Samana vs. Las Galeras; and other questions :)

apexteclovesDR

Jan 9, 2008
Hey everybody:

This is an awesome board. Thanks for all the info you've posted here already.

I really need your help, if you guys have the time. Here's my main quandary:

I'll be in Samana in late February for three days and two nights. Driving in with my girl and her dominican mother. Anyway, we're trying to decide whether to stay in Las Galeras or Samana City. Here are the three things we're trying to do while on the peninsula:

-See the whales
-Chill on some beautiful, peaceful playas
-See El Limon waterfall

Which city do you guys recommend? I'm pulling for Las Galeras because it has better beaches, and it seems like there will be fewer tourists there. Anyway, here are some other questions I have:

-How long does it take to get to Playa Rincon (or perhaps another similarly beautiful beach) from Las Galeras?
-How long does it take to get from Las Galeras to Samana?
-How long does it take to get to El Limon from LG? And from Samana?
-Are there any nice beaches near Samana City? I'm not that into "Bacardi Island" because I've heard it's packed with tourists and vendors ? am I right?
-How long does a typical whale-watching boat trip take?
-Can you go whale-watching from LG?

Sorry to bombard you guys with so many questions. Any help you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
You are allotting way too little time for Samana. With only two nights, you are definitely trying to do too much. And that is assuming you have three full days, but if not, then you should choose just one of the activities, and leave the other for a beach outing.

The whale excursion will take you an entire day, and also El Limon. So where does that leave time to head out to Playa Rincon? Another worthwhile excursion is that to Los Haitises (mangroves, caves and idyllic beach).

Please look again at your schedule to see if you can squeeze out another full day. If not, I would forget the whale excursion and concentrate on Playa Rincon (if you go during the week) and El Limon, and Los Haitises.

For doing those, staying in Samana will work better, because Las Galeras is about 15 kms away from Samana and you have to back track to get to El Limon or Los Haitises.

Me_again

Bronze
Nov 21, 2004
-How long does it take to get to Playa Rincon from Las Galeras?
Fifteen to twenty minute boat ride a little longer by (4WD) vehicle

-How long does it take to get from Las Galeras to Samana?
Half hour by taxi 45 minues by gua-gua.

-How long does it take to get to El Limon from Samana?
About twenty minutes -- from LG you go through Samana

-Are there any nice beaches near Samana City?
Not really.

-Bacardi . . packed with tourists and vendors — am I right?
They were all off the beach and segregated in a "mercado" when I was there last.

-How long does a typical whale-watching boat trip take?
Go with Victoria Marine / Kim in Samana from about 09:00 to 13:00 ish.

-Can you go whale-watching from LG?
Just go with Victoria Marine / Kim in Samana from about 09:30 to 13:00 ish

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
From the best of my knowledge Las Galeras is about 26 kms from Samana City (about a 45 minute drive on a bad road), and El Limon is about 28 kms from Samana (about 40 minute drive on a good but winding road).

Last edited:

RonS

Bronze
Oct 18, 2004
Las Galeras is a very small fishing village. The real gem there is Playa Rincon which, as stated, is a boat ride a short distance from the village. The boats leave from the 'beach' at the end of the main road leading into the village. Except for Playa Rincon, I didn't think very much of the beaches in either the village or in Samana City. Having said that, I found Las Galeras to be a very nice place to visit; tranquill, and not as touristy as Samana City.

I don't know of a public beach in Samana City although it has a really nice harbor at the Malecon from which the whale boats depart daily. The best beach by far is Rincon and if you want to travel a little farther west, Las Terranas is the place where you will find absolutely wonderful beaches.

La Cascada at El Limon is west of Samana on the road to Las Terranas and can be accessed either by guagua (the public bus) or taxi. I've taken the horseback ride up to the waterfalls several times and loved it.

apexteclovesDR

Jan 9, 2008
thanks everybody...

...for the quick responses. I really appreciate your help.

We are flying into the capital on the 23rd, and on Sunday the 24th we plan on going to La Vega for the day to take in the Carnaval festivities. We plan on leaving at 7am on the 25th from the capital to Samana, either by bus or private car (4WD). This should get us into Samana by around noon or 1pm, correct? Will we be able to do anything worthwhile that day or will it already be too late? I was thinking of perhaps just going straight to El Limon and then checking in that night (in either Samana or LG).

Then the next day I was hoping to go whale-watcing in the morning and then go to Playa Rincon in the afternoon. I read in Lonely Planet that Victoria Marine's whaling trips are about two hours long, from 9am to 11am. Is that true? If so, is it still worthwhile to get over to Playa Rincon for the afternoon?

Whale-watching was the initial reason we're going to Samana and part of the reason that we're going to DR at this time of year, so I don't think we can leave that out. However, Rincon and El Limon seem just as amazing. We were planning on leaving on Wednesday the 27th to check out Carnaval in the capital. Are there any worthwhile Carnaval events in or near Samana? Then maybe we could stay up in Samana longer.

