dark spots on skin

d12

Feb 19, 2007
Does anyone know about large dark spots on the skin and what causes them? My daughter has 2 on one of her cheeks that aren't symetrical - both around 3 inches long and my wife has one on her face about 1 inch long. They have had them for about a month, my daughter's is getting lighter over time.

Any ideas appreciated.

Cheers

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Does anyone know about large dark spots on the skin and what causes them? My daughter has 2 on one of her cheeks that aren't symetrical - both around 3 inches long and my wife has one on her face about 1 inch long. They have had them for about a month, my daughter's is getting lighter over time.

Any ideas appreciated.

Cheers
Never heard of such a thing.
Have you not consulted a good doctor?

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007

Any ideas appreciated.

Cheers

I would suggest seeing a dermatologist as non symetrical dark sports or moles could be an indication of skin cancer which , when as as large as these, come with a high fatality rate. However, if they are that big and are cancerous you should already be dead. That might me the good news !

Other then a brown spot there also is normally some color such as red spots in part of the affected area if in fact it is cancerous We all know what red means, I hope.

Good luck and don't forget to use sun screen with high SPF

d12

Feb 19, 2007
Thanks for the replies. They are still alive so that would disqualify skin cancer.

i'll post a picture tomorrow, as far as qualified dermatologists goes, we are in Las Terrenas and trying to find any qualified doctor is a waste of time (if i am wrong, please let me know)

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
Thanks for the replies. They are still alive so that would disqualify skin cancer.

i'll post a picture tomorrow, as far as qualified dermatologists goes, we are in Las Terrenas and trying to find any qualified doctor is a waste of time (if i am wrong, please let me know)

After further review this could be a genetically connected birth mark type of thing.

I would sleep much easier now !

A

apostropheman

i'd suggest making a trip to the nearest city to visit a qualified doctor ASAP.

while i don't know what the marks mean i do know that by ignoring them you're begging for severe trouble.

please don't make the horrible mistake of hiding your head in the sand regarding this.

if it were me i'd be finding out my best options on the weekend and be there first thing Monday morning if not before.

margaret

Bronze
Aug 9, 2006
Cosmetic Contact Dermatitis?

I wonder why you don't have these changes in pigmentation and only two females in the family have it.

At first I thought perhaps arsenic poisoning which could be from contaminated drinking water, arsenic in the well. But since you don't have any marks and they appear on the cheeks of women in the family, perhaps it's related to cosmetics.

See a doctor, but it could be as simple as face powder or a powdered blush.

eMedicine - Riehl Melanosis : Article by Mohsin Ali, BSc, MBBS, MRCPI, MRCP

johnsantodomingo

May 13, 2006
I know a very good dermetologist in Santo Domingo. His name is Jaime Hernandez and he works at the Abel Gonzales clinic.

mkohn

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Hillbilly

I believe one of Dr. Rodriguez' (favorite prof) daughters is a dermatologist. Perhaps there is a way to look her up. I believe mom is still at the old homestead.
Good luck to the OP and his family.
mkohn

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
Please do not take this the wrong way, but why in the world would a father and husband try to diagnosed his loved ones on a forum. Please go to a dermatologist or even a general practitioner. It may turn out to be nothing serious, but all you are going to get here are speculations unless the advise comes from an MD. Do the right thing buddy.

d12

Feb 19, 2007
A.Hidalgo: Not taken the wrong way.

As I mentioned, in LT, the doctors that i have seen have been questionable at best. I would prefer a good medical diagnosis (thanks for the referrals so far, any suggestions closer to LT?) but in the absence of that I would like to know any opinions of people here.

Not to insult MDs but a good percentage of their advice is speculation as well.

Here is a picture of my wife's spot near her wrist:
spot on wrist on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

My daughter's marks are on her face but don't come out in the photos as well and they have lightened up but they were the same color as the mark on my wife's wrist.

margaret: thanks for the suggestion, however one of the marks in on the wrist and my daughter is 6 and definitely not allowed to wear makeup. The arsenic theory is interesting though, i will look into that as well.

Cheers

margaret

Bronze
Aug 9, 2006
I would suspect something more a long the lines of bacterial infection (impetigo) or a fungal infection (ring worm or tinea versicolor).

Here's a handy online tool you might have some luck with:
VisualDxHealth™ - Better pictures. Better answers. Better health.

Arsenic poisoning looks much worse that that image. That little mark looks like contact dermatitis. Just my opinion, as a country girl raised by a mother who treated everything with bleach, salt, polysporin, sterilized sewing needles, hot tea bags, enemas, onion juice with sugar, mustard plasters and cod liver oil. :) Oh yeah, and she would de-worm us all with some nasty red medicine on a regular basis, especially after finding dead animals in our cistern. She would bleach the heck out everything!