Early retirement - Things to do...

realfortin

Mar 28, 2007
Hi everyone, here is a post I hope will create some interesting conversations.

I am considering an 'early' retirement in about 2-3 years time. I'll be a single guy, 38 by then. Since I am single, I was thinking somewhere near Santo Domingo so I can still enjoy a little nightlife and "weekend socializing". Money is not my overriding issue as I will have a steady, reliable income of about 2400/month (after taxes taken off in Canada). I intend on living in a modest apartment to allow me to set aside more money for entertainment and sports.

I am sure I won't have the average retiree?s lifestyle as I will be a little younger than the average. Some of the additional things that I intend on doing will be to scuba dive a few times a month, cycle around town, mountain biking in the more remote areas, going to the gym, taking on yoga, learning to kiteboard and enjoying the beach, all in addition to the usual socializing that one does. One of the bigger challenges will likely be to find friends and/or clubs for each separate activity (as well as keeping all of these activities at resonable costs versus tourist costs). I'll also be quite active on the internet, chatting to my friends that I have made in my travels around the world as well as downloading/watching my favourite TV shows.

I am guessing that about at least half of the expats living in the DR are reitred. What fills your day, your week? Are you bored to tears or are you just as busy as when you were working? I know of a lot of retirees that take on so many social activities they feel like there is never a dull moment. Do you think I can live there without going crazy of boredom? I'd hate to stay here in the rat race for the simple fear of not having enough to do. I spend most of my days at work daydreaming of sunny shores. I'd hate to end up on sunny shores daydreaming of 9-5.

What does everyone think? What fills your day/week? I hope this creates a lot of friendly posts.

jruane44

Bronze
Jul 2, 2004
A, A
To be honest I think you will need more than $2400 a month especially with that lifestyle. Everything that you mentioned is not very cheap. You will definetly be able to live off of it but you will not live the life that you want.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
What is retirement?

Why don't we start off with -What is the definition of retirement? Retiring from what? Whether you are 35 or 65 what part of your life are you giving up so that one may persue "a life of retirement"?
I'm serious about defining first and then discussing the question you ask.

JOHN

realfortin

Mar 28, 2007
Yes, I would like not to concentrate on the financial aspect of it. The 2400 a month is the income coming in from a pension plan. I have additional investment income that I will only touch if/when I need additional funds. I prefer to let my investments continue to grow in case I ever want to return to Canada and retain my old way of living without having to work full time. I could buy some property outright in the DR and reduce my day to day costs but I would like to retain the ability to change locations/lifestyles as appropriate until I feel a need to settle down. As far as the costs of the activities, a lot of the cost is rental of equipment but I intend on buying it outright and reducing the costs.

I anticipate I might last a few years before I decide to start a new life again somewhere else (thailand? Argentina? Uruguay? who knows). Probably the reason I would start in the DR, and possibly stay there is that I have a close cousin that has started a business in SD who absolutely loves it there and insists I make the DR the 1st step in the start of my new life.

What is retirement? Well, that is enough to be a thread on it's own. Seems retirement is a dirty word. In my case I mean giving up the "work to live" part of life and just "live"

But back to my original question, what do YOU do ? Are you bored? Busy?

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Are you bored to tears or are you just as busy as when you were working? I know of a lot of retirees that take on so many social activities they feel like there is never a dull moment. Do you think I can live there without going crazy of boredom?

Do you get bored now? If so, the same could occur here. If you don't get bored now, it probably won't. Boredom is about attitude isn't it? It isn't about cramming your days with social activities necessarily - some people who do that are also bored. Some who have a nice uncrammed balance, aren't.

For what it's worth, I'm retired (as in not working for salary) but between spare time interests (mainly cerebral not sporting :) ), voluntary effort & running a home I'm busier if anything than when I worked. Boredom has never featured as a word in my vocabulary. And just wait until you find out how long simple things take to get done here...................;)

And by the way welcome to the DR & DR1.

realfortin

Mar 28, 2007
Thanks for the welcome Lambada,

I don't get bored that often over here. I'm either working or doing some kind of activity. I have no problem with sitting around and not doing anything on a rainy day, perhaps surf the net. The power outages I might have problems with but there will always be the good old reliable books or video on the ipod <grin>.
I think the one thing I would actually look forward to is the slowed down lifestyle and a good old daily afternoon nap.

I'm glad that you are enjoying your "retirement" and keeping yourself occupied and content. It's always good to hear some success stories. I've been reading the forums long enough to know that I should expect a flame from CC anytime now <grin>

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
As Lambada says the simple things seem to take for ever here. Plus there are the visits from friends and family back home which mean your life goes on hold for a couple of weeks. I fill my days with shopping in the market for my colmado, checking in there that everything is OK, helping new ex pats or visitors, helping local people, taking people to hospital without transport, walking, meeting friends for coffee or lunch, reading, internet etc. To be honest the time just flies past, so I doubt you would be bored.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
I wish I could get bored for a day or two.
I think it's like Lamabada said, an attitude.
I may be wrong, but I have a theory that only boring people can get bored.

sollie

Jul 30, 2006
As a thought to ponder I would submit this gem from Mainegirls blog, " There is just enough time in every day to live fully." Attitude makes the difference.

