Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 25
  1. #1
    Dominisueca
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    409
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default What to buy to someone who's difficult to give gifts to?

    And that someone is my mom. Her birthday is this Feb (I'm actually going to be there this year) and I'm clueless (as my sisters are) about what to give her, and here's why:

    - she doesn't want any house-related gift (and with reason)
    - she was given a gift certificate from Casa Mora but came back home complaining she didn't find anything to her liking. BUT if she's just window shopping then she finds 100 things she'd like to get (bad timing maybe?)
    - when I gave her jewelry she didn't wear it at work (I'm not saying when she goes to work, but after she's come to her office and in the security of those 4 walls)
    - when my sister gave her a set containing a body cream and a body splash, she rejected the gift and said they didn't smell like anything
    - once a LONG time ago she said Avon perfumes and creams smelled like cockroach (how does a cockroach smell?)
    - being that she's a very independent woman, she won't accept money from me (and to her that'd be a tacky gift)
    - books, CD's, etc. are a no-no (don't ask)
    - for some unknown reason to me and my sisters, she won't let us take her out to dinner or to a weekend in an AI.

    I don't know what she likes when it comes to clothes and I don't know her size either, so I don't want to risk buying some pieces here that she'll reject. I made her a photo album with photos from my travels and will give it to her then, and I was thinking about a pair of shoes and a matching purse (my sister would have to find out her size and if her style has changed since I was last there) but I'd like alternatives, if possible. I'm a very practical person and my motto is "if I don't like it I don't give it away".

    Let it be known that I'm not complaining about how she is, but how she makes the situation more difficult than it can be.

    So, any ideas?

    Moderator: feel free to move this thread to a better forum if by any chance I posted it on the wrong one.

    PS: Is this read DR related? Yes, both me, my mother and my sisters are Dominican born and raised, but I live in Europe.
    Last edited by mariel; 01-07-2008 at 01:03 PM. Reason: Disclaimer

  2. #2
    Honorificabilitudinitatibus
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    13,844
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mariel View Post
    And that someone is my mom. Her birthday is this Feb (I'm actually going to be there this year) and I'm clueless (as my sisters are) about what to give her, and here's why:

    - she doesn't want any house-related gift (and with reason)
    - she was given a gift certificate from Casa Mora but came back home complaining she didn't find anything to her liking. BUT if she's just window shopping then she finds 100 things she'd like to get (bad timing maybe?)
    - when I gave her jewelry she didn't wear it at work (I'm not saying when she goes to work, but after she's come to her office and in the security of those 4 walls)
    - when my sister gave her a set containing a body cream and a body splash, she rejected the gift and said they didn't smell like anything
    - once a LONG time ago she said Avon perfumes and creams smelled like cockroach (how does a cockroach smell?)
    - being that she's a very independent woman, she won't accept money from me (and to her that'd be a tacky gift)
    - books, CD's, etc. are a no-no (don't ask)
    - for some unknown reason to me and my sisters, she won't let us take her out to dinner or to a weekend in an AI.

    I don't know what she likes when it comes to clothes and I don't know her size either, so I don't want to risk buying some pieces here that she'll reject. I made her a photo album with photos from my travels and will give it to her then, and I was thinking about a pair of shoes and a matching purse (my sister would have to find out her size and if her style has changed since I was last there) but I'd like alternatives, if possible. I'm a very practical person and my motto is "if I don't like it I don't give it away".

    Let it be known that I'm not complaining about how she is, but how she makes the situation more difficult than it can be.

    So, any ideas?

    Moderator: feel free to move this thread to a better forum if by any chance I posted it on the wrong one.

    PS: Is this read DR related? Yes, both me, my mother and my sisters are Dominican born and raised, but I live in Europe.
    Buy her a two week vacation to the DR.

  3. #3
    Dominisueca
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    409
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Oh she lives there already, I'm the one living out of DR.

  4. #4
    Honorificabilitudinitatibus
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    13,844
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mariel View Post
    Oh she lives there already, I'm the one living out of DR.
    A 2 week vacation to visit you?

  5. #5
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    17,246
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    How about a pampering session at a spa, or a day out somewhere, with a meal in a nice restaurant?

  6. #6
    Honorificabilitudinitatibus
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    13,844
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chirimoya View Post
    How about a pampering session at a spa, or a day out somewhere, with a meal in a nice restaurant?
    And way less expensive than the 2 week vacation.

  7. #7
    Regular
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    213
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chirimoya View Post
    How about a pampering session at a spa, or a day out somewhere, with a meal in a nice restaurant?
    Yes, I agree with that one - take her out somewhere and spend some time with her, mums love that

  8. #8
    Platinum
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    16,393
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Buy her some nice hair products like Sebastian and a bottle of perfume. These could easily set you back US100 but she would really appreciate it. A nice bottle of lotion would be icing on the cake.

  9. #9
    Bronze
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    954
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chirimoya View Post
    How about a pampering session at a spa, or a day out somewhere, with a meal in a nice restaurant?
    Excellent suggestion, Chiri.

    Also,

    You could maybe go "window shopping" on your way to a restaurant and when she sees something she likes, run into the store and buy it for her right then and there - that way "bad timing" would turn into "good timing!"

    Chip - she had already stated she didn't like her last gift of lotions etc. If she is anything like me - I find perfume a personal thing, some scents just don't work well on some woman. Example: I can use Calvin Klein Eternity but Calvin Klein Escape just smells horrible on me!! LOL She would have to find out what scent she likes etc. which would then maybe ruin the surprise.

    Marlie

  10. #10
    I didn't last long...
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    5,136
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Muy facil.......

    VERY, VEEEEEEEEEERY easy.

    This is how us (siblings and I) dealt with my mom (granted, she was NOT a complainer when a gift was given to her....because even if she didn't like the gift, there's no way in hell she would have said anything negative about it...because she wouldn't want to offend the giver!):

    One of us would ask her to write down 15 things she would like you have, WHATEVER she could think of......

    Then we would get her 8 (because we are 8.....we asked for 15 so she wouldn't know what she was going to get) of the things she wanted.

    It became a routine and it worked like a sharm!!.


Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •