Advice on Moving to Puerto Plata

Mme Kimberley

May 18, 2007
I'm a Canadian opting for the big move to the DR (POP) in about a month. I have been to the area 4 times now (each time varying between 1-4 wks). I have 2 job offers so far...Lifestyle Holidays Vacation Club (located in Hacienda) for VIP Customer Relations, and Blue Bay Getaway Villas for the Sales Team. Am leaning towards taking the sales job as the salary (mainly commission obviously) is much higher. The reason for my post is two-fold:

1 - Can anyone give me additional insight into Hacienda and Blue Bay's reputations as places of employment? (From what I have seen and researched to date, they appear to be reputable resorts)

2 - Is there other advice that foreigners who have relocated to POP could give to one planning on moving there? ie: things you liked/disliked the most after settling into the area, "surprises" of living in the DR...

P.S. I am aware of the average living conditions in the DR, probs with water/electricity, estimated costs of living (am planning to go with 3000 in pocket to get settled)... though I'd greatly appeciate an expat's point of view/useful info re: surprising cultural differences, the intricacies of daily life, what barrios are best/safest to rent a furnished apartment (1 bdrm, 300-450 USD range)

Thnks in advance to those who reply

Mme Kimberley

May 18, 2007
Janin -- Sorry, I didn't specify...I will stay for 6 mths, and go from there. I am secure financially should I encounter other expenses. I am doing this for the experience and not for the salary I will make down there. Should I decide to return to my "Canadian life" after 6-12 mths, that is not a problem. Do you have any other advice?

rick99

Nov 7, 2007
Hi, I am thinking about a similar move, as I cannot stand Vancouver winters any longer. Why did you choose POP over Punta Cana/etc.?? I have not been to the DR, and would like to also know about getting established. rick

sheiladave

Dec 31, 2007
My Husband and I are also looking at living DR during our winter and returning to Canada during the summer. We are looking for all the info that you mentioned. Safe places to live? Rent or Buy? We are tired of snow!!!

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
To all those thinking of moving here, or at least spending more than a few weeks... there are many threads on the differences between different areas of the DR - for example, Punta Cana and Puerto Plata are both "resort areas" but couldn't be more different in terms of places to live. Same goes for, say, Las Terenas and Sosua...both beach towns, but completely different...when you are talking living there. When you spend a week or two in a resort or AI, the area doesn't mattter much, but living here's a very different story (obviously).

That being said, I personally chose the North Coast over Punta Cana and other beach areas mainly because of it's diversity, night/social life, and of all the "beach areas, it's the most populated (with English-speaking ex-pats) and centrally located (in the sense that you can get to Samana, Santiago, Jarabacoa, Santo Domingo, etc. easily and in a few hours) - this could change soon when the SD-Samana road is completed and the airport ramps up (making Samana equally "accessible"), but for now, POP-Sosua-Cabarete is probably the "easiest" place to settle into.

sheiladave

Dec 31, 2007
We have been looking at Sosua on the internet. What about Buying or renting? Any suggestions? Of course starting this winter we plan on renting and looking around to see if we would be comfortable there. We were in DR a few winters ago. We stayed on a resort but did some traveling around and loved the people.

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
The best advice is to rent for awhile - 3-6 months and really make an effort to look around and talk to people in the various places you're interested in. Ultimately buying is usually a good idea if you plan on living here, not if you're looking to flip the property for a quick profit.

D

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
We have been looking at Sosua on the internet. What about Buying or renting? Any suggestions? Of course starting this winter we plan on renting and looking around to see if we would be comfortable there. We were in DR a few winters ago. We stayed on a resort but did some traveling around and loved the people.

where are you relocating from?

sheiladave

Dec 31, 2007
We live in Fredericton, New Brunswick in Canada. The snow I shoveled today was up to my waist. We are expecting more in the next couple of days. I would rather be walking on a beach. We would not be looking for jobs. Just wanting to live a simple life.

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
We strongly recommend that you rent for 6 to 12 months before buying anything. You need to get a real sense of living here, what you like , what you don't like etc before buying. Once you buy you can be stuck with something for years before it will sell again!

Make a list of the things that are important to you: electricity, cable, interenet access, proximity to beach, good schools, nightlife, other english speaking people, proximity to jobs, etc etc..... Make a list of what you don't like or don't want to be around too. Once you have a sense of what is important then start looking around at areas. Rent short term if you can for a while. Then find what you think will suit you for longer term.

Many times what happens is what you thought was important - really is not! What matters is not what you expected and you end up in the wrong areas.

Take your time when you get here! Learn a lot, be open to other opinions and options, keep your eyes wide open............

And most of all, read DR1. Use the search function, read and learn.

london777

Bronze
Dec 22, 2005
I expect to be retiring to the Puerto Plata area from the UK sometime in the next few months and I value both Planner's advice (above) and Ginnie Bedggood's book highly.

