(Yet another thread with) Whale watching questions

mariel

Dominisueca
Apr 7, 2004
I'm going to be living in SD while I'm down there on vacation and this year my goal is to go whale watching.

I've contacted several tour operators in SD because we (2 people) would like to go on a tour with transfer to and from SD which is the most convenient for us because we don't drive. With the pardon of the runners of DR1, Emely Tours haven't answered my e-mails or the phone when I call (I make sure to call during their office hours as to their website), I got the mail I sent Turinter back because the e-mail address doesn't exist and there's a The Real DR offering tours on Wednesdays and Fridays as opposed to Sundays. I'm awaiting for answers from Colonial Tours, Kim Beddall (sorry if I misspelled your name) and Desde el Medio tours.

My questions are:

- Isn't the whale watching trips supposed to be only on Sundays?
- Are there any other tour operators/people I should contact that can offer me what I need?
- If no to the question above, is there anyone in Saman? who can provide with the tour? I'll see if I can book a simple hotel where we can spend the one night and take the bus back to SD.
- Does anyone know of "The Real DR" or do they seem serious? Check their excursion at: Dominican Republic Whale Watching Excursion

Thanks in advance and I'm sorry for asking so many questions :confused: This is the only event I want to plan before setting a foot on DR.

Last edited:

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Contact Kim Beddall, the Canadian expat who founded whale watching in Samana and offers by far the best experience. Many dr1ers have gone with her and speak highly of her tours. The difference is that she is truly interested in the whales. For the others, it is just a way to make money.

You can email her at kim.beddall@usa.net Her website Whale Samana - Home Page

Since you say you have already sent a message to Kim, you can call her office at 809-538-2588. Her secretary speaks English

Shoreham1

Jan 11, 2008
Excursions booked with the Real DR

Hi Mariel,
I actually went on the Whale Watching tour 2 weeks ago which I booked via the Real DR Excursion Store (http://www.therealdr.com/store/ - I think) and just to let you know its one of the most amazing tours of my life. The whales are so serene and simply beautiful, theres no other way to describe them. You are are going to have a fantastic time!!!

In regards to the Real DR, I found them "very serious" indeed. I booked online, paid via credit card online and within 10 hours I had received my excursion voucher via mail containing everything I needed to know about my excursions (I also booked Outback Safari and the Santo Doming tour). The guide arrived on time to collect me from my hotel and everything about all 3 days out was exactly how the Real DR described it on their site. Food was good, the guides were excellent and all in all it was all very good value for money.

I only found their site by searching in Google, however their site looks (and is) very professional and thats what caused me to book with them - they simply come across on their website as a company who know what they are doing.

I will definitely be booking my future excursions with them and I just thought I'd let you know my experience.

Enjoy the Dominican Republic and of course, those gorgeous whales !!!