Special Visa for Canada

AmyH

Dec 5, 2006
I heard that you can apply for a special visa for someone wanting to get married to someone in Canada you have 6 months to get married or they go back. Does anyone know any info on that cause I can not find that I have heard of that for the US but not for Canada. Any info would be greatly appericated. Thank you in advance.

alicious

Bronze
Oct 2, 2007
I'm not an expert on it...but I think that is only available in the US and some European countries.

There is no provision for a fianc? visa in Canada.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Extremely few Temporary Resident Visas (visitor visa) are issued to those that do not have strong ties to the DR.

You have already posted that he was denied once (http://www.dr1.com/forums/564424-post4.html )so unless his position has changed since the last time he applied he might be denied again.

El_Uruguayo

Bronze
Dec 7, 2006
Qualifying for the conjugal partner status is rediculously difficult to meet all the criteria. The system for sponsoring a spouse in Canada is catered for mail order brides, and arranged marriages - not the traditional Canadian relationship where people like to be together before getting married, or while married. You're expected to a) be rich, or b) spend long amounts of time apart.

Jinimai

Jan 21, 2008
I would like to know if it makes a difference whether you're married or not to speed the process of applying for permanent residency. I am planning on marrying my domincan boyfriend however I don't know whether I should wait until he eventually arrives to Canada or is it better to get married in the DR. Thanx! I'd love some feedback form someone who might know about this.

Last edited by a moderator:

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
I would like to know if it makes a difference whether you're married or not to speed the process of applying for permanent residency. I am planning on marrying my domincan boyfriend however I don't know whether I should wait until he eventually arrives to Canada or is it better to get married in the DR. Thanx! I'd love some feedback form someone who might know about this.

Is he planning on immigration without your sponsership?

As you can see from the above posts it's almost impossible for a boyfriend to come to Canada on a visitor visa. He needs to have very strong ties to the DR .

You can get more info on the Canadian website Immigrating to Canada

A Canadian citizen or permanent resident may sponsor her or his spouse, common-law partner or conjugal partner, or dependent children to come to Canada as permanent residents.

See the Who can apply section below to find out if your relationship qualifies.
You can then find out if your spouse, partner or child meets the requirements for you to sponsor them.
Learn about:

Jinimai

Jan 21, 2008
I plan to sponser him after we get married. We have planned to marry whether its here or in the DR. If I actually want to live with my husband, I guess it would be better to marry him there. Thanks for your input!

Last edited by a moderator:

sangria

Bronze
May 16, 2006
??

how would you get married in canada if he cant come to canada?

you really only have one option without a visa

Jinimai

Jan 21, 2008
marriage

What I meant to imply is that we're getting married whether its in Canada or the D.R. Reality seems though, I would likely have to marry him there if we are ever going to live together in Canada.