Looking for satellite dealer

megabiteme

[ - Mute Button -] Click!
Jan 9, 2008
hello there--just signed in. I wanted to know where can i find a satellite dealer close to 27,church hill. i live close to luis thomen in ensanche quisqurya. I have a 4 foot dish with a xtreme ultra and i want to make it motorized. I need a motor and also a tripod/and masts. any thoughts? The dude I'm dealing with here only wants to rip me off and telling me that i need to add another antenna... NO I DONT!! jeez, can anyone help? thanks

megabiteme

[ - Mute Button -] Click!
Jan 9, 2008
satellite dealer

Looking for a satellite dealer close to church hill and or 27. i live close to luis thomen in ensanche quisqueya. any help?

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
sure you don't need another antenna - you can motorize the one you have. Of course you won't be able to point it to a satellite and lock in on a beam for data transmission, but then you knew that, didn't you?

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Looking for a satellite dealer close to church hill and or 27. i live close to luis thomen in ensanche quisqueya. any help?

First, satellite dealers are not like grocery stores which are a dime a dozen in the DR. You won?t find one at every corner.

Second, look in the news papers for SD, I have seen some advertised there.

Third, 4 foot dish? Surely you are not talking about receiving Dish Network. Unless you just want to pick up the few Puerto Rico channels. Those using a 6 foot dish suffer from rain fade.

I have a 4 foot dish with a xtreme ultra
Do you know of better technology for the Viewsat?s then the rest of us in the DR?
I was unaware that VS made a "Extreme Ultra".
Thought they only had a VS Extreme and a VS Ultra.

Don SantiagoDR

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
... or are you just looking to pickup International satellites and not Dish Network?

49erman

On Vacation!
Sep 3, 2006
Third, 4 foot dish? Surely you are not talking about receiving Dish Network. Unless you just want to pick up the few Puerto Rico channels. Those using a 6 foot dish suffer from rain fade.

That is what I use- every time I reprogram the dish, I get a different set of channels. Sometimes I get all the local channels from LA, Denver, NY and Chicago. And other times, none of those and only the PR channels. I once had ESPN, but the last few times, I haven't gotten anything. Totally random. Although I can't compalin about the price!

pyratt

Bronze
Jan 14, 2007
While we're on the subject, can anyone tell me how to get SAT FED (not cable) internet in the Jarabacoa, La Vega, Santiago or higher elevations?....Does Hughes Net work?

Also, for a home in those areas, which dish service/set-up works best. I too, would like the ability to receive U.S. or English channels as well as DR/PR stations.

Janin

On Vacation....
Jul 31, 2007
Large Selection

...would like the ability to receive U.S. or English channels as well as DR/PR stations.
There are very many US channels but no real British ones (except BBC America).
If I am not wrong there are three or four PR stations, all with an excellent signal and quality level (near 100%).

Janin

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Although we sell Direcway systems from Hughesnet, they do not allow legal activations in the DR. So, any Hughesnet system that you see is probably activated illegally. This may work for many, but for most of our customers, it does not work. It depends on mission criticality. We do sell this solution into other islands. It is a cheap solution, Hughes sometimes move the beams on us with no notice and there is no upgrade path. So, for non-mission-critical applications, it may work and is the cheapest satellite internet solution.

For a more robust solution we use an IDirect Platform. It is legal, it works, we get good support, it is a little more expensive. With Satellite, you get what you pay for.

Cannot answer television questions.

While we're on the subject, can anyone tell me how to get SAT FED (not cable) internet in the Jarabacoa, La Vega, Santiago or higher elevations?....Does Hughes Net work?

Also, for a home in those areas, which dish service/set-up works best. I too, would like the ability to receive U.S. or English channels as well as DR/PR stations.

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
sure you don't need another antenna - you can motorize the one you have. Of course you won't be able to point it to a satellite and lock in on a beam for data transmission, but then you knew that, didn't you?

I looked in to the posibility a few years ago. They didn't make actuators that could handle a 4 or 6' fibreglass dish. It was cheaper to install 3 dishes. 110-119-121. 123 now has some great HD programming. As for a 4' dish working, I'm sceptical. If a 6' gets rained out surely a 4' must rain-out faster. As for dish latino, I don't think you have to move your dish. Of course having to change positions requires a receiver with those capabilities. I don't think the guy is trying to rip anyone off. He's just giving good advice.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
I looked in to the posibility a few years ago. They didn't make actuators that could handle a 4 or 6' fibreglass dish. It was cheaper to install 3 dishes. 110-119-121. 123 now has some great HD programming. As for a 4' dish working, I'm sceptical. If a 6' gets rained out surely a 4' must rain-out faster. As for dish latino, I don't think you have to move your dish. Of course having to change positions requires a receiver with those capabilities. I don't think the guy is trying to rip anyone off. He's just giving good advice.

I know Eddy .. I was a little sarcastic .. but I don't do 'sarcastic' very well and usually it falls flat ... :laugh: Rain fade on television is a bigger problem than on internet satellite .. We work with different communications protocols and different BUCs, so, if there is an area of fade, we would go bigger dish or higher strength Buc. A good and proper satellite install does not worry about rainfade. So, for television it is a little different of course .. and one can install three dishes cheaply. For satellite connectivity, the cost structure would be different. We have a mission critical customer in Haiti of all places .. that has all the bits and pieces for a quick repoint to a different satellite set up. But it cost them ...

