Hillbilly goes South....aaarrrrgggghhh!!!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Well dear friends, since i am sort of using these forums as my "blog space" here
is the tail end of the trip.

We had reservations on Flt NK715 (Spirit) out of FLL to SDQ at 6 freakin' o'clock in the morning. This means that check in begins at 4 ohmygod in the morning.
We went to the airport at around 1 o'clock and tried to sleep a bit but with a 9 year old on one shoulder and Mrs HB on the other, it was tough.

Finally, Mrs. HB notices that people are streaming in to stand in line!! OMG! all our plans to be first in line went down the drain!!! But, not to worry, there were not that many people that early for the NK715 so the wait to be checked in was very short.

Checked three bags, took along three carry-ons....Damned Spirit website had too much traffic so I could not pay for the bags on-line ($5) and ended up paying $10 at the counter.. The web-site said "please print out this form....bla bla" But there is not much help if you do not have a printer...

Note to self--get daughter a printer..

Flight itself was fine-frankly I do not remember much of it...Passing thorugh Migraci?n and Customs in Santo Domingo was a breeze...

Ahhhhhhhhhhhh, then I got behind the wheel of my car....OMG!! These people are crazy!!!
Talk about Culture Shock!!
Mrs. HB was not in the car for five minutes before she is screaming "Watch out!!!!!!!" (She is a notorious back/front seat driver)

The 200 kilometers to Santiago were marked by things I had not even been aware of ten days ago...super slow vehicles in the "fast' lane, cars incapable of going more than 20 kph using the Elevado in Santo Domingo for a parking lot????WTF????

Well, all of you local folks know exactly what I mean...Welcome Home, Hillbilly!!

Good to be back, dogs wagged their tails and started a minor wind storm...the good chicken soup with con-con and avocado was perfect for the moment.

Take care folks....HB is BAAAAAAAAk

HB

Kat1144

Nov 23, 2007
Welcome back home ... home sweet home to you and yours

PS I can relate to Mrs. HB... I am a back seat driver.. especially in the DR. Cuidao Cuidao . jeje

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Man I HOPE you've been practicing!!! 10 days in the warm Florida sun whilst we have been swimming around with flippers on you'll need to give me 5 shots at least next weekend!!

Welcome Home Big Bro' & a BIG kiss to ' 'Er in Doors' ~ Grahame.

DrChrisHE

On Probation!
Jul 23, 2006
Welcome back HB...Yup, culture shock it is. Every time I leave I go through it when I return. The thing is that when I first arrived, I was AMUSED by these behaviors for about 6 mo. Then my next trip that only lasted 6 wks. This past one (and I've had several more in between these) I think it only lasted 6 hours. I've been back 5 days and...well my cursing vocab is back up to speed.

Kat...it is WORSE being in the backseat. I swear everything LOOKS more terrifying. I'd rather be the one driving because at least I know that I'm a good driver and try to anticipate the classic Dominican maneuvers.

BushBaby--did you guys get as much rain as we did today? Of course we were MOVING with an open truck and had to load it under a carport and time the ride to try and avoid soaking things even with a tarp.

?Pr?spero A?o Nuevo!

DrChrisHE

On Probation!
Jul 23, 2006
Welcome back HB...Yup, culture shock it is. Every time I leave I go through it when I return. The thing is that when I first arrived, I was AMUSED by these behaviors for about 6 mo. Then my next trip that only lasted 6 wks. This past one (and I've had several more in between these) I think it only lasted 6 hours. I've been back 5 days and...well my cursing vocab is back up to speed.

Kat...it is WORSE being in the backseat. I swear everything LOOKS more terrifying. I'd rather be the one driving because at least I know that I'm a good driver and try to anticipate the classic Dominican maneuvers.

BushBaby--did you guys get as much rain as we did today? Of course we were MOVING with an open truck and had to load it under a carport and time the ride to try and avoid soaking things even with a tarp.

?Pr?spero A?o Nuevo!

Kat1144

Nov 23, 2007
I agree DrChrisHe.. It is just hard for me to get use to the agressive driving in the DR, when I visit I just prefer for others to drive...
I should wear an eye mask and just pray for a safe arrival... but then all miss all the action =)

Musicqueen

Miami Nice!
Jan 31, 2002
HB...I CAN'T believe you were in my back yard for 10 days and DID NOT CONTACT ME!!!

I feel so bad...it would have been a great time to introduce you to the man that took me away from you... ;)

No, really...why didn't you let me know? We could have met for drinks or something...

Oh, well....we're gonna be in DR first week of February...maybe we can meet again then...

I know what you mean about driving in DR...I keep telling Tony to get ready for that shock!!! :)

Take care...