RonS

Bronze
Oct 18, 2004
You should check out Kim's website for the whale watching: Whale Samana - Home Page. But I am with Dolores, I think you are allowing too little time for Samana. Understand that Samana is a beautiful peninsula. I think that the distance to travel from Samana City to El Limon is longer than twenty minutes, and I'm almost certain that the trip there together with the horseback ride up the mountain to the waterfalls will take up most of a day. If you take time out to have lunch in El Limon, which I'd bet you will most certainly want to do, you will definitely consume the better part of a day. Moreover, once you get to Playa Rincon, you will not want to leave! The whale watching, the trip up the mountain to the waterfalls at El Limon, and Playa Rincon are three of the reasons that I return to Samana peninsula whenever I have the opportunity. Wait until you get there, and then you can determine the pace of your vacation. You will most certainly want to return again and again. I suggest that you spend more time on Samana Peninsula.

BTW, they have a wonderful parade in Samana City! In fact, for my money, it is better than the parade in the capitol, although La Vega is the best of them all.

apexteclovesDR

Jan 9, 2008
thanks for the link to victoria marine. i will email them today!

i'm hoping i can squeeze in whale watching (kim's boat leaves at 9am; i'm gonna ask her when it returns) and playa rincon into the same day.

Where would you guys recommend we stay in either LG or Samana? AC is a must, and a pool and beach access would also be nice (although who knows if we'll have time to access either). Villa Serena is the best thing I've seen so far.

And is there any nightlife in Samana or LG at all?

Sorry for all the questions!

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Even with the extra night in Samana on the 27th (after scrapping carnival in Santo Domingo) it is too little. But if you must...

You could have an extra day if you left for Samana after carnival on Sunday. You could leave La Vega at 4pm, and still get in pretty much of the essence of the carnival.

That would mean you could have a relaxing day at Playa Rincon on Monday. And book the whale excursion for the next day. Then on the third day (26th) you could head for El Limon -- as RonS says, it's a whole day thing. Then a relaxing evening. That gives you the 27th for visiting Los Haitises, or traveling to Las Terrenas. Return to SD on the 28th. Still it's doing a lot. There is so much natural beauty in Samana, it is a waste to be rushed.

Villas Serenas gets good reviews and will have air conditioning. Do not expect much regarding night life in this area.

See other Samana options in Dominican Republic directory of businesses, products and services

you will be exhausted after the El Limon hike to do much more than just relax

RonS

Bronze
Oct 18, 2004
There are more knowledge people on DR1 than me, without a doubt, but I didn't find much night life in Las Galeras. I stayed at one of Juan & Lobo's properties, El Castillo, when I was there. I was nice, spacious, with ac, but no beach. JuanyLolo: Villas and Bungalow for rent in Las Galeras, Samana, Dominican Republic. I loved it.

My next trip I intend to stay at Las Ballenas Escondidas, Las Ballenas Escondidas - Home, which is halfway between Samana City and Las Galeras. I haven't stayed there before so I can't comment too much about it. It looks great, though.

I've gotta tell ya, doing both the whales and Playa Rincon in one day is stretching it. I would suggest one day for each. After you go out to see the whales, the boat will stop at the island off the coast (the name escapes me at the moment) where there is a nice, albeit, small beach where you can swim and sun bath. The locals set up and fix great meals there so you can do lunch and the boat will return you to Samana City when you are ready.

apexteclovesDR

Jan 9, 2008
Thanks again for all this great info. Yeah, honestly I would love to stay for a week. We'll come back for sure, as we have a lot of friends and family in the DR, but unfortunately most are in the capital, santiago, and barahona.

Another question: Do you think we'll have enough time if we get to El Limon around 1 or 2 in the afternoon? I know that's not a full day, but hopefully it's enough time for a swim.

RonS

Bronze
Oct 18, 2004
You'll definitely have enough time to get up to the Cascada. The only question is: will you have enough energy. The horses will carry you up the mountain most of the trip, however, you will be required to hike the remainder of the way to the waterfalls. If you tried to combine two adventures in one day you will not have enough engergy to enjoy the second.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Do not recommend starting out at the Limon trek at 1 or 2pm. It is best to get there at 8am so that you make the hike in the cool, before the sun is out. Also, you need to make a provision for rain. Do not attempt the Limon hike if it has been raining in the past 24 hours. The mud ruins the trip. So you need to stay flexible of your day, to avoid it if it has been raining.

Summing up... do not recommend the hike under the blazing sun. And do not recommend it if it has been raining.

As RonS says... unless you are extremely fit, we doubt you will have the energy to do two activities in a day. As he comments, we doubt you will have enough energy to truly enjoy El Limon if you get there after a long drive. In my opinion, El Limon is best done on foot, not on horseback.

Me_again

Bronze
Nov 21, 2004
In my opinion, El Limon is best done on foot, not on horseback.
Defintely concur; it's the best way by far -- but try to avoid doing it the day after a heavy rainfall. You will be up to wherever in mud and horse manure.

apexteclovesDR

Jan 9, 2008
You guys convinced me. I'm gonna stay for three nights and four days. First day, El Limon; second day, whale watching; third day, Playa Rincon.

Thanks for all your help!