Living Safely in Punta Cana

swyse

Jan 4, 2008
I've been reading quite a bit on how to stay safe in the Dominican. From reading all the tips it has scared me and now I am having second thoughts about buying property and eventually living there. I know that there is crime every where a person may live but when not being able to trust the police and being allowed to carry a gun seems a little extreme.

I would like to live in Punta Cana and would like to know how safe do people feel in this area. I know the area is tailored to the tourists and appears to be a safer than other larger cities.

I would love to hear about your experiences in this area.

thanks

mido

Bronze
May 18, 2002
Your best bet is still gated communities.
But even there you are not 100% safe, in Cocotal / Palma Real many houses and apartments were broken in just before Christmas DURING THE DAY!
This information is first hand from people who were affected.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
It is both where you live and how you live. If you want to live like a 'rich gringo' you're asking for trouble and it does not matter where on the island you live. Rule number one from Dominican people is do not leave your house alone. Always have someone there. You need to figure out where and how.

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
I live in Punta Cana and feel totally safe. I'm not saying incidents don't happen, but they don't happen all that often.