Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Christmas Duty Free

Any one know the date when the Christmas Duty free - pay no import tax ends?

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default No tax free for me

I just picked up a camera flash for Aeropaq (my mail service ) and Aduanas charged me $25.

I guess the Christmas Tax exemption does not apply to me.

My Spanish is not very good so I did not understand the explanation they gave.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

If you had been able to read the link I gave you would have seen 'Esta disposición se orienta a beneficiar a los dominicanos residentes en el extranjero por sus aportes en remesas y a sus amigos, parientes o relacionados afectados por los desastres naturales acontecidos por la Tormenta Noel.' And it related to people travelling into DR during dates specified & bringing goods with them not people already here collecting goods from a mail service as far as I'm aware (see note on link about presenting self to Customs at port or airport after arrival).

So no I wouldn't think it would have applied to you if you didn't fit the criteria specified. Don't take it personally, they weren't out to scam you.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default First-hand experience

I brought in a 32" flat screen tv using my residency and assumed, based on all that I heard, that I'd be exempt from paying the import tax. I was stopped at customs and required to pay import tax.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jackquontee View Post
    I brought in a 32" flat screen tv using my residency and assumed, based on all that I heard, that I'd be exempt from paying the import tax. I was stopped at customs and required to pay import tax.
    IMPORT tax or ITBIS?

ITBIS has always been charged at customs, Residencia or not, First 'FREE' container or not. Electrical goods are subject to ITBIS (Vallue Added Tax). ~ Grahame.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Was it in your 40' container?

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

How much did they charge?

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Are you a Dominican living abroad? I thought the criteria on the website for the Christmas exemption were pretty clear, myself. If foreigners thought it also applied to them they should have checked it out by emailing the website. That's what I advised those people who PMed me in November to do.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BushBaby View Post
    IMPORT tax or ITBIS?

ITBIS has always been charged at customs, Residencia or not, First 'FREE' container or not. Electrical goods are subject to ITBIS (Vallue Added Tax). ~ Grahame.
    Based upon the paperwork (which I don't have at present as I am back in the states now) it was for import tax. No container involved as I was simply bringing it in through customs on arrival at the airport.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast