Carnaval Tips

rkimages

Jan 7, 2008
Hello everyone,

We are planning to arrive on Feb. 23 to Santo Domingo and stay there on Feb. 24 then go up to Samana from Feb. 25-27 and return to Santo Domingo for Feb. 28-29.

What are the best days to be in Santo Domingo for Carnaval?

Will there be Carnaval festivities in Las Terrenas or Samana City as well?

Any other tips about visiting during Carnaval?

Thank you.

apexteclovesDR

Jan 9, 2008
I would love to hear the answers for this as well. I was planning to be in SD on the 27th itself and I'm wondering if anything will be going on — or is it just an off day, with the festivities on the weekends? I have heard that Samana City has Carnaval as well, but I don't have much info on it. Will there be any good parties/festivities on the night of the 27th or does it die down by then?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Carnival in Santo Domingo is limited to one long parade that is attended by the best in carnival from all around the country. And it takes place the first Sunday in March, not on the 27th itself. That is 2 March.

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
They do have a Parade on 27 of feb as well

The parade on 27 of feb is really an independence day parade. Only suggested to attend if you are having trouble sleeping! They basically parade every single military vehicle down the Malecon! I mean EVERY vehicle. . .down to motorcycles. . . . .I bet that leaves us vulnerable for an attack;-)

Dominican Republic Carnaval Videos There are a few videos of Carnaval. Some from La vega for which you can take a day trip from the capital, some from Bonao and even one of the santo domingo Carnaval Parade.

I wish I could locate the tape with footage of carnaval in Monte Cristi as that Carnaval is CRAZY!!!!

apexteclovesDR

Jan 9, 2008
So is SD a worthwhile trip to make on the 27th? We were planning on cutting short our time in Samana to check out the festivities in SD that day. But if it's just a boring military parade, I'd rather stay up in Samana for another day of beach. Any good parties in SD that night? Are any stores/restaurants even open?

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Restaurants will be open, most stores will be closed. Stay in Samana. Your stay there is already too short.

Musicqueen

Miami Nice!
Jan 31, 2002
It's my understanding (DON'T ANYONE get offended now ;) ) that the La Vega Carnival is the best in the country...and they have it every Sunday in February...you could take a trip from Samana to La Vega which maybe a shorter trip than going to Santo Domingo...

We'll be there from Jan. 31st to Feb. 6th...so on the 3rd we will be in La Vega!!!

Maybe we'll see you there!! ;)

MQ & Tony