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
Thanks.

I've got the book but not found the time to finish reading it yet. Hopefully by the end of this weekend.....

marliejaneca

Bronze
Oct 7, 2003
I'm a Canadian opting for the big move to the DR (POP) in about a month. I have been to the area 4 times now (each time varying between 1-4 wks). I have 2 job offers so far...Lifestyle Holidays Vacation Club (located in Hacienda) for VIP Customer Relations, and Blue Bay Getaway Villas for the Sales Team. Am leaning towards taking the sales job as the salary (mainly commission obviously) is much higher. The reason for my post is two-fold:

Since we have just went through this with another poster (who is no longer posting - I wonder why?:cheeky:), I have to ask you these questions - do you have these job offers in writing? Are these jobs through a tour company based in Canada? Any type of contract? Have you looked into what legalities are involved in working in the DR?

There have been many instances where someone has been offered a job through a friend or by the manager itself - and when they arrive - there is nothing waiting for them. What qualifications do you have that would make you more employable than a Dominican?

I am not trying to be cynical or burst your dream, but there are many factors to consider when moving, even for short-term. $3000.00 is not a lot of money, especially if you take a commission job - since there is no guarantee of income in this type of job. You will need money for emergencies, flight back home in case of any problems, and most likely first and last months rent, and the list goes on.

More questions - when you travelled to the DR, did you stay in an AI each time or did you live with the locals? How is your Spanish?

Like planner stated - use the search function - posters have given ample information throughout the years, detailed accounts of monthly expenses, opinions on neighbourhoods according to budget and safety, etc.

There is a wealth of info on this site, and if you are serious about a move - you have to show some self-sufficiency and teach yourself, because moving to a foreign country you can really only rely on yourself for making the right decisions for you. What is good for others may not be suitable for you.

Search, search, search!

Good luck with everything.

Marlie

Mme Kimberley

May 18, 2007
Thanks Marlie...

Marlie - I appreciate your reply...it has been the most helpful yet. To respond to some of your questions: (WARNING...long post!)

"I have to ask you these questions - do you have these job offers in writing? Are these jobs through a tour company based in Canada? Any type of contract? Have you looked into what legalities are involved in working in the DR? "

The last time I was there (Nov 29-Dec14), I interviewed for the 2 jobs, met the managers/office staff, toured the resorts etc...So no, the jobs are not through a Canadian tour company, and I don't have the offers in writing, so this is a fairly big concern of mine. I have been in contact with both managers who offered me the jobs (via email and telephone) upon returning to Canada. When I asked the Blue Bay manager about sending him my documents to apply for a residency permit (which his company will take care of), he told me that it could all be done in person when I arrive there Jan 24. Also said I can start work as long as I have applied for residency -the permit takes 45-60 days to be processed, and I don't need to wait until that day to begin employment.
Can anyone tell me if this is true?

"There have been many instances where someone has been offered a job through a friend or by the manager itself - and when they arrive - there is nothing waiting for them. What qualifications do you have that would make you more employable than a Dominican?"

As for my qualifications, I have a double major in French/Sociology from a Canadian university, am bilingual in French&English, speak competent Spanish, and some Greek & Italian. I have years of customer service experience, some managerial & office experience and am a hard worker/quick learner. Without trying to "toot my own horn", I know that I could easily tackle a resort job (with hopes of gaining other experience in the travel industry). My main concerns are moreso the cultural differences, whether the jobs are legit, living in a safe/secure neighbourhood (I am thinking Torres Alta), and trying to run away from all the sankies :cheeky:

"I am not trying to be cynical or burst your dream, but there are many factors to consider when moving, even for short-term. $3000.00 is not a lot of money, especially if you take a commission job - since there is no guarantee of income in this type of job. You will need money for emergencies, flight back home in case of any problems, and most likely first and last months rent, and the list goes on."

You are right about the $; once I researched more details about this I was thinking to go down with 6000CAD...keeping in mind my flight is already paid, and I will be staying there from Feb 4 -May 20 (must be back on Canadian soil to be in a wedding end of May...)
Can anyone advise me "ideal start-up $" for one thinking to move/work in POP for 4 mths?

"More questions - when you travelled to the DR, did you stay in an AI each time or did you live with the locals? How is your Spanish? "

When I travelled to the DR, I stayed the first 2 times in an AI, 3rd time for a month in Costambar ap't, and 4th time 2 weeks in an ap't on the Malecon. I associated with some locals, a family I know down there, and a US girl I know who is working down there. My Spanish is competent, and I'm confident I could become close to fluent within a month of living there.

Thanks again to anyone who can give me relevant replies; it helps to hear others' advice and opinions when considering a move like this!

Manigault

Dec 26, 2006
If you can afford to make the jump, just do it and don't look back. You really won't know how you will respond until you put yourself to the test.