Moving to the DR - Information Please

Vilma

Jan 2, 2008
Please HELP!
I will be moving to DR in about a year! My husband is Dominican and knows the country very well. I am a Human Resources Profesional and am concerned about employment oppotunities where i can utilize my English language/skills. Although i am completely fluent in the Spanish language, it is not my forte. Any advice?? I know that it will take a long time for me to adjust. I have only been there once, and it was for about 15days. This next question might be silly, but does anyone know if there is such thing in the DR as an 'American Community/place' that i can visit/live where i would feel more at home??

Janin

On Vacation....
Jul 31, 2007
Help From Him

Please HELP!... My husband is Dominican and knows the country very well.
I assume that your husband is here in the DR and knows the country better than many of us.
Can he not help you?

Janin

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Dear Vilma, I Don't Thonk That You Will Be Happy Here!

You are looking for an "American Community" before you have even arrived here!
There is no "American Community" here!
There is no "EX-Pat" community either.
We live all over the country!
If you feel that you want to "Feel at home" only by living with Americans,you will not do well here!
Sorry,but VERY True!
Cris Colon
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Vilma

Jan 2, 2008
Wow! thanks for the info i guess. Yes, my husband is dominican but he knows nothing about the dominican "good" life. Does that make sense? (I don't want to give the wrong impression at all). He grew up in poverty there, and migrated to the USA for a better life, which he was blessed enough to find. We married and are now thinking about moving to Santo Domingo. He only knows about the 'barrios' or the ghetto, not the nicer areas. We are NOT by any means $RICH$ but we would like to have a similar life. I shouldnt say WE, I really mean I because the US is all i know. When I visited the DR a few months ago I was very surprised with what I saw. I stayed in Villa Mella for 15 days, and although the people were great and treated us with great hospitality I was extremely home sick and missed being able to speak english and having a good conversation with someone who understands where i come from. That is why i asked if there is such thing there as a "American" community or place that is not the "touristy" type.

I dont mean to offend anyone with anything that i've said.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
I dont mean to offend anyone with anything that i've said.

No I don't think you've offended anyone. :) Can I ask is your husband keener on this move back than you are? I could be wrong but I detect a little reluctance on your part. There are many nicer places in SD & I'll let the SD people answer that part of your question. But I would say if the 2 of you have different levels of motivation about moving here, maybe that is something to work out between the 2 of you before you move? Otherwise he'll be in his element back in his motherland as a success & you could end up feeling like a fish out of water............and that will put all sorts of strain on the marriage.

As Rocky said, there is a high percentage of North Americans living in Sosua but it is 'touristy' as per the comment you made.

expatsooner

Bronze
Aug 7, 2004
If you move to the capital I would suggest you seek employment in one of the international schools there since many of them have Americans and Canadians on staff. The Carol Morgan School has the largest number of expat hires. This would allow you to speak with many of your coworkers primarily in English and yet still afford opportunities for you to perfect your Spanish as well.

You don't say whether or not you will need to work but if you don't have to even doing something as low paying as substitute teaching will still let you have a connection to make friendships with many well educated Dominicans and expats on staff.

cuas

May 29, 2006
If you stayed in Villa Mella I think he is planning to relocate in Santo Domingo. If you are planning to buy a house ask your husband where is he planning to buy it.
Do not underestimate your husband. He knows the better life but maybe he is tired of the American style living. He wants to be around his people, to have people in his house every time. It is like MI CASA ES TU CASA.
Be prepared for this kind of life. Unannounced visitors. Loud music, beers, friends coming over with chicken, crabs for you to cook.
This is life in the barrios but the same way he adapted to the American way, you can adapt to the Dominican way but little by little you can apply some rules.
I lived that kind of life. My parents loved it. People coming to the house at
12:00M when all the plates were served on the table. My mother scooping rice from the plates to make extra plates for the visitors. Youngest children know their meat will go to the visitors plates.
If your husband comes home with a friend and his dinner is on the table. He will tell you "Give my friend the half." Normal thing in the barrios.
It will be a big change for you but you husband is missing that life.

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
You are looking for an "American Community" before you have even arrived here!
There is no "American Community" here!
There is no "EX-Pat" community either.
We live all over the country!
If you feel that you want to "Feel at home" only by living with Americans,you will not do well here!
Sorry,but VERY True!
Cris Colon
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
l_0d53e766d3cf906d23caae31d2b8dbd5.gif

Hate to be the one to admit it, but CCCCCCCC CCCCCCCC(etc...) hit the nail on the head with this one...

OP: Just read it again and don't let it out your other ear...

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
When A "Foreigner" Marries A Dominican, You Get The "Dominican Culture" In Return!

As an "American" married to a "Poor Dominican",raised in the "Simon Bolivar" sector of "La Capital", I know of where I speak!
We live in a nice section of Arroyo Hondo,but you,"Can Take The Dominican Out Of The "Barrio",But You Can't Take The "Barrio" Out Of The Dominican!!!!!!
So be prepared!
If you don't have "AT LEAST" two thousand US Dollars a month to live on,three thousand if you have some kids, you will NOT be happy here!
"GOOD LUCK!"
Cris Colon
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC