow down or stop if need be.

Anyway, as I write this, I'm still ****ed off at the big dent in the back of my truck from a drunk motoconcho slamming into the back of it when my husband had slowed down to make a right hand turn onto our street a few nights ago. The moto argued that it was my husband's fault and so the discussion got heated and off to the police station they went with his bleeding passenger in tow. Then, just to avoid missing a day of work the next morning to appear at the Justice office to fight for his rights, plus to avoid having to leave the truck with the police for the night, my husband ended up paying the police to just let it go!! Meanwhile my truck is starting to rust already from the dent.

And finally, I'll still never forget the first time I saw a strange object being carried on the back of a motoconcho. I had already witnessed the washing machine, refrigerator, propane tanks, steel/wooden beams, etc., etc..... but the full-sized casket was really spooky. Still don't know if there was a body inside or not.

:bunny:

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
As it is a main office decision, I do believe that they will enforce it.
There is a possibility that it will fade away with time, as the helmet laws have, but I think they are a bit more serious about this one.

According to the current DR1 news:

COE will control motorbikes

The Center for Emergency Operations (COE) announced that with the help of the National Police and the Transit Authority (AMET), officials will coordinate a plan to confiscate bikes from motorbikers that drive without helmets, with more than two passengers, or are caught drunk driving. COE announced 5,000 additional volunteers will be patrolling cities, bringing the total of agents at work during the holidays to 40,000.

samanasuenos

Bronze
Oct 5, 2005
How many live chickens are allowed by law? Inquiring minds want to know. You may laugh, but a live chicken can cause a ruckus not limited to traffic jams and accidents. So, how many chickens please?

Gracias, Samm

drmc

Jun 10, 2007
Helmets? ha

After a year of living where I do I've seen exactly 1 guy wearing a helmet on a moto ...and he was a peace corp worker.

it is interesting how kids are considered passengers based on age ...and I'm SURE when stopped a lot of them will have proper identification on them to justify their age too! :) ....

I'm not saying the law is a bad idea ... but until any action is taken against all of the drunk moto drivers ...presidente in hand while driving ...transporting various appliances etc on motos ...and just pure crazy, fast out of countrol driving ....well, until these kind of things are approached I think this law is a bit far fetched. Although 5,6,7 on a moto still makes me turn my head, I think there are other moto-related problems to be looked at first.

Nyeden

Sep 2, 2005
This is great... finally some progress for people’s safety. I remember seeing one time up to 5 people in ONE motorbike!!.. Now let see if they do something about those gas tanks aka ticking time bombs!

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
I'm not saying the law is a bad idea ... but until any action is taken against all of the drunk moto drivers ...presidente in hand while driving ...transporting various appliances etc on motos ...and just pure crazy, fast out of countrol driving ....well, until these kind of things are approached I think this law is a bit far fetched. Although 5,6,7 on a moto still makes me turn my head, I think there are other moto-related problems to be looked at first.
I agree, 100%.

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
2 "passengers" sounds totaly fine. I have frequently taken a guagua with my buddy. 2 people (plus the driver) i feel fine and safe...and since my friend knows the drivers i have felt safe (for the most part).

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
2 "passengers" sounds totaly fine. I have frequently taken a guagua with my buddy. 2 people (plus the driver) i feel fine and safe...and since my friend knows the drivers i have felt safe (for the most part).
Do you mean motoconcho, or guagua?

drmc

Jun 10, 2007
I'd feel safe with a couple passangers in places where I know the motoconcho drivers too ...but those usually aren't the places where I'm looking for reliable transportation.

For most people, especially non-locals, when taking motoconchos I think you're usually taking somewhat of a chance ...cross your fingers and hold on