Here are the real sweet motorized ones. I don't know what I want more .. the dish or the jeepeta ... I've seen a custom mount for a bigger dish but it was really expensive to do.

Motosatmobile.jpg

Last edited:

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
I know Eddy .. I was a little sarcastic .. but I don't do 'sarcastic' very well and usually it falls flat ... :laugh: Rain fade on television is a bigger problem than on internet satellite .. We work with different communications protocols and different BUCs, so, if there is an area of fade, we would go bigger dish or higher strength Buc. A good and proper satellite install does not worry about rainfade. So, for television it is a little different of course .. and one can install three dishes cheaply. For satellite connectivity, the cost structure would be different. We have a mission critical customer in Haiti of all places .. that has all the bits and pieces for a quick repoint to a different satellite set up. But it cost them ...

Here are the real sweet motorized ones. I don't know what I want more .. the dish or the jeepeta ... I've seen a custom mount for a bigger dish but it was really expensive to do.

Motosatmobile.jpg
I llike the sweet motorized one. LOL. I clicked on your post but my response was intended for the OP that felt someone was trying to rip him off. I've looked around for an actuator system for a 6' dish and couldn't find one. I know they make them for the C/Ku dishes, had 4 of them at one time but it would take a lot of imaginative work to adapt one to a DVB dish. Plus, one would need a receiver capable of moving the dish. I don't know if any present day FTA units are so equipped. I had a old Pansat that was able to move a dish but that was long before the modern day units. Even so, every time you want to change channels if it's from a different satellite, you have to press the button and wait for it to move. Hopefully the wind didn't move the dish or you will have to fine tune it. By the time that's done, the program is over. LOL Untill Echo Star widens the footprints of the satellites to include the DR, "Won't hold my breath", we are stuck with the min. 6' dish for a fairly decent signal. Along with 2 or 3 more for reception of the all their programming. I know the 4's work but the bigger the better.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
.... 110-119-121. 123 now has some great HD programming.

Eddy,

Are you talking in the DR on this? MY Dominican dishes don?t appear to have the range of vertical motion to get the 123 or the 61.5

When aligned for the 119 only leaves about 1/2" or so of thread on the arm, so would need an extension to get to 123.

Problem with trying to get 61.5, also ran out of vertical arm adjustment on dish end of the arm.

Don

Janin

On Vacation....
Jul 31, 2007
Three is enough.

... a few years ago. They didn't make actuators that could handle a 4 or 6' fibreglass dish.

Hmm, that's interesting.
We were offered a motorized (motor is European) 4ft-dish (made locally) which is supposed to catch 22 satellites.
Although at a tempting price I like to keep things simple and for us three satellites are quite sufficient. ;)

Janin

Janin

On Vacation....
Jul 31, 2007
All You Want?

...telling me that i need to add another antenna...
Well, depending on the quality of your present dish you may try a motor on it and indeed get a lot of satellites. If it's a 'criollo' dish I'd replace it with a larger one.

On the other hand a 6ft-dish of local production aiming at EchoStar 7, 8 & 10 and at Anik F3 (2 LNB's needed) would give you all the channelsd you are looking for (without the installation of a motor).
I for one prefer not to have a motor and keep things as simple as possible.

Janin

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Eddy,

Are you talking in the DR on this? MY Dominican dishes don?t appear to have the range of vertical motion to get the 123 or the 61.5

When aligned for the 119 only leaves about 1/2" or so of thread on the arm, so would need an extension to get to 123.

Problem with trying to get 61.5, also ran out of vertical arm adjustment on dish end of the arm.

Don

The way around that is to replace you existing threaded rod with a longer one. Cut it off a few inches before the "T" and weld a longer one on. You should have no problem manually moving from 61.5 to 129.
Also, when you move your dish from 1 Sat. to another, ex. moving from 110 to 119, not only to you have to lower the dish but also move it to the right. Think of the changes you would have to make to your normal dish mount to accomodate an actuator assembly. I agree everything's possible but is it worth the effort and headaches..

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
On the other hand a 6ft-dish of local production aiming at EchoStar 7, 8 & 10 and at Anik F3 (2 LNB's needed) would give you all the channelsd you are looking for (without the installation of a motor).
Janin

Hi Janin,

Was not sure how you meant the above statement,
2 LNB?s total or 2 LNB's (1 for 119 and 1 for 118).

If the latter, there is a new LNB with excellent specs that covers both the 119/118 satellites. That is the one I am using, it is called CB2008A. Just need to define (add) "one" extra TP on 119 and when you do a scan, it will pick up all the TP?s on 118. Define (add) the TP of 11715 SR 20000, Auto, Auto. You will end up with 40+ TP?s on the sat file for 119 (Echostar 7).

Don

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Hi Janin,

Was not sure how you meant the above statement,
2 LNB?s total or 2 LNB's (1 for 119 and 1 for 118).

If the latter, there is a new LNB with excellent specs that covers both the 119/118 satellites. That is the one I am using, it is called CB2008A. Just need to define (add) "one" extra TP on 119 and when you do a scan, it will pick up all the TP?s on 118. Define (add) the TP of 11715 SR 20000, Auto, Auto. You will end up with 40+ TP?s on the sat file for 119 (Echostar 7).

Don

I don't think there is a sat. @ 118. What some people have done, is install a modified LNB support install a 2nd LNB and set the dish in between 110 and 119. You can pick up programming from both but the quality sucks. You get 2 weak receptions.