Sollie

senorblanco

Jun 11, 2006
I think a young guy under 40 who wants to kite-board and enjoy night life belongs on the North Coast in Cabarete, the kite surfing capitol of the world.
There are plenty of Euro and North American tourists and ex pats here, lots of English speaking people and plenty of "socialing" opportunities here.
If you don't speak Spanish I think the Capitol might be a little more difficult in terms of adjustment. It's also very urban compared to Cabarete.
And boredom LOL, well don't worry about that . I often wish I could have a boring day. It doesn't happen here, ever.
If you buy a place, say a Condo for example. Then $2,400 dollars a month will be nearly imposible to spend. Even if you need to pay 400 amonth rent you will have PLENTY of cash to do whatever you want.
You can gear up with all you need for kiting for about 1500 bucks , a one time cost, and then never pay a penny again.
2,000 dollars is 66,000 pesos or more than 2000rd a day, por favor, you can have all the fun, food, woman, etc.. . you want ~ Good Luck trying to spend your money...
If you need help gimme a call!

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
I agree that the North coast sounds a zillion times better to me, but there are a select few who really like living in Santo Domingo, so there must be some attraction to the place.
Personally, I can't stand spending an entire day there.

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
I suppose its all down to whether you are a city lover or not. Although cities have their advantages of night life and glamour (maybe) they are not for me and I don't just mean in DR. I hate cities the world over.. give me nature, animals, people, vegetation within throwing distance of towns like Sosua and Cabarete and I am a happy bunny and never, ever bored.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
I don't get bored that often over here. I'm either working or doing some kind of activity. I have no problem with sitting around and not doing anything on a rainy day, perhaps surf the net.

You'll be fine here then. As long as you don't need to be frenetically 'doing something', you'll be fine.

I may be wrong, but I have a theory that only boring people can get bored.

I couldn't agree more but I didn't want to say this in case realfortin, who is a fairly new poster, thought I was doing a CCCCC on him ;).

Probably a good idea, realfortin, to travel around a bit in order to check out which area suits you best. Start at your cousins in SD then maybe check out the north coast later? Have you got some Spanish? Learning that will also occupy some of your time. If you're really stuck for an activity you can people watch the expats who hang out in gringo bars & drink & whine all day. Just don't talk to any of them.............:laugh::laugh:

Seriously though one thing you might want to add to your list of activities is doing some voluntary work. If you made enough money to retire at 38 you've obviously got skills & talents. Maybe think about passing some of those on to some of the local children? Maybe start the relationship through your sports interests (kids here love sports) & progress from there? Maybe get the kids mums interested in a microentrepreneurial loan to set up a small co-operative business? Not your money necessarily -there are organisations which do this. I only mention this because I had an email today from an organisation which wants to make microloans available to workers in DR who are too poor to set up their own small businesses.

I could go on but you're a thinker, aren't you, so let your mind work on these ideas.

The other thing which could take your time up in certain locations on the north coast is fending off the attentions of the ladies...........I won't expand but I'm sure you get my drift. :cheeky:

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
If you're really stuck for an activity you can people watch the expats who hang out in gringo bars & drink & whine all day. Just don't talk to any of them.............

Except for Rocky's...

realfortin

Mar 28, 2007
It seems like Cabarete does sound like the place to go. I think the attraction to Santo Domingo is for the occasional "big night out" but that I can also still do once a month and just travel to the city(and crash at my cousin's).

With the best kiteboarding beach at my doorstep I would be assured to always have something to do. At the end of the day, living in Santo Domingo would be like living in any other city. Living near a resort town would be like living on holiday all year round.

Having more likeminded people in the area would be good, as long as I still have the option to immerse myself in the local culture at some times. I like the idea of being able to go to a pub and speak english and get my Canadian/uk/european fix (not American ha!) once in a while but I like the idea of having local culture as an option too.

Lambada, you have some great ideas on how to keep your time filled. I'm sure I can keep quite busy so that's great. I can see volunteer work in my future for sure.

I may consider upgrading my scuba diving qualifications too. I'd offer up my services as an extra hand to dive businesses should they ever have a day where they are short of staff. Maybe my seaman's skills (Navy time here) combined with the dive skills could get me something as a deckhand/diver/tour guide for when they are short. I wouldn't be doing it as employment but simply as a way to get to dive using free air and boat rides as well as meeting likeminded tourists.

senorblanco, 400$ for rent still seems quite low, is that actually doable in the Cabarete area? Is that a shared apartment( ie renting a room within an apartment/house with others). I'd probably like to have a place on my own later on as once I start making friends, I do like to entertain. I'll be attempting to get some gourmet cooking qualifications/training in my last year in Canada. Not for future employment but for my own pleasure. Mmmm I like to eat haha. Probably one of the reasons I have to stay so active.

I'm rambling on it seems so I better pause . Thanks for the great responses so far.

R?al

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
$550-$750 a month is definitely doable long term in some hotels in the center of Cabarete - not on the beach, but just across the street. Choose right and that can get you 1 bedroom w/seperate living room, security, A/C, 24 hr power, pool, and internet.

$650-$800 will get you a studio or maybe 1 bedroom in the newest constructions, again not on the beach but within 2 minute walk, security, A/C, 24 hr power, and internet.

You can find accomadations in Callejon de la Loma (Dominican neighborhood on edge of town).for less than $500 a month.

Bigger budgets of course work as well with many things from which to choose. Long terms aren't too difficult to find.