Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Domain registration service

Hello everyone!

I'm planning to start some web projects in DR and have discovered that I don't know any domain registration service here.

So if anyone can help me on following questions - it would be very nice:

1) Domain registration services websites or adreses.
    (I haven't searched a lot, so the only URL I have is http://www.marcaria.com)

2) Is com.do really costs 120 USD/year for registration only?

3) Is there any legal information on subject? Something unusual?

4) Who is the main registrator in DR?
    (Suppose that Indotel, but couldn't find nothing in their "Servicios" section)

Thanks a lot!

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

PUCMM (Pontificia Universidad Católica Madre y Maestra) owns "com.do".

You may contact Mr. Nelson Bautista ([email protected]) for more info on the domain registration process for .com.do.

He's a web/graphic designer in Santiago.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Y use yahoo. It's cheap, simple and works... AND believe it or not, their customer service is quite personal (yep, by phone too).
    I would NEVER register to a .com.dr or .com.br (brasil) address or anything the like... there's no sense and it clutters the address, making it easier to mistype.
    I you want to go with a small local server, buy your own one... it's not that expensive anymore... still, I don't see the sense in 99.9999% of the cases.

... J-D.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

ALGS
    Thanks, I have wrote him.

2 J D Sauser:
    m...
    I'm asking for com.do registrator, yahoo doesn't support this extension. And I sure do have a reason to register com.do and nothing else.

DR1
    Post Thanks / Like

2 J D Sauser, if your looking for country specific traffic, then registering a TLD for a specific country is a very good idea.

Use N S . N I C . D O / Home

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

2 Robert:
    (was waiting for your reply

Thanks a lot - turned out that simple (about URL)

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

rised, I am deeply sorry I misread your post.

I however still do not believe the argument of specific traffic (attraction?) by having those (for surfer annoying) country specific extensions. In my opinion it also raises the chance that the web address is being (hand-)copied down badly from ads and so forth. But your reasons my be otherwise and I won't doubt their validity, especially since I don't seem to know them exactly.

I shall now excuse myself... J-D.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by J D Sauser View Post
    I however still do not believe the argument of specific traffic (attraction?) by having those (for surfer annoying) country specific extensions.
    Its not an argument .. it is factual. Folks diligently seek out .de or .za or .co.uk. or whatever extension. And if you search from 'there', you will see a whole different search result than if you search from 'here' ..
    This is search engine driven, more than anything else and is a fact of life.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    Its not an argument .. it is factual. Folks diligently seek out .de or .za or .co.uk. or whatever extension. And if you search from 'there', you will see a whole different search result than if you search from 'here' ..
    This is search engine driven, more than anything else and is a fact of life.
    I don't yet buy your argument that this is a fact, then.
    Especially not with the com.do extension.

The reason being that I surf a lot for things and services and I extremely seldom try to lock my search into a country by the use of domain extensions.
    Dot-de is an example that can hardly be used to compare it with a com-do- do extension... Germany comes in second right after the US in most e-biz... that won't ever be anywhere near the case with this HERE, or would you like a dr1.com.do?? In my opinion it will turn out more a limiting factor than opening doors. Dot-com is still the most universal extension for most applications world wide. Some big multinational companies may use these extension for region specific sites... and yet their main entry is... .com
    Even the es extension (for Spain) has not proven interesting... and I can tell you why: e-biz (as far as selling of goods go) depends on an affordable and reliable postal or alternate service . The US has them, so does Germany... Spain? Frogitaboutit! DR? I don't really need to...
    If I search anything IN the DR I add the word(s) Dominicana or Dominican to my search, sometimes both (Eg: Bagels Dominicana Dominican), ... in most cases it will show all sorts of sites doing or offering business and/or businesses HERE (no, no bagel sites here ).

... J-D.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Not here JD .. wrong forum, wrong place and dare I say, wrong tld.
    There are many other good technical webmaster sites that describe this thing very well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast