Doctors in the DR

jessann116

Dec 31, 2007
What does it mean to be a doctor in the Dominican Republic? Are they highly respected? Is it a profitable career? Is it economically hard to become one in the first place? Does being a doctor mean that you are of a wealthy class? ANY insights that can help me understand are greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I know quite a few Doctors who are quite affluent and they are respected well byb the community. What I understand the most important things one does in order to be successful is go to a good university and get a pasentia, or residency. The latter isns't guaranteed so it will be good to have some connections, or be an exceptional candidate.

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
What does it mean to be a doctor in the Dominican Republic? Are they highly respected? Is it a profitable career? Is it economically hard to become one in the first place? Does being a doctor mean that you are of a wealthy class? ANY insights that can help me understand are greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Being a Doctor in the DR provides certain privileges that are now extinct in many societies at large. Yet it takes a toll on any of them to make do with the low salaries and majority of low income patients who can't afford to pay for many services common in many nations.

To become a Doctor a person must take into consideration that in the DR, once having completed the required education and hands on training, they must provide their services "pasantia" to the Gov in order to get their full license there. The Gov provides very little to them while this goes on, hence why so many of them always make their way in beat up motorcycles better fit for somebody selling trinkets on the street.

Yet for all the trials, becoming a Galeno in the DR has perks not seen in ANY other profession of the DR. This translates into all parts of the society, both economic and social.

jessann116

Dec 31, 2007
Yet for all the trials, becoming a Galeno in the DR has perks not seen in ANY other profession of the DR. This translates into all parts of the society, both economic and social.

This post was great... thank you!

Can you be more specific as the types of perks... I'm sure that I understand that part. Thanks so much for your insights.

SIDENOTE: I am interested in this topic as I am a member of an American Non-profit that is beginning to team up with doctors in the Dominican Republic. The doctors that I have met so far seem fantastic and I am excited to work with them. Therefore, I thought it would be helpful to do a little research on doctors within DR culture.