Dominicans Only Please

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
I am interested in knowing what the Dominicans on board think of responses to threads on this board. Not really interested in responses that deal with travel,restaurant, or passport matters as these are based on experiences of the poster.
What I am really interested in are those matters that have to do with culture,poverty,marriage,life in a barrio,living large,preceived images of Dominican men and women,and any and all matters where an ex-pat voices a strong opinion.

In summary what do Dominicans on this board think of the quality of the postings from a non-Dominicans. If you can,give an example where the poster gave good information based on "that's the way it really is",or it is very flawed or bias information.
JOHN

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
hahahahaha.
You can put a man in a 4 million dollar house but you can't get the barrio out of his mind.
hahahahaha
AZB

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Lots of content here! Never knew he was a Dominican.

hahahahaha.
You can put a man in a 4 million dollar house but you can't get the barrio out of his mind.
hahahahaha
AZB

Perhaps this thread hit a sore spot or perhaps your reading comp is lacking.
Other than that do you have something to lend to this thread which is for Dominicans only? Or, do you wish to show your ignorance once again?
Or, perhaps you are obsessed with me?
Which might it be?

JOHN

Tallman1818

Nov 19, 2007
John, I got one for you Dr. Azbat keep pointing out the the word "Chopo" to whoever mentions a non ortodox Dominican tradition, for example there is a thread about a TGI's Fridays restaurant set to open in Santiago, I mention the fact that they may want to include a tradition Dominican dish such as "tostones", the ex-pat non Dominican Dr. Azbat said that such restaurant would not be for "tostones eating Chopos", I am a Dominican-American, born in DR but raise and educated in the USA my family is from a Barrio "Los Minas" in Santo Domingo.
I am proud of coming from a barrio in the capital , but you know what I do not act like a typical barrio person, I don't like loud music like they do, I do not wear my close they way most "Dominican Yorks" do, yes I do like Bachata and merengue, I love traditional Dominican food and I don't think that makes me a low life Chopo.

Mr. Lu

Bronze
Mar 26, 2007
Ok, I really don't get what the deal with the thread is. Can you give me some more details on what responses you are looking for? Sounds like it could be a good thread...

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
I think the responses to the threads are somewhat balanced and for the most part present unbiased contents on the matter being discussed; after all, self critique is very hard to come from a strong willed and life hardened culture like the one of the DR.

Some posts lack substance on the matter at hand, since some use the posts to present childish and uninformed comebacks to some very emotionally charged posters but rather on point to the issue discussed.

From a Dominican point of view, the forum presents a good opportunity at self discovery and just a hint of how our culture is still not easy to grasp by some and yet provides a window to how our cultural image reflects to others.

In truth, I find that even when some personal attacks are uncalled for, they sometimes provide some benefits to allow the Dominican posters to question many things that one could just as easy defend; yet after deep self study one finds that it was rather most probable that the person was right, but our society already had accepted them with merit by plural generational acceptance.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
John, I got one for you Dr. Azbat keep pointing out the the word "Chopo" to whoever mentions a non ortodox Dominican tradition, for example there is a thread about a TGI's Fridays restaurant set to open in Santiago, I mention the fact that they may want to include a tradition Dominican dish such as "tostones", the ex-pat non Dominican Dr. Azbat said that such restaurant would not be for "tostones eating Chopos", I am a Dominican-American, born in DR but raise and educated in the USA my family is from a Barrio "Los Minas" in Santo Domingo.
I am proud of coming from a barrio in the capital , but you know what I do not act like a typical barrio person, I don't like loud music like they do, I do not wear my close they way most "Dominican Yorks" do, yes I do like Bachata and merengue, I love traditional Dominican food and I don't think that makes me a low life Chopo.

Sr. Tallman1818, my apologies to you. At first I thought you were a gringo, making fun of dominicans so thats why I posted the remarks in that thread. Now I see you are a dominican gentleman, so I would like to extend my olive branch to you.
If you are in santiago now, get in touch with me. I shall buy you a cold one.
AZB

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
Pichardo te la sacate, muy bien.

I think the responses to the threads are somewhat balanced and for the most part present unbiased contents on the matter being discussed; after all, self critique is very hard to come from a strong willed and life hardened culture like the one of the DR.

Some posts lack substance on the matter at hand, since some use the posts to present childish and uninformed comebacks to some very emotionally charged posters but rather on point to the issue discussed.

From a Dominican point of view, the forum presents a good opportunity at self discovery and just a hint of how our culture is still not easy to grasp by some and yet provides a window to how our cultural image reflects to others.

In truth, I find that even when some personal attacks are uncalled for, they sometimes provide some benefits to allow the Dominican posters to question many things that one could just as easy defend; yet after deep self study one finds that it was rather most probable that the person was right, but our society already had accepted them with merit by plural generational acceptance.

Well johne Pichardo has given you an excellent response for your thread, IMO.

I know myself as a Dominican woman don't accept some of the derogatory comments towards women that some of these "gentlemen" make. BUUUT i know many of them are writing about their experiences with these women so its understandable, I guess, that they express themselves in such manner. They have probably been rejected or conned by them. I have learned somehwat to read objectivelty.

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Ahi te va'.....

In summary what do Dominicans on this board think of the quality of the postings from a non-Dominicans. If you can,give an example where the poster gave good information based on "that's the way it really is",or it is very flawed or bias information.
JOHN
John, a long time ago, someone asked me why I, being Dominican, didn't get madder at some of the negative things said here by non-Dominicans.

My answer to that PM was something on these lines:

1- Perhaps because I identify more with the US,
2- Perhaps because I know A LOT of Dominicans who do the same,
3- Perhaps because you have to consider the source,
4- Perhaps because no matter what they say, I have my own DR opinion,

ANNNNNNND, the most important "perhaps" of them ALLLLLLLLLL:

5- Perhaps because whomever is saying it gets more out of the DR than the DR gets out of them!!.

But, to be fair, there are a few here, that even if they, at times, talk out of their axxes (AZB being one of them), they do care about the DR, and know a thing or two about what they are talking about. (That SOME taken it to the extreme at times, yes).

I have a black friend who says: "when I hear the "N" word coming from a black person, I don't care, but when I hear it coming from a non-black, it bothers me.

In my case, the only time it bothers me a little is when they keep on saying the same shyt over and over and over again, sounding like a broken record, day in and day out, week in and week out, month in and month out, year in and year out BUTTTT still NOT moving out.

It's like, "stop all the bitching and complaining and get out"!. BUUUUT:

MOST of us know why they wouldn't move out, ;););)(Look at number 5)

Bottom line, positive or negative....Just consider the source!!.

WORKS FOR ME!....(And against me, whahahahahaha!!).

Last edited:

Tallman1818

Nov 19, 2007
Sr. Tallman1818, my apologies to you. At first I thought you were a gringo, making fun of dominicans so thats why I posted the remarks in that thread. Now I see you are a dominican gentleman, so I would like to extend my olive branch to you.
If you are in santiago now, get in touch with me. I shall buy you a cold one.
AZB

No hay problema, Dr. AZB, I will be in Santiago next month we will have a cold one them....

Muchas Gracias.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Los Minas

I am a Dominican-American, born in DR but raise and educated in the USA my family is from a Barrio "Los Minas" in Santo Domingo.

I am very familiar with this barrio as I employ 2 ladies from Los Minas. They are the furthest thing from loud,obnoxious people you can imagine. One still manages a store in SD and the other received a visa to the U.S. Neither one has ever taken a cent that I didn't know about in two years.

Moving off topic a bit and would like to hear more from Dominicans as the thread suggested.

perlanegra

Feb 4, 2005
Ok. Johne let me try!

#1- I hate it when any of you refers to female Dominicans a Putas (I can't believe I usually repeated it) is my mom around?
#2 - I really dislique when referring to male Dominicans as chopos.
#3- When calling a maid "sirvienta" (This is mostly done by Dominicans who have never had anything in their lives; have married a white boy who can afford to give them a better life including a maid and now they have the nerves to call the maids by this derrogatory name; and on top of it they teach their educated white boy to be like them and they come and post here; it makes me sick.
#4-most of the times people will take sides and not focus on what the threads are really about; and there goes the watch dogs (moderators) having to get people back in track or better close the thread.
#5- I think many people in here just write what ever comes to their already full of roaches heads and don't think before commenting; just to be known.
#6- I can't believe how harsh some pople can be; because dip in their heart we all know that they are just showing off and don't really mean what they say; because if you go back into the hundreds of messages they have had posted you can really tell that most of them are very nice people at heart.

So, why not try to be more linient(including me!) and stop for a minute before answering to a post; so we don't hurt others feelings.

Maybe some people like me need to take Miguel's #3 advice, uhhhh!

Thanks for starting this thred Johne!

