Importing Motorcylcles for resale...

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
Does anyone know "anyone" that can help import two bikes - one is a Harley Davidson RoadKing and the other a Bourget Chopper. Both are 2003's and both are fully legal and titled - The titles have been in my name since 2004. I'd be looking to sell one or both of them. (Robert - I will place a proper ad if I'm able to get them here ;) ).

There have been many threads covering the basics of importing, aduanas/customs, taxes, etc, but I'm hoping to find someone with specific experience that could help me bring in the two bikes...(Perhaps someone in the DR HOG club?)

...and if it's possible a 2000 BMW... I believe I can bring it if I pay an extra duty/tax because it's over 5 years old, but because of the condition and mileage, it may still be worth it.

Thanks!

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I have a motorcycle as well and have tried to find out out as well. What I know is that a bike that cost around US7000 will have to pay import duties of around 2 to 3k. The best and easiest way is to call the Aduanas office in the capital and ask for the person in charge of motorcycle importation. There is only one guy because I called before but he wasn't in. Please let us know what you find out.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Does anyone know "anyone" that can help import two bikes - one is a Harley Davidson RoadKing and the other a Bourget Chopper. Both are 2003's and both are fully legal and titled - The titles have been in my name since 2004. I'd be looking to sell one or both of them. (Robert - I will place a proper ad if I'm able to get them here ;) ).

There have been many threads covering the basics of importing, aduanas/customs, taxes, etc, but I'm hoping to find someone with specific experience that could help me bring in the two bikes...(Perhaps someone in the DR HOG club?)

...and if it's possible a 2000 BMW... I believe I can bring it if I pay an extra duty/tax because it's over 5 years old, but because of the condition and mileage, it may still be worth it.

Thanks!
I'm importing 12 new bikes, because it's actually just a tad more expensive as importing the same bike used. They won't be for resale. The duty will be based on the NEW value of them according to aduanas, pretty much regardless of age, plus sales and initial licensing costs (net of 33%). You'll be looking at around close to 60% of the NEW value, plus the shipping costs.

Unless you know someone, of course.;)

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
Chip - I'll post any relevant info I find out and Cobraboy, thanks for your input, even at these high rates plus shipping it may be worth it...the market for Harleys and custom bikes in the US is terrible right now...I need to either sell them there or bring them here...and Ive wanted to bring at least one here for a long time anyway...same with the car.