going to school in dom rep.

jcrue20

May 3, 2004
hello!

i enrolled as a foreinger in pucmm sto dmgo campus taking diploma in culinary arts. i feel sad to what i found that i pay more than double than the locals. i need to pay USD 2,250 while locals pay 26,000RD$. the course has two terms/semister so it would cost me roughly US$ 4500 for the whole one and a quarter year couse. is this a norm here in their education system here that a foreigner pays more than the locals on the same course? i feel exploited with this system. so i have to think million times. does anybody knows an alternative school for culinary arts for a fair price?

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
Don't feel targeted due to that, even in the US if you're only a resident from another State you get charge more for the same credits, let alone when you're from out of the States like in your case.
The thing with the PUCMM is that it has been well recognized by international accreditation, so your diploma carries more weight than the one you could get from a third party school in the DR.

However, if you apply for Dominican residency your credit fees should adjust as well...

riravaga

Feb 24, 2005
Welcome to the DR, will be same every university here, when I was studing in UCE in San Pedro de Macoris, foreigners paid 2,400.00 Dollars and locals 2,400.00 pesos. now I dont know how will be.

So don't worry and be happy, guess its less than in the USA. anything you think we could help you hit me, I live in San Pedro de Macoris, but lived and worked for 2 years in Santo Domingo

Frog17112

Nov 20, 2007
hello!

i enrolled as a foreinger in pucmm sto dmgo campus taking diploma in culinary arts. i feel sad to what i found that i pay more than double than the locals. i need to pay USD 2,250 while locals pay 26,000RD$. the course has two terms/semister so it would cost me roughly US$ 4500 for the whole one and a quarter year couse. is this a norm here in their education system here that a foreigner pays more than the locals on the same course? i feel exploited with this system. so i have to think million times. does anybody knows an alternative school for culinary arts for a fair price?

It's the same here in the states...residents pay less than non-residents.

Kat1144

Nov 23, 2007
Good luck with school. Just be happy your not paying USD42,000 for a culinary arts degree.. Cordon Bleu Culinary School in Florida. Happy Cooking!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Just the facts of life. If you live in Ohio and go to Miami it cost $40,000 a year. If you live in Florida it cost a whole lot less....

the degree is what matters...

HB

jcrue20

May 3, 2004
after i got the bill for my course, i went home and spent time thinking what to do. after i decided to cancel my course i went back to pucmm and ask the lady in the office. she said i need to pay 8000 pesos for cancelling my enrollment. JAJAJA! to my dismay i just said ok and i will be back here tomorrow. why should i pay 8000 pesos for a one minute push of a button? this is ****ing insane. they saw dollar sign in me but its sad since i only have peso in my pocket.

cuas

May 29, 2006
Here in US there are 2 fees. In state and out of state. My daughter a New Yorker went to school in NC. After some financial help I had to sign for a $12,000 loan for her first year. Why should it be different in RD?
My daugher chose to go to a different state so as you to a different country. Now my daughter pays in-state fee doing her master.