Furniture shopping in PC

swyse

Jan 4, 2008
I'm looking into buying a townshouse in Punta Cana but its not furnished. Is there a place in the area where one can buy furniture/appliances and household goods? This place is in Villas del Sol II, anyone know how far this is from the shopping area? or how much taxis cost in the area?

Any help would be appreciated as I don't know anything about the area.

Thanks;)

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
I'm looking into buying a townshouse in Punta Cana but its not furnished. Is there a place in the area where one can buy furniture/appliances and household goods? This place is in Villas del Sol II, anyone know how far this is from the shopping area? or how much taxis cost in the area?

Any help would be appreciated as I don't know anything about the area.

Thanks;)

I am sorry but I can't help you with knowledge of the area for buying furniture or appliances and other household goods but I would query why you are considering buying a property in an area with which you are not familiar?

swyse

Jan 4, 2008
I am looking for a winter escape when I retire. This property seems to be a good deal in a fast growing area. For now I will mostly rent it out and by the time I retire it should be paid off. From what I have seen and read Punta Cana sounds beautiful and affordable. I will be visiting the area and staying at a hotel before I make any final comitments. So for now I am just researching what is available in the area.

Sue

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
I am looking for a winter escape when I retire. This property seems to be a good deal in a fast growing area. For now I will mostly rent it out and by the time I retire it should be paid off. From what I have seen and read Punta Cana sounds beautiful and affordable. I will be visiting the area and staying at a hotel before I make any final comitments. So for now I am just researching what is available in the area.

Sue

That makes good sense, was just trying to be protective and encouraging you to be cautious.

Hel and back

Sep 14, 2007
Hi

Unicane is really the only shop for all your house needs but be careful, can be a little expensive so choose wisely - they have a small shop in the Palma Real shopping mall and also a larger store on the road between the Fruisa crossroads towards the Iberstar and Riu Hotels, on the left. Also there is a rumour that Illuminair (not sure if spelt right) is coming to Punta Cana (out near the airport where the Jumbo is going I think) - my husband has looked at their shops in Santo Domingo and was really impressed with what they had to offer so things are coming to Punta Cana - it just takes a little time!!!:ermm:

andy_089

Mar 23, 2003
Don't be stupid. Villas del Sol II is far from everything, especially from the beach. The best places to purchase good furniture for normal prices are still in Santo Domingo. If you buy a lot of things, they will carry it for free to Punta Cana the next day.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Hi

Unicane is really the only shop for all your house needs but be careful, can be a little expensive so choose wisely - they have a small shop in the Palma Real shopping mall and also a larger store on the road between the Fruisa crossroads towards the Iberstar and Riu Hotels, on the left. Also there is a rumour that Illuminair (not sure if spelt right) is coming to Punta Cana (out near the airport where the Jumbo is going I think) - my husband has looked at their shops in Santo Domingo and was really impressed with what they had to offer so things are coming to Punta Cana - it just takes a little time!!!:ermm:

Ilumel (furniture) and Cerarte (ceramics, bathrooms and kitchens) are supposed to be opening branches in Punta Cana. So is one of the ferreterias - (Americana?) - a department and hardware store. There are some nice looking furniture/home decor stores in Punta Cana Village IIRC.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Here is a bit of informationj:
There is an architect and his wife, Desangles, is his name, that build furniture out there in Punta Cana, and it is beautiful...and oh so comfortable.

HB

anng3

Bronze
Jan 12, 2007
Not to hijack the thread but if you buy furniture in Santo Domingo do they deliver to Sosua?

gringosabroso

Oct 16, 2004
Rent 1st!! For 3 years, at least.

Sue, I think that you're making a potentially serious & very expensive error in judgment. I'm an American who has been living in the DR or 12 years; I bought a house 6 years ago. My advice to any emigrant: rent 1st; learn a lot @ the community you plan to live in!! Why?
* real estate, esp. single family homes, is an extremely illiquid investment in the DR; where I live, Puerto Plata, it frequently takes 3 - 5 - 7 years to sell a home. I exagerate not.
* If you don't like Punta Cana [or the people, DR or foreign] you have put yourself between a rock & a hard place. Each DR location has its own distinctive character &, usually population.
* You don't want to deal with renters &their inevitable problems from 1,000 - 1,500 miles away, depending on DRs for info & services! You are leading with your chin!
* When you arrive & rent, advise the local R E community that you have CASH!! CASH is king in this country.
* Meet the local expats. Discreetly look around for motivated sellers, very motivated! There are always those who look foward to 15 - 20 - 25 years of pleasant retirement, in the DR for example. Then? Divorce, cancer, a major illness, absence of grandchildren, etc. These people are extremely anxious to sell.
* My suggestions: rent for 3 years; buy an inexpensive car; travel @ the country, trying to live in each attractive location for @ 2 weeks. Then, . . listen to the inner voices. Good fortune.

susan77

Jan 19, 2008
Just my 2 cents: We live in the states and are buying a small house 300 steps from the beach in Las Terrenas--We signed the Promise of Sale today (our wedding 19th anniversary!) and plan to rent it part of the year until we can spend 6 mths there after we retire (in 6 yrs)-- So far, we have NO regrets! I do agree that you must VISIT where you plan to buy and read ALL postings on this forum-- There are some VERY wise people sharing invaluable advice! Good luck!
Susan