wedding inthe Dominican Republic

eztime

Feb 11, 2007
I am seeking out information regarding getting marry in the Dominican Republic. it appears to me that everyone I speak to or every web site I check out there is a difference of opinion. does anyone have any definitive answer regarding and American getting married to a Dominican of what is required. any help would be greatly appreciated. PS I take all comments with a grain of salt

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Taken from the legal page of DR1

Marriage requirements:

The Dominican Republic does not require you to get a marriage license. You need only to register to be married. The Oficialia del Estado Civil charges RD$50 for this. This is the first step prior to getting a marriage certificate.

Submit the following paperwork before the Oficial?a del Estado Civil for the preparation of your marriage certificate. Note that you may send photocopies in advance and bring the original with you:

Passport
Birth certificate
Single status affidavit translated by an official translator into Spanish
Divorce certificate translated into Spanish by an official translator, if applicable

(Legal transcripts of the birth certificates, single status affidavit and divorce act need to be prepared at the Dominican consulate in the country where the documents were issued.)

You will also need two witnesses. If they are foreigners, they will need to have passports as identification. If they are Dominicans, "cedulas" are sufficient.

II. After the marriage:

You will be given a document that proves the wedding took place. You then need to request a marriage certificate from the “Oficial de Estado Civil” (City Clerk) that married you.

Marriage certificate validity abroad

The document issued by “Oficial de Estado Civil” (City Clerk) is a valid marriage certificate.

DR1 - Legal

p1atan0

May 25, 2004
Same Situation Here

Im Planning On Getting Married In The Dominican Republic Also. And I Have 2 Questions About This Situation. After All These Procedures Are Taken Care Of.
1. How Long Before She Can Come To The U.s?
2. How Long Before She Can Start Working Legaly?

alicious

Bronze
Oct 2, 2007
Im Planning On Getting Married In The Dominican Republic Also. And I Have 2 Questions About This Situation. After All These Procedures Are Taken Care Of.
1. How Long Before She Can Come To The U.s?
2. How Long Before She Can Start Working Legaly?

You do realize you can't just marry someone and bring them to your country??

You need to apply for a visa for her through immigration...which is not an easy process...it takes lots of work, money and patience to complete...

p1atan0

May 25, 2004
wedding in D.R.

Actually, I Dont Want Her To Come To The U.s. For Another 2 Years Or So, I Need To Take Care Of Some Things Before She Comes. But, How Long Before She Can Start Working After She Gets Here?

Johana

May 24, 2006
Windeguy
1. it was the same information I received when I got married in October 2007.

2. I'll leave that for someone else - but it only makes sense to me that your documents need to be legalized by the D.R. consulate in the country that issued the original documents.

3. Birth Certificate needs to be translated and legalized.

4. Again I'll leave that - but I can't imagine they would.

5. There are different prices...there is 1 price for 2 foreigners that get married at the Civil office (you go to the judge) and a different price if the 2 foreigners get married off site (the judge comes to you).

Hope that helps.