Computer repair???

laurajane

Bronze
May 23, 2005
www.thecircusofdreams.com
hi peeps
Ok, so ive got a new laptop, but for some reason it has decided to not read cd's. I took it to 3 computer repair shops and they have all said they can't do it!! shouldnt have been suprised, but only the DR could have computer repair shops that can't repair computers ha ha!! If anyone knows of someone or somewhere in Higuey that does know, please help.

Ta

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
Hard to break it to you, but:
CD-ROM or DVD-RW+-(whatever) once they fail on your laptop are "NOT" repairable at all...

You have to buy a new replacement from the PC maker and then you can have it installed by a local shop (one that serves networking biz).

Or better yet, you can do it yourself and save a buck (but lose the laptop when you can't put it back together)...

It seems to be that your laser went south, deep south...
But then again! You said is a new laptop?!? Where did you buy it from?
New? Used? Previously owned?
Have you tried using the "restore my PC to an earlier set up" to see if you installed something (software) on it, that is causing a conflict with the driver???

Does your CD status LED "blinks" went you put a CD into it, or does it stays lit all the time? Off?

You can make a startup CD using somebody else's PC to boot into windows with your CD before it loads the windows drivers in your HDD to check if you have a driver conflict or virus done some damage to your config files.

When you start your PC it boots into a shell of DOS from the BIOS and if the CD is still good it should be able to read the bootable CD without a hitch, if it doesn't it's 99% most likely is going to be D.O.A.

The reason most PC repair places don't like to service laptops is that 75% of the time it entails taking the laptop apart so much, it makes the work time consuming and other repairs allow for more income per time of service.

If your laptop is very new, then it must still carry the manufacturer's warranty and service. You can go on line and troubleshoot via live chat with a rep from the company as well.

One last thing:
Place a CD on your CD drive and leave it there...
Right click on the My Computer icon in your desktop > Select Properties in the bottom > Select the Hardware tab > Select the Device Manager bar > Left Click the + sign on the DVD/CD-Rom Drives > Right click on the device that represents your CD or DVD in question > Select Properties at the bottom > It should report a message like this = "This device is working properly." in a window of the menu at the bottom, if it odes continue to next step (if it doesn't and reports a conflict follow the instructions to fix it)> Click on the Volume tab > Click on the Populate bar and if it does report on the Status = Online and describes what size is the CD you put there, it means the CD driver works but has software problems, if it doesn't it's toast.

laurajane

Bronze
May 23, 2005
www.thecircusofdreams.com
hi thanks for the replies. The computer is new but was a gift from a friend of mine in canada. it will play dvds but not cd's (it did however work at first but then just decided not to one day). The drive makes a clicking sound and says there is no cd in drive. Its only 4 months old and had this problem for 3 months. will try some of the tips you have given and go from there.

thanks

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
try a different brand of CD-R. I think you have to update the firmware of the CD rom and you will be fine. This happened to me as well.
AZB