Perlanegra

49erman

On Vacation!
Sep 3, 2006
I wish there were more Dominicans like the ones in this forum- educated, polished, and care about their country. Fact of the matter is most common Dominicans are opposite of those three characteristics, which is a bad, unattractive combination.

May 31, 2005
I am Dominican and I agree that the expats that have been in the Dominican Republic a long time have a lot of knowledge about the country and its people. Sometimes they may say something in a joking manner that to a non-Dominican may sound like a derogatory term or like an insult.

I just don't like it when tourists that have visited the country only a few times feel like if they know everything that there is to know about the Dominican Republic and its people. I just take it with a grain of salt.

If someone that truly knows about the country says something about the DR then I will listen and try to understand their point of view. If a tourist that thinks he knows what he is talking about says something about the DR, I don't even bat an eye. You can try to correct them but they will only say that they are right based on their three visits to an AI in Puerto Plata. Then they will say that they also visited the campo with their friend that they met but it is still not enough.

You need to meet all types of people and be in different types of environments to really understand Dominicans and the Dominican Republic. You will not learn everything from an AI only. You will not learn everything from visiting the campo only. You will not learn everything from visiting your friends in the capital.

You need to see all sides and all points of view. Dominicans are educated, uneducated, nice, rude, ugly, beautiful, mean, sincere, liers, etc. etc. Just like everywhere else in the world. Why do you generalize???

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
I am Dominican and I agree that the expats that have been in the Dominican Republic a long time have a lot of knowledge about the country and its people. Sometimes they may say something in a joking manner that to a non-Dominican may sound like a derogatory term or like an insult.

I just don't like it when tourists that have visited the country only a few times feel like if they know everything that there is to know about the Dominican Republic and its people. I just take it with a grain of salt.

If someone that truly knows about the country says something about the DR then I will listen and try to understand their point of view. If a tourist that thinks he knows what he is talking about says something about the DR, I don't even bat an eye. You can try to correct them but they will only say that they are right based on their three visits to an AI in Puerto Plata. Then they will say that they also visited the campo with their friend that they met but it is still not enough.

You need to meet all types of people and be in different types of environments to really understand Dominicans and the Dominican Republic. You will not learn everything from an AI only. You will not learn everything from visiting the campo only. You will not learn everything from visiting your friends in the capital.

You need to see all sides and all points of view. Dominicans are educated, uneducated, nice, rude, ugly, beautiful, mean, sincere, liers, etc. etc. Just like everywhere else in the world. Why do you generalize???

Good point in that I wished I had included "tourists" in my original post.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
curious???

I wish there were more Dominicans like the ones in this forum- educated, polished, and care about their country. Fact of the matter is most common Dominicans are opposite of those three characteristics, which is a bad, unattractive combination.

Don't know too much about you. Are you Dominican? Reason I ask -very bold statement and part of the reason I started this thread.
John

P.S. If you are Dominican could you expand on your statement??

cuas

May 29, 2006

If there were more Dominicans like the ones in the forum many expats would not have all the women they have.
Although not Dominican born I consider my self Dominican. My parents both Dominicans moved to Aruba where I was born. At 14 we return to SD. My father bought a house in Los Minas. He also built a bakery now leased (trying to evict the tenant).
My grandfather had 3 or 4 bakeries in the capital in the Era Of Trujillo. Most of my uncles and aunts have their own bakeries. The grandchildren who did not like the family business went to college. I, myself went to the UASD. I have an accountant degree.

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
If there were more Dominicans like the ones in the forum many expats would not have all the women they have.
Although not Dominican born I consider my self Dominican. My parents both Dominicans moved to Aruba where I was born. At 14 we return to SD. My father bought a house in Los Minas. He also built a bakery now leased (trying to evict the tenant).
My grandfather had 3 or 4 bakeries in the capital in the Era Of Trujillo. Most of my uncles and aunts have their own bakeries. The grandchildren who did not like the family business went to college. I, myself went to the UASD. I have an accountant degree.

It is so ironic that I also have an Accounting Degree but would like to retire in DR or PR and open up a bakery. (no kidding!!!!)

I think a bakery will be a gold mine.

Sorry, I am not Dominican but wanted to post this as this is very ironic.

Sorry!!!!

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
It is so ironic that I also have an Accounting Degree but would like to retire in DR or PR and open up a bakery. (no kidding!!!!)

I think a baker

Sorry, I am not Dominican but wanted to post this as this is very ironic.

Sorry!!!!

Well I'll bite and show my age with this joke" You'll make a lot of dough"