SD or BC and bus info pls

Alex99

Jan 4, 2006
Hello DR1'ers.....
Will be arriving for the first time to SDQ end of Jan for 10 days(no more snow!!) and am looking for a budget holiday as I enjoy trying to absorb local life as best as a Gringo can. Spent a few brief days here 2 years ago while on a trip from Santiago and the rainy north coast. Now I remember the gua-gua from the city would stop at the airport on the way to BC, is this still possible? I don't have more luggage than I can carry and just want to avoid the $$$ taxi fare. Seems like a few choices on budget hotels in both places, not sure if it's better to stay in SD and make day trips to BC, or do the reverse. Just find the evenings at the beach too limited in activities, and the atmosphere too much like Vegas. My main goal is to explore the city a few days and swim a little too, then take off to the mountains and see the beautiful scenery and nature, was thinking around Bonao...or has anyone some other spot not too far from the capital? Just find so many locals very friendly and open, have made some good friends on previous trips, even with my fairly basic Spanish! thanks for any help...Alex

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
i dont recall the guagua stoping AT the airport. Break down and spend the 30 bucks for the cab (recommend arranging that B4 you get there).

Sounds like you would be better off staying in the capital and then going to the beach and other places you want via guagua. (suggestion...make sure to find out the exact fare for the guagua and have exact change).

have fun!

RonS

Bronze
Oct 18, 2004
I agree with Jrzyguy. It sounds like your best bet is to stay in the capitol and do day trips to BC. The taxi from the airport will cost you $30 or $35. You can get a guagua to BC any day of the week for about 40 DOP. While you are in the capitol you can make arrangements for traveling north either with a taxi driver or get the Caribe Tours bus. Have a wonderful time in the DR!