Tennis and squash in Sosua/Puerto Plata area?

bakersindr

Jan 2, 2008
members.shaw.ca
My wife and I have purchased a house in the Sosua area where we eventually plan to retire. The gated community we purchased in (Terramar, no Sunset Valley I think) has a tennis club at the entrance but we were also wondering about tennis clubs and facilities in the area. We are also avid squash players but I haven't heard anything about squash being played at all in the D.R. Anyone have any information? We will be down there in late January and my friend will be there slighty ahead of us and he is an avid tennis player as well. We are approximately 4.5 on the ATP scale.
Thanks for any and all help!!

bryan1258

Bronze
Dec 24, 2007
I think they may play at the Loase raquet club in Costambar.....But then again you may die of lung cancer on the drive over there from Sosua

Drro

Bronze
Mar 22, 2006
Great to hear more tennis players, they are few and far between. A few of us play at Hotel Voramar as it's convenient, in town in Sosua, cost about US$9 per hour. There is also Sea Horse Ranch which has really nice courts, further away (between Sosua and Cabarete) and more expensive.

Good luck.
Ro

bakersindr

Jan 2, 2008
members.shaw.ca
Playing at Voramar or Seahorse Ranch

It's good to find there are some other people who enjoy whacking the ball around in the area. I take it from your reply that both Voramar and the Seahorse Ranch allow non-guests to come and play for a fee? We have courts at the entrance to Terramar and I understand they are included with the fees for our house in the community but I don't think there are too many people who play there. When we were there in July/August, they had just fixed up the courts and there was a young guy there who introduced himself as the new pro.
My buddy will be coming down there on January 29th and will be looking for some hitting partners until we show up and probably afterward as we will be busy for a while.
Thanks for all the help and info!!

johnsantodomingo

May 13, 2006
At the Body Shop Gym in Naco and Arroyo Hondo you can play Squash. Both in Santo Domingo though. Actually a great sport for the caribbean as you can play all day and there is airconditioning.

bakersindr

Jan 2, 2008
members.shaw.ca
It would be the first time I played squash to stay cool. ;)
Up here in the frozen north, I can play for an hour in an air conditioned gym and still come out hot enough to not want an coat in the middle of winter. Too bad both of those places are so far away from Sosua.
Thanks!