Normal Gold Label Presidente Beer is getting sacre

Nov 27, 2002
www.compunorma.com
Hello Members

It is getting harder and harder to get a normal gold label Presidente. Most of the bars only sell Presidente Light which does not have the same taste. So what do you all think about that, will Presidente gold label go away?:surprised

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Hello Members

It is getting harder and harder to get a normal gold label Presidente. Most of the bars only sell Presidente Light which does not have the same taste. So what do you all think about that, will Presidente gold label go away?:surprised

I noticed that too. I don't think it will go away, people right now are just going through the "light" fad. Trust me I've seen many fads come and go as it regards to beer in The DR and in the end normal Presidente is always back as strong as ever.

Every time a new beer comes onto the market people rave about it for a few months and then eventually tire of it. Remember Bohemia, Brahma, Miller, etc...These are not selling as well anymore.

Tor

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Where in the country is this happen ? In Sosua, Puerto Plata and Rio San Juan, You got the normal Presidente, if You dont ask for light.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
The Presidente truck delivers to us every week and lately it hasn't had any normal beer - only light

Nov 27, 2002
www.compunorma.com
I am here in Nagua, If you ask for una Cerveza they give you a Presidente Light by default. So I have to say three times "Una Presidente Normal pero no light Normal Normal".This ****es me off. Happened dozen of times. In the Discos they don Sell Normal anymore, aswell in the cafes. in the most frequented bars of Nagua you order a normal one and the answer is "No hay"

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
I am here in Nagua, If you ask for una Cerveza they give you a Presidente Light by default. So I have to say three times "Una Presidente Normal pero no light Normal Normal".This ****es me off. Happened dozen of times. In the Discos they don Sell Normal anymore, aswell in the cafes. in the most frequented bars of Nagua you order a normal one and the answer is "No hay"

the same thing happened to me in certain places in Cotui and like you it pi$$es me off too. I sent my niece to the colmado to get me some Presidente and when she came back she only had one. She said they didn't carry them anymore as they weren't selling and they only had this one beer left over. You could tell the beer had been in that freezer for a looong time. I really hope I'm wrong and things get back to normal in few months.

BF1

Dec 7, 2007
www.aplatanados.com
It happens because Cerveceria Presidente is pushing wery hard Presidente Light, they pay a lot less taxes on it since the tax is proportional at the amount of alchool and the selling price is the same.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Wow... The Great Presidente Shortage of 2008 is upon us...

The Horror.......The HORROR!!!

Hey man, if this happens this is a great catastrophe. Haven't you heard Johnny Venturas song about rum. He says he doesn't care if we run out of rice, milk or gas as long as we don't run out of rum...Same goes for Presidente. It's part of our identity...

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
We sell approx 4 times as much regular Presidente, over light and have had no problems getting either one.
As best as I know, in Sosua, the default beer is a normal Presidente.

49erman

On Vacation!
Sep 3, 2006
Ever try a ****adente at just below room temperature? Nasty stuff! You can tell from the headaches the next morning, not unlike Singha in Thailand that there are some inferior ingredients in it... Don't mean to be negative, but I will take a Heineken or Bud Light anyday!!!

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Ever try a ****adente at just below room temperature? Nasty stuff! You can tell from the headaches the next morning, not unlike Singha in Thailand that there are some inferior ingredients in it... Don't mean to be negative, but I will take a Heineken or Bud Light anyday!!!

Presidente is not meant to be drunk at room temperature, this is why Dominicans will pour it out if it gets warm. If you like Bud light (talk about "beer" that tastes like pi$$) then you now have Presidente Light to drink.

Jan

Bronze
Jan 3, 2002
Santo Domingo Este
www.colonialzone-dr.com
Same here

It's the same here in Colonial Zone. When I go to the Colmados and ask for a Presidente they usually give me the light. I have to make sure I say normal when I ask for a bien fria now and still many times they give me a light. If they don't have the normal Presidente I usually get Bohemia.
I can drink the light, of course, but I still prefer the good ole regular beer. Better flavor.

Janin

On Vacation....
Jul 31, 2007
Even Worse

Ever try a ****adente at just below room temperature? Nasty stuff!
The stuff is lousy at any temperature and does have side effects when not consumed 'bien fr?a'.

Bohemia Especial, for example, is far better and can even be drunk at palatable temperatures.

The 'Presidente' beer was pushed to its popularity by enormous advertising (which added to its price) and emulating tourists...
And yes, the 'light version' is even worse... :bunny:

Janin

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Of course now everybody is a beer expert...

Presidente is a Pilsener (and a pretty good one I think) which some consider to be the best genre of beer brewed in the world. Many beer connoisseurs consider Czech beers to be some of the top beers. Presidente comes from the same lineage. Some people consider stouts to be the best, and others think ales (specially Belgian) to be the finest. What it comes down to is what taste you prefer (to some Budweiser is a great beer...and that's OK). After having tried many, many different types of beers I now tend to go for the heavier types of brews and can't stand the light stuff.

tee

Bronze
Sep 14, 2007
Cabarete
Who says that Brahma sales are going down? In all respects, it is increasing and becoming a stronger competion to Presidente, and definitely stronger than Bohemia.
I prefer Brahma, for me personally it has more flavour than Presidente, and also it is quite a bit cheaper. You will always find a 6 pack of brahma on sale in the supermarkets, usually for around 125 pesos or less. Most colmados sell 3 large Brahmas for 99 pesos. I see more and more Dominicans drinking it, and I ask them if they are drinking Brahma because it is cheaper, or if they like the flavour. Most of they tell me that of course, the price is much more affordable, and they like it as much, and in many cases, more than Presidente. Of course, Presidente is the monopoly here, and that is probably the way that it will stay, but they are definitely losing sales to Brahma and Brahma Light, which incidently tastes quite similar to Corona when you add a wedge of lime.

Also, I know most of the restaurant and bar owners in both Sosua and Cabarete, and a lot of them are stocking more and more Brahma as they purchase it for less than Presidente. Most establishments purchase a small Presidente for 35 to 38 pesos, which is ridiculously high. It is no wonder that the bars are selling for between 80 and 100 pesos as there is so little money in it for them.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
The stuff is lousy at any temperature and does have side effects when not consumed 'bien fr?a'.

Bohemia Especial, for example, is far better and can even be drunk at palatable temperatures.

The 'Presidente' beer was pushed to its popularity by enormous advertising (which added to its price) and emulating tourists...
And yes, the 'light version' is even worse... :bunny:

Janin

Just to clarify one thing, both Bohemia and Presidente are made by the same comnpany.