Domain registration service

rised

Oct 8, 2006
Hello everyone!

I'm planning to start some web projects in DR and have discovered that I don't know any domain registration service here.

So if anyone can help me on following questions - it would be very nice:

1) Domain registration services websites or adreses.
(I haven't searched a lot, so the only URL I have is http://www.marcaria.com)

2) Is com.do really costs 120 USD/year for registration only?

3) Is there any legal information on subject? Something unusual?

4) Who is the main registrator in DR?
(Suppose that Indotel, but couldn't find nothing in their "Servicios" section)

Thanks a lot!

ALGS

Jul 14, 2003
PUCMM (Pontificia Universidad Cat?lica Madre y Maestra) owns "com.do".

You may contact Mr. Nelson Bautista (nelson@nbsime.com) for more info on the domain registration process for .com.do.

He's a web/graphic designer in Santiago.

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
Y use yahoo. It's cheap, simple and works... AND believe it or not, their customer service is quite personal (yep, by phone too).
I would NEVER register to a .com.dr or .com.br (brasil) address or anything the like... there's no sense and it clutters the address, making it easier to mistype.
I you want to go with a small local server, buy your own one... it's not that expensive anymore... still, I don't see the sense in 99.9999% of the cases.

... J-D.

rised

Oct 8, 2006
ALGS
Thanks, I have wrote him.

2 J D Sauser:
m...
I'm asking for com.do registrator, yahoo doesn't support this extension. And I sure do have a reason to register com.do and nothing else.

rised

Oct 8, 2006
2 Robert:
(was waiting for your reply ;)

Thanks a lot - turned out that simple (about URL)

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
rised, I am deeply sorry I misread your post.

I however still do not believe the argument of specific traffic (attraction?) by having those (for surfer annoying) country specific extensions. In my opinion it also raises the chance that the web address is being (hand-)copied down badly from ads and so forth. But your reasons my be otherwise and I won't doubt their validity, especially since I don't seem to know them exactly.

I shall now excuse myself... J-D.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
I however still do not believe the argument of specific traffic (attraction?) by having those (for surfer annoying) country specific extensions.

Its not an argument .. it is factual. Folks diligently seek out .de or .za or .co.uk. or whatever extension. And if you search from 'there', you will see a whole different search result than if you search from 'here' ..
This is search engine driven, more than anything else and is a fact of life.

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
Its not an argument .. it is factual. Folks diligently seek out .de or .za or .co.uk. or whatever extension. And if you search from 'there', you will see a whole different search result than if you search from 'here' ..
This is search engine driven, more than anything else and is a fact of life.

I don't yet buy your argument that this is a fact, then. ;)
Especially not with the com.do extension.

The reason being that I surf a lot for things and services and I extremely seldom try to lock my search into a country by the use of domain extensions.
Dot-de is an example that can hardly be used to compare it with a com-do- do extension... Germany comes in second right after the US in most e-biz... that won't ever be anywhere near the case with this HERE, or would you like a dr1.com.do?? In my opinion it will turn out more a limiting factor than opening doors. Dot-com is still the most universal extension for most applications world wide. Some big multinational companies may use these extension for region specific sites... and yet their main entry is... .com
Even the es extension (for Spain) has not proven interesting... and I can tell you why: e-biz (as far as selling of goods go) depends on an affordable and reliable postal or alternate service . The US has them, so does Germany... Spain? Frogitaboutit! DR? I don't really need to...
If I search anything IN the DR I add the word(s) Dominicana or Dominican to my search, sometimes both (Eg: Bagels Dominicana Dominican), ... in most cases it will show all sorts of sites doing or offering business and/or businesses HERE (no, no bagel sites here :speechles).

... J-D.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Not here JD .. wrong forum, wrong place and dare I say, wrong tld. ;)
There are many other good technical webmaster sites that describe this thing very well.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
J D Sauser, your wrong, the country extension can be very important, especially with SE's and their locally focused algorithms.

If the market for DR1 was Dominicans in the DR, then I would put the site on a "dr1.com.do" domain (yes, we own it) as the SE's take the TLD into account.

If you run a multi-national site then you need to be careful with duplicate content filters when using multi TLD's and how that will effect your regional and international SERPS.

As Chris said, many webmaster and SEO sites cover this topic in great detail and the growing importance of country specific domains for local search.

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004

If the market for DR1 was Dominicans in the DR...

Ok, I could consider that scenario... it's true, so it was in Spain, Spaniards would rather google on google.ES. Americans (I am not one, but it's where I was when the the e-biz exploded [and imploded too]), don't have that geographical connection to the internet, althou some seem to believe the Internet as such is American ;).
I am still not in favor of that double extension (com+xyz) as it just clutters... it's not the same as dot-de or dot-es. I still think it don't look good, and what don't look good-don't sell. Just look at those stupid codetel e-mail addresses... it's not even worth the effort putting them on an add, they are so cluttered it almost looks like the path of a hidden windows system file, so, chances somebody will type it off correctly are slim. Automated screenings of SE's may not be hampered by that perception but people do. The psychology of surfers is something automated systems still don't to take into account all to well, as they change from country to country. Germans shop locally, because they have a lot of things available and their delivery services are reliable. That may subsequently also influence the way the browse, surf and search for other things (.de-centered). Do Dominicans surf in such a "patriotic" manner (because, patriotic they are, almost by definition)? I would be tempted to doubt that, because, they are too much US centered when it comes to technology driven entertainment and they don't have a history of successful local internet shopping (goods and services). In Brazil, which has a similar extension, this may again be different.

As I said above, I see you point a little better... and the rest is my opinion, and I will not hold it against you if you find it wrong.

... J-D.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
JD it is frequently not how you surf, but where you surf from. It is not what you like, but how search works. Nothing to do with patriotism, but a lot with what is behind search.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
As Chris said, this is about how search engines work and how they rank sites. It has nothing to do with how people surf.

Why do you think search engines have country specific data centers, TLD extensions and aggressively use GEO Targeting?

Not all country TLD's have a ".com" in them. Google's TLD's.

google.de
google.com
google.at
google.pl
google.fr
google.nl
google.it
google.com.tr
google.es
google.ch
google.be
google.gr