Husband's Liability?

Danny W

Bronze
Mar 1, 2003
Our relationship is entering its 5th year, so my Dominican novia(living in Sosua) and I (American with official residence in New York) are going to officially tie the not.

Marisol is from a very poor family, many of whom are without papers, etc. She has become quite a successful person: administrator of our condo association, finishing high school and preparing for college, running a clothing boutique and raising 2 children. But given her backgroung, she often overlooks things that I, coming from another world, think might be potentially dangerous.

For example, the car is in her name, and I have seen her casually give the keys to her brother to run an errand. I immediately ask if he has a license, a question that did not occur or seem important to her. Of course, the answer is no. Things like that.

So my question is, when we are legally married, will I become liable for her mistakes. If her brother had an accident driving her car - would I be liable, etc.? In general, what is the husband's liability?

thanks - D

The Virginian

Bronze
Mar 16, 2007
Not a lawyer, but when she becomes your wife would you not feel responsible to a degree for anything she might do regardless of the legalities.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Legally speaking the car owner is the person liable.
Unless you have a declaration called "separaci?n de bienes" previous to tying the KNOT, all of your stuff becomes her stuff....50-50...except land I think....

Maybe you can teach her to be a bit more cautious??

HB