pay as you go phones

jessann116

Dec 31, 2007
I travel to the DR several times a year. Currenly I am contemplating purchasing a DR cell phone with the pay as you go option, as this will be much cheaper than using my USA cell while I am there and paying USD$1.99 a minute.

How much will a cheap pay as you go phone cost? If I have an old cell from the states is it possible to take that to the DR and have it activated with a "pay as you go" plan?

DOMINCAN BOY

On Vacation!
Jun 6, 2006
Get the phone unlocked for any net work. sim free it also has to be a tri band or a quad band phone i am not sure if you can get a payg sim as you might need ID my family gets my sim with there ID, also after a while if the sim is not used it gets cut off then you will after buy another one when you go back.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
You can buy cheap phones starting at 30 bux, but they often have lousy sound, so if you're already struggling with Spanish, it may be worth getting a more expensive better unit.
There's no price for missing a date with your favorite lady, because you couldn't understand her on the phone.

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
Orange stores sell a basic Nokia chip (GSM, pay as you go) phone for RD$ 900.oo. (about USD 28.oo). It has English and Spanish as operating menu languages, is brand new with warranty and comes with a wall wart charger.
It sure ain't fancy and won't impress the girls much, won't play mp3's nor shoot pictures or keep you otherwise occupied punching buttons senselessly but if it gets stolen or you loose it, you will be able to walk away with a grin anyway.

Btw, cell phones are not an economical solution to call abroad here either.

... J-D.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Currently with Centennial pay as you go phones they are charging 2 pesos per minute to the US and Puerto Rico. That is 6 cents per minute. This is a special though.

jessann116

Dec 31, 2007
Orange stores sell a basic Nokia chip (GSM, pay as you go) phone for RD$ 900.oo. (about USD 28.oo). It has English and Spanish as operating menu languages, is brand new with warranty and comes with a wall wart charger.

Do you know if it has texting capability? And I'm assuming it has caller ID?

Thanks a lot, your post was very helpful!

snoozer

Jan 22, 2004
Bought one at Orange before christmas for 600 pesos including 300 pesos time credit. Cannot get much cheaper than that, and it works fine.

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
Yes to both. All cell phones in the DR have text and caller ID.

Well, yes and no... sometimes (so not to say "many" times) inbound int'l calls show as "809 000 0000" on my Orange pay as you go phone.

Texting works better into EU than the US as many US providers are not so good on SMS.

... J-D.