British Citizenship

Kateinyork

Mar 8, 2007
www.facebook.com
Hi there, quick question for you - or 2! My husband is Dominican and lives here in England. At what point can he get British Citizenship?

Also, we would one day like to move to Spain (before retiring to DR!) - when would he be able to do that? Myself and my daughter are both British so could go anytime but of course I don't think it would be so easy for him to go - can anyone shed any light on this for us. My parents are planning on moving out there too in the next couple of years. It's just a thought at the moment but we want to start doing some research on it now as we want to make some long term plans workwise and house wise.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Wikipedia said:
For those married to a British citizen the applicant must:

* hold indefinite leave to remain in the UK (or an equivalent such as Right of Abode or Irish citizenship)
* have lived legally in the UK for three years
* show sufficient knowledge of life in the UK, either by passing the Life in the United Kingdom test or by attending combined English language and citizenship classes. Proof of this must be supplied with one's application for naturalisation. Exemption for this and the language requirement (see below) is normally granted for those aged 65 or over, and may be granted to those aged between 60 and 65.
* meet specified English, Welsh or Scottish Gaelic language competence standards. Those who pass the Life in the UK test are deemed to meet English language requirements.

British nationality law - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If he is currently a legal UK resident, it should not be that difficult for him to get a visa for Spain, and once he is a citizen it will not be an issue as his British passport will give him as much right to enter Spain as you and your parents.