Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default dark spots on skin

Does anyone know about large dark spots on the skin and what causes them? My daughter has 2 on one of her cheeks that aren't symetrical - both around 3 inches long and my wife has one on her face about 1 inch long. They have had them for about a month, my daughter's is getting lighter over time.

Any ideas appreciated.

Cheers

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by d12 View Post
    Does anyone know about large dark spots on the skin and what causes them? My daughter has 2 on one of her cheeks that aren't symetrical - both around 3 inches long and my wife has one on her face about 1 inch long. They have had them for about a month, my daughter's is getting lighter over time.

Any ideas appreciated.

Cheers
    Never heard of such a thing.
    Have you not consulted a good doctor?

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Any ideas appreciated.

Cheers

I would suggest seeing a dermatologist as non symetrical dark sports or moles could be an indication of skin cancer which , when as as large as these, come with a high fatality rate. However, if they are that big and are cancerous you should already be dead. That might me the good news !

Other then a brown spot there also is normally some color such as red spots in part of the affected area if in fact it is cancerous We all know what red means, I hope.

Good luck and don't forget to use sun screen with high SPF

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the replies. They are still alive so that would disqualify skin cancer.

i'll post a picture tomorrow, as far as qualified dermatologists goes, we are in Las Terrenas and trying to find any qualified doctor is a waste of time (if i am wrong, please let me know)

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the replies. They are still alive so that would disqualify skin cancer.

i'll post a picture tomorrow, as far as qualified dermatologists goes, we are in Las Terrenas and trying to find any qualified doctor is a waste of time (if i am wrong, please let me know)

After further review this could be a genetically connected birth mark type of thing.

I would sleep much easier now !

apostropheman

Exclamation

i'd suggest making a trip to the nearest city to visit a qualified doctor ASAP.

while i don't know what the marks mean i do know that by ignoring them you're begging for severe trouble.

please don't make the horrible mistake of hiding your head in the sand regarding this.

if it were me i'd be finding out my best options on the weekend and be there first thing Monday morning if not before.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Cosmetic Contact Dermatitis?

I wonder why you don't have these changes in pigmentation and only two females in the family have it.

At first I thought perhaps arsenic poisoning which could be from contaminated drinking water, arsenic in the well. But since you don't have any marks and they appear on the cheeks of women in the family, perhaps it's related to cosmetics.

See a doctor, but it could be as simple as face powder or a powdered blush.

eMedicine - Riehl Melanosis : Article by Mohsin Ali, BSc, MBBS, MRCPI, MRCP

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

I know a very good dermetologist in Santo Domingo. His name is Jaime Hernandez and he works at the Abel Gonzales clinic.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Hillbilly

I believe one of Dr. Rodriguez' (favorite prof) daughters is a dermatologist. Perhaps there is a way to look her up. I believe mom is still at the old homestead.
    Good luck to the OP and his family.
    mkohn

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Please do not take this the wrong way, but why in the world would a father and husband try to diagnosed his loved ones on a forum. Please go to a dermatologist or even a general practitioner. It may turn out to be nothing serious, but all you are going to get here are speculations unless the advise comes from an MD. Do the right thing buddy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast