Metro for 20 pesos

Duece

Mar 11, 2004
The Metro is not even expected to be completed until the "end" of the current administration, that would be about 2011 or so. Well, if it only cost 20 pesos by then I will eat my hat, coat and shoes. This is going to be a big shock to people for several reasons. First, how many people could or would possibly ride the thing? Second, how on earth could the thing operate on 20 pesos per fare unless it is going to be the single largest subsidized entity in the Domincan Republic. Third, just the repairs, wages and upkeep alone will exceed the amount collected on paying customers. Forget inflation, unexpected expenses and corruption. Oh well, at least we can dream but the light at the end of the tunnel won't be the Metro, it will be the surprise of how much it is really going to cost.

Tallman1818

Nov 19, 2007
The first line of the metro will be ready by september 2008, now the other 3 lines will be complete by 2015. get your info correct.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I almost spewed my coffee this morning when i read that bit. It only confirms the outrageous cost that was projected by some people as to the subsidy needed to run the Metro. Talk about an albatross around the neck of the public, that is the 98% of the population that will never, ever ride it but who will each and everyone of them have to pay for those that do ride it....

I can understand PICHARDO's statements as to what is planned, and i wonder how much of it is written tongue in cheek...

this is just the tip of the Metroberg!!!

HB

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Just drove to Las Americas airport and back after dark. Not a single street light along that flagship avenue was lit because of repeated theft of cables. What an introduction to the country... and one can't help wondering how the removable and resaleable bits of the metro infrastructure will fare.

SamanaJon

Jun 20, 2007
Spoken for!!!! Sold!!!

How much does used train track go for on the black market???

Sorry DavidZ. I hate to break the news to you, but the rail/track in SD has already been sold to the Barcelona Spain's rapid transit system already, by an unknown seller. This will be used in their expansion project in 2012.... Probably the Lion's BIL was the mystery seller. ;););)

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
The Actual "COST" Per Rider Is More Like 3 to 4 US Dollers Per Rider!

That will make the subsidy per rider at about 100 Dominican pesos! Since the "METRO" as an entity is NOT the goal of the "Metro" that doesn't really make any difference! The "GOAL" is to make millionairs of as many government officials as possible NOW! THAT goal is being met!
The "Bad Roads" are NOT what has caused the demise of the OMSA busses! Lack of maINTANENCE and something unhead of in the DR,Preventive Mantenance, as what caused the demise!
Leonel will actually "Ride" the Metro of Feb. 27th.! On the few hundred feet of track they are tring to put into operation before that date!
In a Country that can not,or better said, WILL NOT, take care of it's poor,sick,and uneducated,The METRO is as needed as another "POLL" by "Nals"!
Cris Colon
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
To Duece:

The SD Metro won't be finished by 2011 but late 2008 completed...

The remarks made about Fernandez end of his current administration means just that, unless you have some new JCE data to a new date for elections or something to that effect...

To Hillbilly:

Don't spill your coffee yet...
The data of which you speak of is based on hearsay by political parties in the DR, not actual data from the projected financial table for the SD Metro...
To offer you some solid data:
The SD Metro will not need heavy gov subsidy because it won't have to repay itself back the primary loan that paid for the Line 1 construction...
The SD will operate with a small slice of the budget of the DR only. The Metro will pay for further extensions via self sufficiency, much of which already has been projected and found to be of sound economic backing by external overseers...

The Metro will benefit much of the aggressive stage that the gov will pursue regarding the collection of internal taxes in all sizes of the economic ladder; small, medium and big biz will be required to use electronic accounting software that a new already under training arm of the Tax revenue service will enforce via audits.

The Metro will however need public funds until ridership meets the parameters that will render it self sufficient; until then, the gov will provide for the electrical usage and infrastructure up keeping.

To CCC CCCCCCCCCCCCC etc...:

The actual cost 3 to 4 US$$$ LOL!!!!! Who gave you that amount? Maldonado's PR's office??? LOL!!!

Even if the Metro rides were to be as cheap as 10 pesos!! That amount, given that the gov will pick up the tab (which already it does to keep the regular Joe from committing suicide) of the #1 expense by the name of Electricity, will be enough to make the SD Metro operate on the black...

Maintenance will be provided by crews from the gov payroll, so will Police, cleaning staff, information personnel, etc...

The actual needs of the Metro will be supplied by the fares themselves...

It's not the job of any gov to look after education, health or wealth...
It's however the job of any gov to guarantee that such services and needs are equally available to all the citizens of the country, regardless of faith, color or gender...

It's the lack of supervision and enforcement via stiff penalties to violators, which makes any service provided in the DR a headache to say the least...

The OMSA buses did get the worst of our pot holes called streets and the past administration's fault of giving proper maintenance to the fleet which caused the current situation, if anything public bus fleets are to be renewed every 10 to 12 years as latest...

To Janin:

LOL!!!!!!

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Just drove to Las Americas airport and back after dark. Not a single street light along that flagship avenue was lit because of repeated theft of cables. What an introduction to the country... and one can't help wondering how the removable and resaleable bits of the metro infrastructure will fare.

I had not thought of it, but that is a great point. Right now anything metal people can get a hold of is gone in a NY minute. They are going to need 24X7 security the whole length of the tracks. Not long ago some high ranking official was caught dismantling the tracks of some of the trains used to carry sugar cane. This should all be very interesting...

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
The "METRO",is Leonel,s,"Baniter"!

If it costs between 3 to 4 dollars a "TRIP" per rider,everywhere in the World,why only 20 pesos in the DR???
You just divide annual budget,by number of riders,and you have the cost per rider!
Since we will never know the real annual budget here,you just have to "Guesstimate"! I'll tell you one thing,there is not a "METRO" in the World that doesn't need large government subsidies to operate. The DR will NOT be the exception!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
As I Predicted Two Days Ago!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Leonel WILL take a "SYMBOLIC" ride on the "Metro" on 27 Feb!
One of the new trains, will be operational for just that day,JUST for the ride! Fernandez made a fool of himself last year when he promosed that he would be the first to ride the new "LINE" this Feb. 27th. Now millions will be spent so that he can fulfil that empty promise! I propose that the car be named "El Gran "Boondoggle"!
How can you tell when a "Politico" is lying? His/Her lips are moving!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC