Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Wink moving from canada 2008

Happy New Year, I have been sitting on the sidelines looking at the DR for over a year now, and will be making a commitment to check it out seriously in February. I have liquidated all holdings in Vancouver, and will be living on a fixed income in the DR (and hopefully buying a decent home/condo in the future). I am wondering if anyone has shipped household possessions from Vancouver. I have some nice stuff in my apartment (moved from a large house), but am wondering if I should be getting rid of my furniture/etc. or planning to ship to DR.....anyone experienced in this??? I speak only English, but want to blend and establish relationships in the DR (I am divorced for two years). Last question is comparing Punta Cana vs Caberete/Sousa .... I know that Punta Cana is more expensive; what I want to know is where is it safer and more comfortable for someone like me. This is my first post. Any comments or replies will be appreciated. rick

Post Thanks / Like

Hummmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Good luck.
    Two different worlds.

Punta Cana is a beautiful, beautiful place. It is not for everyone, unless you are among the truly wealth. It is also extremely limiting... in that there is not a whole lot of things to do there...beach, booze, and babes (some of them anyway) can tire after a while.
    You are at the end of the country and hours, literally hours, from most things cultural or entertaining (even La Romana is a good haul from there)....

The North Coast. A den of iniquity for ex-pats...well, sort of anyway...
    Much closer to a major metropolitan area (Santiago, about an hour and a quarter away) and neighboring villages (Sos˙a, Puerto Plata, Gaspar Hernandez) offer more variety of things to do. And each is different.
    A lot depends on what you want out of your retirement or your stay here...

Go for what you need to do, not what we think you should do...

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Cabarete/Sosua is a lot more interesting. More to do, more variety, a nice mix of the resort/beach stuff and local stuff ...I dont live there, but I go there whenever I can. If I could live there, I would.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you Hillbilly and drmc. I have read many many articles here on DR1 (and recognize you Hillbilly). I am really a beach guy, but want a fairly nice place to live as well (but it certainly does not have to be ocean front...I have some money, but need to use it to live on as well). I have spent many hours studying the real estate articles and websites as well. I think I will check out the North Coast most seriously. I have also noticed the great advice of rent first, buy later. However, I have done this in Vancouver the past three years, and now cannot afford much of a place. Is there rapid inflation on the North coast (I heard that Punta Cana has greatly increased in price). I appreciate your input. rick

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Don't even think of shipping down 'nice stuff'. First figure out if you can live without it or replace in the Dominican Republic.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Rent before you even think about buying.

Post Thanks / Like

gottcha and appreciate the advice. I will check it out first, then decide.
    I have another question that I would appreciate an answer on. Are mosquitoes a problem on all parts of the island, or are some areas drier and more bug free??
    rick

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default My perspective

hi, I am impressed that Hillbilly mentioned Gaspar Hernandez.

Now this is MY take and ONLY my take after being here for 2.5 years.
    I would NEVER live in Cabarete or Sosua. The "bad " Dominicans and Haitians go there from all over the country just looking for expats and tourists to either take advantage of or worse. Especially Newbies.

Out here in the "Sticks" the people are real. Its Normal life and youa re not far from the "Vida Loca" if you want it. We have great friends and super neighbours and although at first look you wouldnt believe it, there are a few VERY nice parts to GH. We have a Brand new modern Supermarket and not far from beaches.

We are 1/2 Between Cabarete / Sosua and Rio San Juan .

We really enjoy living here because we do not have to be constantly looking over our shoulders or fending off salesman. Prices are less than the tourist towns as are homes and real estate.

Life is quiet and normal......... I couldn;t deal with the hubub of the tourist centers..... when I go there i want out. Its plastic and does not represent DR reality in MY humble opinion .........

AS long as you keep a low profile and treat people with respect in this country you will rarely have a problem.

DR1
    Post Thanks / Like

Check out Santo Domingo, too. Your income will enable you to vacation at the resorts, to get your quota of beach. Santo Domingo has more to offer to single people.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rick99 View Post
    Are mosquitoes a problem on all parts of the island, or are some areas drier and more bug free??
    rick
    When we first visited and then moved to DR I was eaten alive by mosquitos as they seem to love me for some reason but, to be honest, I have always found I get more badly bitten when in town, i.e. Sosua/ Cabarete than when I am up here at our finca outside Sabaneta. After 12 months I felt I was becoming immune to their thirst but, having returned to the UK for 5 weeks, they seemed to attack me again on my return. My honest opinion is steer clear of anywhere which may retain stagnant water (their favourite breeding ground) and also the river area at dusk and dawn.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast