Salaries in DR...

Sany

Oct 2, 2007
Which jobs in the Domininca Republic would you say pays the highest salaries? Does the pay vary where you live or is it pretty much standard?
I read the title heading " Police officers getting new raise" and am in awe about the pay, and curious to know a bit more.

TY

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
What do you mean "in awe". Because police officers are presently making less than US$100 per month?

Pay is low and depends on who you work for. Most workers not in professional class have their starting salary fixed by law and their raises, when they get them, are mandated by the government. The category that our condo is in has to start employees a approximately RD$7500/month, which is about US$225. Government employees start at a lower wage.

DrChrisHE

On Probation!
Jul 23, 2006
I believe that the highest earners would be the drug dealers? Yes/no?

Don't be in awe of the police salaries. The reason so many police have other jobs is BECAUSE of how pathetically low their salaries are. It's a thankless, dangerous and low paying job here.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
Salaries

I have a few young, single Dominican friends, with college degrees, who make or have made about 20,000 a month.

The minister at the local church gets 60,000 pesos a month, and is given a house with the utilities paid.

I have an architect friend who has said that it costs/ a minimum of 40,000 pesos a month to maintain his lifestyle, with his apartment paid for.

Even the international NGOs (including the peace corps) have a double pay standard for "foreign hires" and local hires.

Sany

Oct 2, 2007
Another question then, if you all don't mind?

How much of an income would a single person in the RD need to get all their essentials paid, and then some... (rent,food, etc.)

How far does 20,000pesos/month take a single person? BTW, are the amounts quoted above net or gross?

Thank you,

Sany

Tallman1818

Nov 19, 2007
Well it all depends, how much are you going to pay for rent and how often you want to go out shopping, but you make 20,000 pesos in a month and you may pay 7,500 - 10,000 pesos a month rent to live in a decent area, plus food about 2,500 (cheap) a week for food plus about 500 for car fare or bus fare unless you have a car and will them spend more than that on gas, plus electricity, phone, water and once in a while your propene gas cylinder.

Fernandez

Bronze
Jan 4, 2002
highest salaries

The highest salaries are paid to the political beasts that run the country.
After them, the minimum wage is approximately RD$6,500 pesos per month. This is where at least 50% of the country rest.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i think the highest salaries must be those you pay yourself - id est in self-owned business.
possibly the best medium business would be repuestos (car parts), gas stations and farmacies. those may bring even 300.000 plus pesos a month providing the business is running good.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
i think the highest salaries must be those you pay yourself - id est in self-owned business.
possibly the best medium business would be repuestos (car parts), gas stations and farmacies. those may bring even 300.000 plus pesos a month providing the business is running good.
Dorota! Nice to see you...:D

Sany

Oct 2, 2007
I see... and how much of an income would a single person in the RD need to get all their essentials paid for, and then some... (rent,food, etc.). Would 6,500 pesos be enough?

Does it matter where you live? I may be wrong but it appears from other threads that Santo Domingo maybe one of the less expensive places to live, where Punta Cana is more expensive; is that right?

Thanks in advance for your responses.

Sany

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
sany, everyone will tell you the same - a dominican can live for his/hers 6000/month - they'd steal electricity and eat the cheapest food. a tiny flat in a barrio may cost less then 2.000 pesos. everything is doable and dominicans manage on the little money they have.
for a foreigner it's different, a single person would possibly need about 20.000 pesos a month, maybe less if they live in a cheap area, eat cheap food and drive a pasola.
if you want a decent standards - one thousand dollars a month will do.

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
This question of "how much can I make and what will it cost" is the second most asked question(s), I think?

EACH person has to look at trade offs and what they can live with or live without and for how long. A very personal but real "thing".

People should ask themselves:
1. If I have never been to the D.R. other then a vacation, why do I want to move to the D.R.
2. If you can not get or keep a: job/apt/home/relationship in your home country.... why do you think that it will be better in a place that.... you don't speak the language, know the customs, have any money, have the mindset or able to have a complete change of attitude.
3. You have not done any/much research if you have to ask the question.
4. IF you do not have a good to large amount of money or an income from your home country... Look at the poorest part of your own country, look at the jobs, income, housing, living conditions and crime. NOW... cut that in half if not more.
5. Gringos pay more. A lot more. Most gringos pay twice what the locals do IF you don't know how it works here.
6. DO YOU have the real guts and drive to do this.

Good luck. Regards, Ringo

Reactions: badpiece33

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
to second ricardo's words - any business that is good and brings good income will cost LOTS OF MONEY to start. not only that - you'd have to know the right people, have a good lawyer and quite a lot of luck.

Sany

Oct 2, 2007
This question of "how much can I make and what will it cost" is the second most asked question(s), I think?

EACH person has to look at trade offs and what they can live with or live without and for how long. A very personal but real "thing".

People should ask themselves:
1. If I have never been to the D.R. other then a vacation, why do I want to move to the D.R.
2. If you can not get or keep a: job/apt/home/relationship in your home country.... why do you think that it will be better in a place that.... you don't speak the language, know the customs, have any money, have the mindset or able to have a complete change of attitude.
3. You have not done any/much research if you have to ask the question.
4. IF you do not have a good to large amount of money or an income from your home country... Look at the poorest part of your own country, look at the jobs, income, housing, living conditions and crime. NOW... cut that in half if not more.
5. Gringos pay more. A lot more. Most gringos pay twice what the locals do IF you don't know how it works here.
6. DO YOU have the real guts and drive to do this.

Good luck. Regards, Ringo

Hi Ringo, my plan is not to live in the RD, it has never been a desire of mine. I love what I have in my Country and what is has to offer. Visits here and there? For sure... Thanks for the response nonetheless.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
thanks!
and it's mrs. dorota too! :eek:
Mrs. Dorota??? Muy excellante!!! Congrats!!! We hope to meet "miesposa" (fka "minovio") very soon! Alida sends her regards!

Best Wishes!:cheeky: :D

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
I thought one of the main reasons people from Canada, US, etc.. move to the DR is to escape the hustle & bustle of the rat race and live a more relaxing life. You are supposed to leave behind the:

packed like sardines subway
bumper to bumper traffic
unfriendly people
cold weather
300 cable channels
buying this & buying that
your damn blackberry, etc.......

If you research, read the threads, and PLAN, I strongly believe most could come here and make it.