In Search of...Bagels :)

A

apostropheman

bagelandlox.jpg

tengo hambre!!!

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
After seeing that garnish - if only they would sell actual fresh dill (eneldo) as opposed to fennel (hinojo) labelled as dill!

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Nacional sells Thomas Bagels made in the US. They are in a separate display, not in the bread section.

The bagels actually are in the bread section, not the bakery, at the end of the isle closest to the checkout registers next to the endcap. The price is RD185 for a package of 6 big ones. They also have a variety of imported cream cheeses on the dairy isle, I got a Danish one with cracked pepper for RD65.

A

apostropheman

wow! at that price i just may have to open a bagel only bakery!
The bagels actually are in the bread section, not the bakery, at the end of the isle closest to the checkout registers next to the endcap. The price is RD185 for a package of 6 big ones. They also have a variety of imported cream cheeses on the dairy isle, I got a Danish one with cracked pepper for RD65.
that's double or almost triple what i pay here for bagels from the grocery store...even the most expensive ones and about the same price as buying them from Tim Hortons!

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
LENDERS is the Bagel maker

La Cadena in Santo Domingo sells Thomas' in the frozen food section.

My local La Cadena in Gazcue sells LENDER's BAGELS -- which -as us NYers know, are -- well -- just let us say, more Authentic than Thomases - who built their business on their English Muffins, not their BAGELS. Lenders is a premier name in BAGELS... And you would pay $3 bucks each for them-- really-- $5 bucks if you had lived here for 3 years as I have..What a lovely feeling of security to have them in my freezer. What a grand luxury to be able to offer them to friends... AHHHH the joys of Capital life

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
My local La Cadena in Gazcue sells LENDER's BAGELS -- which -as us NYers know, are -- well -- just let us say, more Authentic than Thomases - who built their business on their English Muffins, not their BAGELS. Lenders is a premier name in BAGELS... And you would pay $3 bucks each for them-- really-- $5 bucks if you had lived here for 3 years as I have..What a lovely feeling of security to have them in my freezer. What a grand luxury to be able to offer them to friends... AHHHH the joys of Capital life

I've eaten Lenders bagels for years when I was in Florida and I can't tell the difference between them and the Thomases. Also, as Lenders Bagels back in the States were probably 2 bucks for a bag of 6 for the small ones, there is no way I'm going to pay 3 bucks each here even if they were available. I had bought the Thomases just becasue I hadn't eaten bagels in such a long time but probably won't for a while at a buck a pop. Speaking of that, tommorrow, I think I will have a ham, egg and swiss cheese bagel with hot coffee - I'm sure glad I decided to move to Santiago as opposed to the campo, I just couldn't eat plastano every day for b'fast!

Charlielyn

Bronze
Jul 31, 2005
Look in the frozen food dept. of the grocery store. Super Mercado Tropical in PP gets in the cinnamon/raisin and plain ones frozen. They toast up nicely.

trabajadora

Aug 29, 2007
Look in the frozen food dept. of the grocery store. Super Mercado Tropical in PP gets in the cinnamon/raisin and plain ones frozen. They toast up nicely.

Yep, I just bought a package of the Cinnamon/Raisin ones today (my favorite), especially the giant ones! I don't care about the price when it's something I really want. Toastin' one up right now.... gotta go....... hmmm smells soooo good.:bunny: